Author Topic: "Wolfspeak" equals good post?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
"Wolfspeak" equals good post?
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »
For past few weeks, I've been thinking about what makes an "good" post, mostly in literate ones. Most people deem using "wolfspeak," means you are a good role-player or writer. In addition, to have understood that half of the terms used are either non-existent or have a completely different meaning altogether. To me, now, they seem like designated terms to use to appear smart or simply a language people are most familiar with. I would like to steer away from this type of "speaking" and concentrate more on the creative aspect to role-play. I've been exploring more of the English language, as well as foreign ones for my occasional dialogue in tongue. It's not about the "fancy, scientific" terms that make you "literate" or flash yourself as a smart person, it about being creative with words, using them to set an original story to be read . As one writer to another, I also want to encourage that others explore their own language, use words that modern people have forgotten or don't know that exist. The complacency afterwards in doing so is worth it.    
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Re: "Wolfspeak" equals good post?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »
Beautifully said though there are some key points I must disagree on, considering that I'm a wolfspeaker myself. Though, I'll be sure to discuss the matter with you via Skype seeing as how I've managed to stay up all night with no sleep. Hurr... curse you fatigue.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:30:08 pm by Starrk »
gone

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »
Well, agree, disagree, neutral, just all a matter of opinion. I never aim to offend, however, if I have, I give sincere apologizes. Anyway, feel free to explain any points I may have misinterpreted.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Toxic Reverie

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:58:12 am »
Personally, I don't think using Wolfspeak automatically makes somebody literate. Though some terms that Wolfspeakers use do confuse me, I don't have a problem with those who use it unless they act like they're better than literate roleplayers who don't use Wolfspeak.
I no longer log on to this account on the forums.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:10 am »
I honestly find wolfspeaker's posts to be rather difficult to read.
I prefer to sit 'n read those who do not overuse this way to role play.
There are a lot of times where I actually have to bring up the browser and google a bunch of words within one post,
not because I usually have to, because of the language difference,
but because the post simply makes so little sense that I can't figure it out unless I have it translated.
I'm not the best role player myself, and my vocabulary is rather limited
(it's a lot better now than when I first started playing FeralHeart), yet I've had people telling me how they love reading my posts.
I barely ever use words from wolf speak, if I do, it'd be 'cranium' and perhaps one or two more.
I have used 'banner' for example, but it's nothing I use nowadays.

I do not believe that wolf speak equals super literate.
Nor do I believe that the faster you type and post, the more literate you are.

I don't think I should have to sit with a dictionary, to be able to code peoples posts.
That's not literate to me.
People should be able to understand a literate persons post,
without having to learn a 'language' or new terms which might not even be accurate.
RETIRED.

Offline Blueyi

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • omf Len Kagamine x Miku Hatsune is my OTP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:23:10 am »
I don't exactly 'hate' them, for I use auds, orbs, and banner. But I really dislike the unreadable words they use. I'm not a wolfspeaker, so I don't understand half of what they say. So then I just ignore it. I think people just think it's 'cool' or makes you seem 'smart' in some ways.
Or they just think that everyone knows it, so they should do it too.

But honestly, I dislike the wolfspeaking and don't encourage it. Like 'fae' isn't what you actually think it is.
'Pillar' is not what you think it is, either.
To say, Wolfspeak = Unreadable post.

I ship the VOCALOIDs Miku Hatsune and Len Kagamine together. Problem?

Offline Kittycatty

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Partially Gone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »
At first, I didn't even know what wolfspeak was until I looked it up in the urban dictionary. I don't think using terms from wolfspeak from time to time are technhically wrong, but using them excessively just makes you sound like a  person who can't speak English XD I do use words like "optics" and I used to use "banner" for tail but only because I heard other people using it.

