Author Topic: How To Roleplay - Guide  (Read 4795 times)

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • Did you take all your medication today?
    • View Profile
    • Information
How To Roleplay - Guide
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
How To Roleplay
Did you forget how to roleplay? Have you never been properly taught to roleplay? Do you want to improve your skills? This guide should help you with learning how to roleplay, and improving your skills on it. Now, let's start.

Formatting
There's multiple ways to format your roleplay posts. You can try the stanza method, paragraph/story method (third person or first person) or just the simple method. Here's what each looks like.
Stanza: *smiles* Thank you! *Leaves*
Paragraph/Story: Finni lightly smiled, eyes glittering with appreciation. "Thank you very much, I'll make sure to come back whenever I need help!" He said, bowing and turning around before he left. || I lightly smiled, eyes glittering with aprpeciate. "Thank you very much, I'll make sure to come back whenever I need help!" I said, bowing and turning around before I left.
Simple: Finni/I smiled. "Thank you!" He/I said before leaving.

The most proper way to roleplay is Paragraph form. If you're using one character, you use either first or third person. If you're using multiple, you can use both but in first you use "_____ P.O.V" to start off who is speaking/thinking/acting.

Weaving Emotions
When roleplaying, it's important to use emotions. If you make your character feel a certain way, such as sad or angry or happy, it's better. Especially when you make your roleplay partner feel the same way as you or your character. Emotions are very important to your roleplay, because it can define character.
Here's an example.
Sad: Finni frowned, head lowering within shame. "I... I'm sorry, mother and father. I've disappointed you both, forgive me." Finni said to thin air. As a child, his mother died and his father had left him. He had nobody anymore, and never will. Tears rolled down Finni's small and childish cheeks, his mouth parting and sad sounds escaping Finni's lips.
Did you feel sad as you read this? Well, if you have, then it could be considered that I did a good job. Emotions depend on the scenario going on, so using something sad in a happy scenario shouldn't be going on at that moment.

OOC
When in roleplay, you should make it clear when in character and when not. For example.
Confusion: Hey, can you help me? Finni smiled, nodding. "I love that idea!"
No confusion:  (Hey, can you help me?) Finny smiled, nodding. "I love that idea!"

Characters - Behaviors
Your characters behavior defines it. It's nice to keep them in character. If your character has sleeping issues such as Insomnia, then make it that during roleplay it's hard for them to sleep or to fall asleep. If they have anger issues, then it's okay to make them have bursts of anger (just don't take it to far!).

Characters
If your character looks weird or maybe like a marysue, it's okay to change them. If you update it, then it may mean more people will be nicer to you and roleplay with you. Nobody likes a Marysue, anyways.

FAQ
What does everyone ignore my character when I am in a group?
Well, there's a possibility that people can't see your posts or you need to update your character. Trying looking at guides that'll help you improve your character if neeeded to.

What if I want to ship my character with someone but it's OOC?
(OOC = Out Of Character)
Go ahead. It's okay to let your character be out of character a bit, just not too much.

It takes too long to get an RP started. By the time we do, I have to go.
Try making one that'll appeal to people. For example,  use a popular fandom such as: Five Night's At Freddy's, Anime, Homestuck, etc.

I'm being asked to use a roleplay sample. What is a roleplay sample?
Roleplay samples are basically roleplay posts, but not official. They show people how well you roleplay and how literate you can be.

If I missed something, please don't be afraid to tell me!

Offline BigTree17

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How To Roleplay - Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:01:31 am »
thanks for posting this! its very helpful for me.
were all conected to each others-
im a percy jackson and harry potter fan-
cookies and pizza-
Find me in-game as BugTree17

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
    • Information
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:28:05 pm »
You're welcome. <3

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:24:50 am »
Thank you for this, bb.
I'm sure a lot of people like wofie will find this very helpful in the future!

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
    • Information
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »
Thank you. <3