Author Topic: Idea: FH "Servers"  (Read 1393 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
Idea: FH "Servers"
« on: June 01, 2019, 11:36:59 pm »
I've been tinkering around with a copy of my game to the point where I feel like I am creating, or may be able to create, something new.
This is my replacement for LC. It's a WIP hub for something Warriors-like, but when I replaced the OG LC with it, my test character spawned in a black void and the map file for LC couldn't be found even after resetting the homepoint.

That gave me an idea:
Could it be possible for people to make their own different versions of FH, with only their own maps, objects, models, and so on?
They aren't really separate servers per say, as they all run on the same source code which cannot be edited. However, a person could have multiple different FH copies that function as "separate" games. Characters are tough to tackle; players should be mindful about which characters can be played on each version.
Even though mine didn't work, I think it possible; after all, LC was overhauled before in 1.13.
This could be very useful for devoted mapped roleplays!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:01:28 am by SergeantBoulder »
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

AlphaEclipse

Re: Idea: FH "Servers"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 03:24:17 am »
What you have stated is essentially how Impressive Title severs run! Unsurprisingly, many people have brought up the idea of making separate "servers" for FH as IT does, however it is important to differentiate between servers and the source. Feralheart, as of right now, is closed source, meaning no one has access to the source code besides KovuLDK. Meanwhile, the server is managed by Razmirz, giving him the ability to edit certain aspects of the game's online function and database.

Unfortunately, Kovu supposedly stated in the past that he does not want FH to be open source, so to gain access to the source code and make a completely separate Feralheart server could lead to legal issues. This is why the game rules includes that nit-bit about editing encrypted game files. Similarly, many people argue that if FH was open source, the fanbase would dissipate as there would be so many servers popping up with relatively little different from the original.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:25:06 am »
IT is open source
FH is not

this also prob wouldn't help the declining population
so
nah

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 03:43:16 am »
Similarly, many people argue that if FH was open source, the fanbase would dissipate as there would be so many servers popping up with relatively little different from the original.
this is exactly what happened to impressive title. especially with all the drama, oh my god.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:21:48 pm »
it is very possible. FH+ was pretty much this. seperate servers? technically possible with new maps added.