Author Topic: Movie Spammers  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Gargantor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • WQ/FH/AK fan... RAWR
    • View Profile
Movie Spammers
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »
Two words:
Movie Spammers.

^This was taken not even 1 minute after joining the server.

Ever since General chat was removed from the public maps, Movie clips are the only ways of advertising roleplays. I have no problem with the normal people who post a clip, wait for a while, like five minutes or at least two minutes until they post the next...

BUT

I guess everyone has met the very determined and very persistent movie-maker crazed individuals who post the same movie six times after the other, no matter if their movie was flooded away or not. And not only one does this, but many more at the same time. You cant even RP without having to block movies, and cant chat without being interrupted by a huge block of these things from the same user when you are looking for roleplays so you dont want to block the clips...

And they even start a spamming war! Like, one of them starts spamming with three after the other, the other one will follow right after them... Some even -after making the clip- post twice or three times, just to be sure. Geez we saw that movie the first time too, thank you...

I guess we either need an advertising chat type, so in a way General brought back, but with a different name so it will be used for advertising -because really, the name 'general' wasnt helpful against spammers- or there should be some kind of limit put, so you could only be able to post a clip like... once every two or five mins....

So, what is your opinion on this matter? Are you guys finding them annoying as well, or you just block movies altogether? Do you have any advices how to solve this? Do you have screenshots of extreme movie spams? Share it with us!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:22:43 pm by Gargantor »

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Spammers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:39:46 pm »
I personally have learnt to tolerate the massive amount of movies churned out at a single time. Afterall, at the moment, there is no other way for people to send a message to all the people in the map.
What I don't understand is why people feel the need to post hundreds of movie clips one after the other. It doesn't help them in anyway. In fact, I think it annoys most people. It certainly doesn't make people want to watch the movie clip because they'd naturally assume that this person is a spammer given the fact that they just flooded the chat box with the same movie clip.
If it's possible to give people a limit as to how many movie clips a person can post within a certain time frame, that would probably help to reduce the spam. As for an 'advertising' chat...I've not heard about any plans regarding new chats or anything. But that chat, if it did exist, might not be used for the proper reason; if it's just like the old general chat then people will just do what they did in General as well as people advertising. Switching movies off is the best bet for people wanting to avoid the movie spam.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »
I would advise not talking about General. There was an official topic but I believe it's locked.

Yes, movie spammers bug me. They usually think they're going to get a bunch of members when they make a billion clips at once and shove them into the chat. They might as well loose their temper after posting a clip and none joining, so they take it up to the next level.

Seriously? We saw the clip when you first posted it, no need for a bundle of more.

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:44:38 pm »
Well there is a understanding in why there is so much movie spamming since General was gone. So its not that bad, but when the movie spam is used for the wrong reasons then that's when it gets annoying.
However any spamming of any sort is not good, but when it comes to a point where the movie spamming is getting out of hand, you can always screenshot it and send it to a staffer to see what they can do
But the screenshot you have isn't "that bad" of a movie spamming,
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »
Annoying that it may be, like stated before me, there isn't much one can do about the spam unless the movie is inappropriate or if the poster is going all out of hand. One must understand that the movies are the only way for one to advertise and I too have heard of no plans about a new Advertising chat or anything of the sort. However, if it's really bothersome, you could always whisper the individual and kindly ask them to stop. It might or might not work but it's worth a shot, ja?
Personally, I haven't witnessed much movie spam that's considered extreme. Then again, I rarely go into Fluorite. But this is just my opinion and advice on the matter and I give my apologies if I sound repetitive in advance.
gone

Offline Gargantor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • WQ/FH/AK fan... RAWR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:58:18 pm »
Like I said, it was not even a single minute into joining the server when I took that screenshot -was instantly popping up, so there may have been more before this-, of course there was more following later with the same amount at once. It looks like the people want to push each other's advertisements off of chat... like a war... or something.

I understand that the topic about general was locked, I wasnt even talking about bringing that back. Was only mentioning -since I am too late on that- that the name 'general' wasnt helping with the spam. Since 'general' means that it can be used for anything. However if a chat with a different name -like advertising- was to be introduced, it might work. Who knows. But if people dont like that, then okay.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:58 pm »
I think most of the spammers are either trolls or new people (hey, it took Me awhile to figure stuff out too!).
Also, I kind of like that idea Gargantor, It would seem like a good thing to use! you could block it if you were not looking for something, and turn it back ON, when you were looking for a particular Rp!

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:55 pm »
Most maps it doesn't happen at all, but it's always Fluorite. Usually (always, actually xD) I simply turn the movies off so I wouldn't have to deal with it, especially since I'm not looking for a group or roleplay to join. One time, there was so much movie spam (and I wasn't making any movies, obviously), I actually saw the red chat telling me to quit with the movies. I was like "... I'm not making ANY movies o.o". (But of course I didn't say anything since I didn't know who sent that to me.) It was really weird... and I guess the fact of using movies to advertize is getting taken way too far.
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
Hey!The Red Writing appeared to ME too yesterday! (I was sitting in what is now Crazy Land Stone Bridge ^_^)
Kinda Scary too you know O.O"?! (AND NO! I was not spamming! I logged on and got hit by a lag cannon. . .  No  I was not even making movies o.O)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:04:32 pm by Brenda Lee »

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:04:33 pm »
The red writing are mods. Theres no way to turn that off, so they were probably just telling someone/people off for spamming.

Siggy by Rustys!