Author Topic: Quick question about maps and 1.17  (Read 940 times)

Offline Windstrider

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Soon-to-be college student!
    • Windstrider2017
    • windstrider2017@gmail.com
    • Windstrider2017
    • View Profile
Quick question about maps and 1.17
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:11:26 am »
This is a bit of a doofy question but...supposedly presets count as custom mods (I never really thought of them as mods but the '1.17 Notice' thread lists them as such so I guess they are?). Do user-made maps have potential issues with 1.17 too? I'm not complaining, simply asking before I start making any maps. Also, I haven't been on here in ages, so I might ask a noob-ish question every now and then.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
Re: Quick question about maps and 1.17
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:24:04 am »
Aye, the term 'modification' spans anything that is modified by a user. I'd encourage continuing to make mods and reporting any issues that are found. c:
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:43:38 am »
Hey Windstrider! I remember you and missed you and your maps! <3 I would actually argue that maps would not be considered a modification but merely an "add-on" as a preset would be. Naturally they should not have any issues unless a new patch comes out totally revising the method of which maps appear, etc., which I personally doubt would ever be released any time soon.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:33:20 am »
I would actually argue "add-ons"
Chellenge accepted. =P

*looks at definition for add-on* : something (such as an accessory or added feature) that enhances the thing it is added to.

I can see how that would make someone think maps/presets can be considered add-ons, however... While a new map is being added, it's not a new unofficial 'feature' or 'function' as it is something you can inherently do with the game 'as-is'. Therefore, you're not actually adding something new, just creating a work of art with the tools provided. If you were to add a new map maker function (like say... a random map generator?) however, this would indeed be an add-on as it provides something that the game can not already do.

Also Steam shows things like maps, items, etc for Skyim as 'mods' as shown below:

But SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) I would consider to be an add-on, as it provides functions that are not there to begin with.

I'll add that simply calling them all mods is easier to type.

Just my take on this though. xD

tl;dr
mod = existing feature
add-on = new feature

As for the topic, oops I missed the real question here:
"Do user-made maps have potential issues with 1.17 too?"
Not likely, some of the new things were presets, markings, an animation, and a tiny change to the user interface map position. Maps should work just fine, but there's always the odd chance something could go wonky. xD
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »
What? “Add-on” was not meant to be written in stone, hence the quotations—map maker itself is just a feature of the game in which players can customize and add new designs—this is obvious. The naming is completely independent of the function and Steam’s method of catagorizing is limited to the site’s design itself. Why would they bother making two separate categories for content? I still personally believe that “add-on” would probably be the best term to catalogue custom maps, considering “modifying” entails changes to how the game looks aesthetically or functions as a whole.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:18:13 pm »
>>What?
Just messing around mostly. xD

>>"Add-on" was not meant to be written in stone
Not sure what you mean? Seems clearly defined and seperate from "mod". c:

>>Steam’s method of catagorizing is limited to the site’s design itself.
That's a fair point. c:

>>Why would they bother making two separate categories for content?
Hmm... why call it add-on when we can call it mod? Why have 2 seperate categories for it at all? xD

"modifying" entails changes to how the game looks aesthetically
Sooo... maps then? x'D

>>or functions as a whole.
Then.. what are add-ons? Lol, I'm dying omg. xD

**looks up modification** : the act or process of changing parts of something
Aha, I was wrong all along. By comparing the two definitions I'd say Maps/Presets are indeed add-ons. =P

Thanks Alpha. c:

Offline Windstrider

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Soon-to-be college student!
    • Windstrider2017
    • windstrider2017@gmail.com
    • Windstrider2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:44:30 pm »
Well I'm gonna try making a map, and maybe putting my presets in the new FH folder, and see how it goes. Thanks yall! Also, hi, Alpha! Long time no see! ^^ I'd kind of dropped off of FH for so long that I honestly thought everybody would've forgotten me by now, lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:46:27 pm by Windstrider »