No longer active on the forums, though I do check back once in a while.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »
Here's a handly link; a guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it. :P

Wolfspeak certainly doesn't make a good post; it's often done with the intention to impress others with the blatant misuse of anatomical terms. It doesn't add to the roleplay; it detracts. I don't need to know the scientific name of every muscle involved in sitting down-- I already have that knowledge from my BScHons degree. I'm here for storytelling and character development; I don't want to read a post that's essentially a regurgitated thesaurus. It really, really confuses people with crazy synonyms that aren't even appropriate to the situation, such as banner, optics, auds and luminaries. Coupled with completely incorrect anatomical terms (labrums, labrium/labia etc. for mouth), I'm surprised people can even understand it. As someone with a very in-depth knowledge of biology (and a paramedic best friend, to boot), I've never, ever seen any Wolfspeakers label anything correctly. Detail is great, don't get me wrong, but you'll never see this in published literature:

"Harry Potter's obsidian orbs narrowed to exiguous apertures, his abstemious phalanges entwined around his ligneous wand."

I just absolutely abhor it to the point I'll even block people for (extreme) Wolfspeaking-- even if they're not currently roleplaying with me. They're allowed to roleplay however they want-- I honestly don't mind! I'd rather avoid them; I just don't understand what they're writing and would rather not rain on their parade with my confusion. If they enjoy it, great! Many apologies for being so biased against it-- I've been roleplaying for ten years and I really, really feel it's detrimental- especially since it encourages the incorrect use of words. :(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:40:03 pm by Nemena »

Offline Dangeryena

• Hyena Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:27 pm »
Here's a handly link; a guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it.

Wolfspeak certainly doesn't make a good post; it's often done with the intention to impress others with the blatant misuse of anatomical terms. It doesn't add to the roleplay; it detracts. I don't need to know the scientific name of every muscle involved in sitting down-- I already have that knowledge from my BScHons degree. I'm here for story telling and character development; I don't want to read a post that's essentially a regurgitated thesaurus. It really, really confuses people with synonyms that aren't even appropriate to the situation, such as banner, optics, auds and luminaries. Coupled with completely incorrect anatomical terms (labrums, labrium/labia etc. for mouth), I'm surprised people can even understand it. As someone with a very in-depth knowledge of biology (and a paramedic best friend, to boot), I've never, ever seen any Wolfspeakers label anything correctly. Detail is great, don't get me wrong, but you'll never see this in published literature:

"Harry Potter's obsidian orbs narrowed to exiguous apertures, his abstemious phalanges entwined around his ligneous wand."

I just absolutely abhor it to the point I'll even block people for (extreme) Wolfspeaking-- even if they're not currently roleplaying with me. They're allowed to roleplay however they want-- I honestly don't mind! I'd rather avoid them; I just don't understand what they're writing and would rather not rain on their parade..
I really want to give you the most awkward of hugs right now.

Wolfspeak is unnecessary on so many levels. It does irritate me, but I wouldn't hate someone over it. I don't mine "orbs" or even "cranium" too much, although I rarely ever use those words unless it's appropriate like when I'm roleplaying as Claude Faustus in his demon form where his eyes are literally like little beady spider eyes. ???

But I was once in a roleplay where the only two people online both used wolfspeak in every sentence they could squeeze it into and I seriously could not take it. I made an excuse to leave and I haven't gone back ever since, actually. You don't need big words to be a good writer, and you especially don't need them for roleplay because it should be for fun, not so you can try your very hardest to look professional or even descriptive, because wolfspeak actually makes it harder to picture what you're trying to describe.
NazoXSparx/C R O C U T A in-game

Offline Dangeryena

• Hyena Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:40 am »
I personally class wolfspeek as illiterate.

A sentence like: The crimson pelted Fay raised her cranium liberally and pendulumed her whip

To me is just like: Te wulf made a gr.

Plus two of my friends both use it hugely. When i roleplay with one, i have to FaceBook message her what everyone's posts mean. O.o

also 'little beady spider eyes' is not wolf speak. It is a simile XD 
I was referring to that because it's the only time I call eyes "orbs". His eyes are literally black orbs.
NazoXSparx/C R O C U T A in-game