Poll

How do you feel about sparkle characters?

I despise them!
I don't like them, but I won't comment on it.
They aren't bugging me. (meh)
I don't know how to feel about them...
I am perfectly okay with them!
I am really fond of those characters.

Author Topic: Sparkle Characters: Do you like them?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkle Characters: Do you like them?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »
Well in my opinion, the design of a character should reflect the personality. And if people have outrageous looking characters with colours flowing about everywhere then I can make the assumption that the character has a very cheerful, excited personality! I have no issues with sparkle characters whatsoever, my only pet peeve about it is when some of them think it's fun to annoy the floof out of everyone they meet.

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline kinoei

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • nyeeeessss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:20 pm »
It really depends...

As said above, some are just random trolls who do it really just to bug your eyes.
Then there's people who actually make their OCs and whatnot with 'unrealistic' colors, I don't know, maybe some are custom species so it's normal for them, but as long as they actually RP properly, I have nothing against them. Not, you know, I ma queEn of al elemenetes!11 uendrworl and haeven, ther4 I am OP11!1 pOSSesS E vERYTHING!111 and look like an unicorn!
(I'm actually fine w powers lol, just not ones who abuse the living days out of them)
I don't know what to say about neons, though... I mean, as long as they don't make it so that your eyes rot away... (In that I mean neon body, neon markings, basically neon everything... Basically the trolls.) then it's fine, like markings, eyes, etc.

Offline Raddlegoose

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 04:29:45 pm »
They aren't bugging anyone, so no. Everyone can choose who they wanna be as long as it doesn't affect anybody in a harmful way.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 04:59:07 pm »
All of my characters are sparkle characters.
I have no problem with them - and I think they're more creative than "realistic" characters.

Offline alexterri

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • We are One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:11 pm »
That depends. Do you mean characters that just have bright/unrealistic characters, or actual sparkle dogs?

If the former, I have no issue with them! I think they're creative actually

BUT, if you mean the obnoxious neon coloured sparkle dogs? Yeah, I can't stand those. They hurt my eyes DX

Offline Taizer

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • "I can have a margarita at 11:30 am if I want to."
    • TaizerFH
    • TaizerFH
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »
I was sitting in Grounds the other morning and was accused of being 'A Noob' because my Taizer character (as you can see in sig) is not exactly a natural looking beastie. (I'm not a noob by any definition of the word, or I hope not anyway.)

But personally I really like sparkle characters! Shows imagination with colors, but however there is a fine line between good working pallets and ones that out right clash and are painful to look at, but most seem spot on with looking good with complimenting colors.

The only really eye burning ones I've seen were ones created to deliberately mock people who own sparkles. (The mocks tend to be such vicious shades of yellow and pink neon etc and you might need sunglasses to look at them.)

As for how they RP the character in terms of personality, well it really depends on the player! I've met some pretty cliche and 'mary sue ' type characters who were perfectly natural realistically colored wolves and I've met absolutely brilliantly back-grounded 'sparkle' characters who were not that cliche at all.

But  I think everyone has at least one sparkle character they made at some point, even if they don't tell anyone about them. \ovo/
Looking for my converted mesh? You can find them here ! https://taizerfh.wixsite.com/digitalviolence

Offline Lazy

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Ship Loves You <3
    • http://JShipArts.deviantart.com
    • http://lazy-jenn.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 06:11:17 pm »
I honestly dont mind them. I sort of love seeing what colors people put together, because Orange and Blue are fab together.

Anyway, I actually have an overly bright character, that isnt a wolf or on the game, and I love her dearly.

I will admit that some make my eyeballs hurt from staring at them, but I am ok with this.

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »
"Sparkle" characters can be really nice if they have a good color palette and aren't eye-blinding- it's all about decent color usage. They aren't inherently less creative than natural-colored characters (and vice-versa).

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline Tailgate

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • no longer active
    • spxcepirate
    • 887Horse
    • cassiopirate
    • birb4
    • yllsa_
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »
I'm a huge fan of making characters with unrealistic colors and features. I'm also not sure what you mean by eye blinding, but I probably have one of those omg. One of my characters that I love a lot is bright pink/cyan and I love him. I was told a bunch of times people liked his design, so maybe not,
But in general I'm just a sucker for pink dogs and magic and especially bright designs. Idk.

If you want to contact me, I am most likely to respond on DA!

Offline BrokenAndFree

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Just keep up with me.
    • BabyMarshie
    • princesssnowshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 01:24:49 am »
I agree with most of the things previously said. They can be (and have been) done right, and look nice. As long as someone isn't using a "sparkle character" for trolling purposes, then by all means, more power to them.