Author Topic: A few ideas  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Chapawee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • View Profile
A few ideas
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »
I think it would be cool if there was a map contest similar to a preset contest. To add onto that, the top map makers/finalists would have another contest. The first place winner's map would be added as an official game map. This probably couldn't be done without the source code, though.

Because of the whole mass-markings issue, maybe there should be a marking sync or something similar so everyone can see markings. There would also be an item sync so everyone can see each other's items correctly and without glitches. Not everyone can download item and marking packs, and not everyone wants to. The item and marking packs are still cool and still a smart idea, but it gets annoying to have to download things constantly. It especially gets confusing and irritating when people need to get several item packs and they don't work properly (ex., a few items from one have the same name as the items in the other pack but are slightly different and replace/delete the other files or cause glitches).

Basically, a more unified FH would be nice. I don't think a map sync would work because 1) there's tons of maps, 2) more maps are constantly being created, 3) it would probably need the source code, and 4) it would be nearly impossible to find a particular map because of all the portals. Plus, they wouldn't even fit on Cape.

Even if that last idea might have some problems, opinions and feedback would be awesome!  ;)
Moving to my new account: Windstrider. Hopefully everybody can find it ok!

Offline mcgee2001

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Khalessi Of The Dothraki~
    • View Profile
    • Mcgee's Place
Re: A few ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »
Woah! Those are REALLY good ideas! :D :D

Signature by: Marija, thank you!! <3
Avatar by: Sameth, thank you!! <3
Find me in-game as: Mcgee

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
I agree with McGee, I thinm these are great ideas.
I especially like the map making contest idea.
Perhaps something for the staff to takr into consideration..
But we'll leave that up to them to decide. ;3
RETIRED.

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:50 pm »
A map making contest would be amazing! But as stated above you would need to take that over with the staff. But anyway, good ideas dear~

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »
We have indeed had map making contests in the past, and as I recall they were really a hit (though a LOT of work to make on the contestants' part, and those of the judges). I do like the idea, and honestly I don't see it being impossible that this contest would make a new appearance sometime in the future.

However, there probably won't be any map making contest winners having their maps put into the game (even if we were able to). Due to source code issues and the fact that map making for official game material is often much more than just the "Who can make the most sparkling/cool maps??" aspect, I feel like if we were to have the potential of a winning map being added into the game (if we could), there's a strong possibility that it would have to be altered in some ways to fit properly into the game. We also have to keep in mind the potential glitched areas, whether materials/objects are properly credited, and lag being a big issue (after all, a pretty map can be pretty, but we'd have to mind users who have slower computers). We wouldn't want official maps that are so heavy that some users cannot even enter the maps if we can help it.
And we wouldn't want to totally strip or alter a winning map in order to do it--that would in some ways be a bit of a pain to the map maker. We want their work to be appreciated, rather than saying "congrats!" and stripping it down.

So I don't think any map making contest winners would be able to see their maps as is in official maps, even if it were in our cards to do so.

As for marking/item/map etc. syncs that mirror the preset sync, on the surface the idea is really a nice one. Ideally FH would be unified in its content with only small changes, so we wouldn't have the issue of some users running around seeing wrong items, markings, or simply a blocky white character altogether.
Some downloadable mods would and should still exist to make FH customizable to each client, but the only reason the game is the way it is right now (with such huge mods available, but they rarely match up) is almost exclusively because of the fact that FH has been unable to be updated in over 2 years.
It is customizable, but without regulation we do get some of the confusion of marking/item/emote packs, etc., as we see today.

However, syncing them is a problem because of the finite nature of the items.

With presets, they come in no particular order, and are specific to each user's username. You can have 5 or 500 presets, but if you have them, they will be the same, and you will not likely run out of room for them to be there.

However, with markings, items, emotes, and maps, all of these have a limited amount of space to be utilized. They all have a markings.cfg (emotes.cfg or items.cfg) file that keeps a list of each marking or item, and so if everyone in the game had access to upload their own markings/items to the game, it means that we would constantly have an influx of these mods flowing into our games all the time.

For those who have used Mass Markings 3 and the Pawsome Item Pack, you know exactly how HUGE of a list of things are in there, and just these alone become downright impossible to accurately scroll through the list of materials to find what you're looking for.
Now, imagine if it were continually added onto?

It's inefficient in this respect, unfortunately, and there's no guarantee that the things upload for your use would be of high quality, either (as opposed to the preset sync, where if someone uploads any old preset, only the uploader is the one who wears it). There's also the possibility that after a while the number of markings/items/etc. would reach a limit and start repeating itself, leaving us with a mess of markings/etc., and more people trying to add on more that can't be added.

Just as well, a map sync would be HUGE, and within minutes I imagine we'd have maps stretching out beyond the reach of Cape's boundaries, rendering it impossible to reach these maps, even with wings.

So, while this one is a nice idea, and it's been suggested before, it's these vital flaws in the execution that keep them from happening.

Nice thinking either way, though, and thank you for the input. c:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:07:12 pm by WhiteLightHeart »
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Chapawee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:55:37 am »
Thanks for the opinions everybody! :)
Moving to my new account: Windstrider. Hopefully everybody can find it ok!