Author Topic: Origins of Derp.  (Read 1343 times)

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
Origins of Derp.
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »
Ya know.. I've been wondering where the word "Derp" came from... I hear it all the time, and I also say it a lot... but... where did it come from? o3o
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline Tanglemask

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 64
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
    • Tangled in Bowties
Re: Origins of Derp.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »
Uhm, from what I remember, something involving South Park brought it to light. A guy kept hitting his head and saying 'derp' while doing it. I think.

But Derp is like a, well it has several meanings from what I gather, and it's like...
Someone can be a derp - meaning they're weird, out of the  ball park kinda way, funny and just plain random.
It also describes an action I suppose. Like a 'post-retardedness comment' when someone done something stupid and easy to figure out. As in asking a question that's easy to answer.
It can also describe a face

And that's all  I remember. But from what SP did, I'm pretty sure it's the 2nd definition. So yeah. Hope that sheds some light.

"I can't tell you the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone" - Ed Sheeran

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:09 pm »
It was that episode where some guy served as some sort of head chef or something and then whacked his head repeatedly stating the term. I don't watch the show so I'm clueless on what episode that was. That show is so...IDK...I can't even word it.

In general the term today is used for silliness, but in the beginning it was more related to be a crack at mentally challenged individuals.

Or was that hurr durr....know what, I don't know anymore. xD

Offline Ratatosk

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • For Raksha, down with Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:14:39 pm »
Derp. It can mean a lot of things. I, personally, like to use that term when talking to Lloyd or Luke... XD