Author Topic: MapMaker Multiplayer?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline barrettm82

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • I've lost my marbles, Have you seen them?
    • View Profile
Re: MapMaker Multiplayer?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 05:06:57 pm »
Interesting idea.  Would be something to try out.
When the path ends, keep going forward and make a new trail.

JazzForLife

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
EPIC IDEA FTW.
I am horrible at MapMaker, and having others help me out with it would be a dream.
I would love to learn from others. Nice nice nice idea!

TealSkeletore

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 12:29:31 am »
This is an awesome idea! I would never have thought of it.

I wonder if it is possible in future but right now it wouldn't be because:

This means that map data such as heightmaps, texture maps, materials files, etc would have to be stored on the server. Everything would have to be connected otherwise you and your friend wouldn't actually see what is being added on the separate sides of the game. Since it would be stored on the server, it would basically be the same problem as presets and it would take up a lot of room.

Well even though it's not really possible and would be difficult to incorporate it is still an epic idea xD I wonder if some day something like this will be added xD
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:33:38 am by Teal Skeletore »

SilentEcho

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:44:43 am »
I guess you could send your friends the files couldn't you?

TealSkeletore

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:52 am »
But you see, even if your friend has those files, when they add a new object on the mapmaker, it won't be visible to you, because you don't have the updated version of the file from when they added the new object. And vice versa.

Offline lugailover

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
    • View Profile
    • Foxes of Ireland
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »
FANTASTIC IDEA ^_^ hope the admins put this idea in for the next patch :D but wait....
what if you made your own meshes the others might not see yours and even worse
it COULD even crash
just my opinion but anyway fantastic idea

Offline kaijuuaoiro

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 03:34:07 am »
it could be interesting if it was possible, it could be like playing command and conquer coperative.
the file should be handled and saved by the session creator in order to prevent stealing like any cooperative game onlyne. also I think the crator of the stage should define areas where any of the players work, so the other players could not mess with what you have already done, also the arquitect would have right to undone or erase what other players do, I think also, that the maps should be able to be done logged in only, so the name of the creator would be displayed on a preseted 3d bildboard in game with all the supporters.
it could be most possible to be realised if using only models or items available in the defauld tool, if so,
when the file is saved etc ot would not affect what the other does,  the file update would be just a matter of reading few data and loading from the file of the main participant.

custom models would be complicated to load, because it would need to transmit the data to all the rest of the participans and would be likely to crash or desync anytime one has loaded a custom model and the other player needed to update the file etc, it would not be imposible, but a bit complycated to prevent glitches.