Author Topic: Sites  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Kalaban

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • #TooLazy
    • View Profile
Sites
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:32:24 pm »
From what I've seen, a lot of people use free hosting sites to create their own site for their group (which is nice in my own opinion, but it seems to get a bit old~) To me, a person using HTML and CSS to create their own personal site from scratch, I don't know what people don't do it this way? It's a lot more fun and lets you have a lot more room to breathe and move around. Yes, it takes a few days to learn coding and such (maybe a week if you haven't worked with free hosting sites before) and takes much more time to do, but there are a lot of good tutorials out there that work well. And there are plenty of free domains that are much smaller. I enjoy doing it by scratch, after a few weeks of experience compared to the free site version.

Your thoughts? (I'll provide answers if you have questions with that block of text right there)
In-game Username: Kalaban

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
Re: Sites
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »
I agree it does get old quick, but I think people use free hosting sites because it is easier for them. But in my opinion I think making a site from scratch can make it turn out great and it can show that you put lots of hard work into it. I made a site with my grandparents once, and it was hard at first, but it got easier because they showed me how to add things. But I think using free sites are perfectly fine. It all matters if you feel comfortable with it. :3

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:32:06 pm »
I think it would just require a bit too much effort for someone with no previous experience to make a website from scratch just for a Feralheart group----and oftentimes one that will go inactive within a few days or weeks and make the site (plus all the effort that went into it) useless. Site creators are just much easier and quicker to use for someone who wants to start up a roleplay right away. Some people aren't as focused on websites as well, and maybe just use it as a 'dumping ground' of information and not much else. Plus, coding can be difficult to learn for some people, and others just don't have the patience. For some people yes it might take a week to learn, but for others it could take much longer.

I haven't run across many people who have made their own group websites from scratch, but I think it depends on if you want to put in that much effort or not. Making a website that way CAN be fun and rewarding, but it's just not the right option for most. Both making a website from scratch and just building one with a website maker have their positives and negatives but both serve the same purpose. So really I don't see the need to judge either one, it just depends on what the group leader is more comfortable with, how much time and effort they are willing to put forth, and what option would be best for them.

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:07:59 am »
To be honest I feel like sites can sometimes lead to receiving help from your pack members and keeping in touch with them better. I personally don't think I would want to go through the trouble of learning and using coding to create and maintain a site for a game when I have an easier way to do it. Everyone has lives outside of Feral Heart and learning coding for something like that seems more like a waste of time if you have other important things to do and you aren't planning on doing coding for a living. Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's really all that practical for those who have a lot to do outside of Feral Heart.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 04:18:13 am »
Personally, I love to see RP's with websites. It shows that the creator(s) has thought it out, and put time and dedication into it. And I think that calls for a better organized and more interesting/fun RP. Not that there's any thing wrong or less exciting with unplanned or site less RP's, but I think websites are a great idea for any RP. I have no issue on whether they're made from scratch or from a free web builder, as I don't believe the method of creation affects the over all final presentation of the information itself.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.