Author Topic: An Honest Rant  (Read 14560 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: An Honest Rant
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:45 pm »
I think as long as the solution works for the problem and is the easiest solution, then it's completely fine!

What Twisted is referring to I believe is more towards people who just say the exact same solution for every thread, even if it doesn't work or the OP has specifically stated it hasn't. Or people who tend to give incorrect answers when they know nothing about the topic at hand---a wrong answer is completely fine every once in awhile, but if someone really doesn't know a lot about a topic in the slightest I feel like it'd be best to leave it to the members who do.

I don't go in the help boards much nowadays so I'm honestly not sure if it still happens, but it has definitely happened in the past. But basically, yeah, if you have the right answer and you know it can help and there's nothing much easier to do, then it's fine to say the same answer!

Yes, this, I second. I think ye worded it a bit better than I did actually.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

I Ship It!

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 08:37:59 pm »
Honestly-
I think you speak a degree of truth Twist. I've seen people in the community put on a mask only to get what they want. I'll admit I've even done it myself long before I figured out it was awful. I think sometimes when we earn attenion, the best of us becomes the worst of us. :-\

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 09:08:27 pm »
I don't see the point in it all honestly. Why can't everyone here just love one another and all be equally as helpful and loving without an undercurrent of lies and just wanting to be "the special one"
This is exactly how I feel, people should be good to the community just to be good to the community with no other intentions. After all, helping others is a true reward in itself.

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »
I don't see the point in it all honestly. Why can't everyone here just love one another and all be equally as helpful and loving without an undercurrent of lies and just wanting to be "the special one"
This is exactly how I feel, people should be good to the community just to be good to the community with no other intentions. After all, helping others is a true reward in itself.

I second this very much so.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:55 am »
Was wondering if anyone was going to say anything.

Funnily enough, a lot of people posting here are rather late to the game, or forum, rather.

The whole pretending to care, being praised, getting all "popular" via being everyone's "friend," has been around since anyone can remember. I think a big reason behind it is that, at least at first, everyone thought they wanted to be a staff member. They wanted power, control, recognition, just, everything that seems desirable about that position, without thinking about what else it entails. Everyone wanted the glory. And it had been said multiple times that staff are chosen based on who's active, helpful, friendly, the like.

So, naturally, you see everyone rushing to the Help sections, trying to do their best to post on every thread. Every single one.
And you start to see it real bad when someone has a problem, and then a solution is offered. What's a user who's trying to impress going to do when their solution has already been offered???
Just repeat it!

It's something you see constantly, and as far back as 2011 (when those threads actually existed still).
And of course the original poster never wants to be rude (usually), so both parties get credit. Even if the second person didn't even know the solution the first person provided, they can pretend.

There's just so many unnecessary and repetitive posts, and not even limited to the Help section, just so everyone can be heard and be out there and be cool.
Which... to a degree is fine, and is expected. It's a social place.

Part of me does believe that it does, at least partially, stem from a lot of the userbase being young, so there's not much sense of "maybe not everything is about me, and I shouldn't be rude and try to take credit for something I didn't actually know anything about."

Because if we're all honest, like, really honest?:
How many of us have actually done the research, the work, the digging, to find the roots of common problems, and then their solutions?
Answer? Not much.
Once the solution is common, everyone just repeats it, and thus the "credit" is absorbed by whoever conveys it the most now.
It doesn't even matter that they didn't technically solve the problem, as long as it looks like they did.

It's extremely frustrating to go to all sorts of lengths to help someone, just to have your post reworded by someone else, who you know had no part in actually figuring any of it out.

It's almost like a passive-aggressive slap to the face, yet somehow from a distance.

I think everyone just needs a new perspective. It's a feline/canine glorified 3D chat room. Honestly, no more or less. Whether or not you help people should be based upon if it's worth it to you.
Is it bettering you as a person, do you enjoy it, etc etc.
Not: will this make me popular, will I be selected for something special, etc etc.

But, alas, everyone is out for themselves. That's how I've come to understand it over the past 5 years of FeralHeart.
Users are quite literally that.
Oh, did you spend all that time doing that? Well, it takes me 5 minutes to pretend I did it.
Oh, you're skilled at something? Can we be "friends" so I can get it for free? Or so you can teach me?

This community has always been want, take, have.
And again, that's just a rather young mentality that is probably just the result of a young userbase.

But that doesn't mean it cannot change.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world," and all that.
Don't be mean, don't be dumb, etc etc.
I'll stop re-ranting your rant.

Stay kind, kids.

I Ship It!

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:30 am »

Funnily enough, a lot of people posting here are rather late to the game, or forum, rather.

The whole pretending to care, being praised, getting all "popular" via being everyone's "friend," has been around since anyone can remember. I think a big reason behind it is that, at least at first, everyone thought they wanted to be a staff member. They wanted power, control, recognition, just, everything that seems desirable about that position, without thinking about what else it entails. Everyone wanted the glory. And it had been said multiple times that staff are chosen based on who's active, helpful, friendly, the like.

So, naturally, you see everyone rushing to the Help sections, trying to do their best to post on every thread. Every single one.
And you start to see it real bad when someone has a problem, and then a solution is offered. What's a user who's trying to impress going to do when their solution has already been offered???
Just repeat it!

It's something you see constantly, and as far back as 2011 (when those threads actually existed still).
And of course the original poster never wants to be rude (usually), so both parties get credit. Even if the second person didn't even know the solution the first person provided, they can pretend.

There's just so many unnecessary and repetitive posts, and not even limited to the Help section, just so everyone can be heard and be out there and be cool.

Part of me does believe that it does, at least partially, stem from a lot of the userbase being young, so there's not much sense of "maybe not everything is about me, and I shouldn't be rude and try to take credit for something I didn't actually know anything about."

How many of us have actually done the research, the work, the digging, to find the roots of common problems, and then their solutions?
Answer? Not much.
Once the solution is common, everyone just repeats it, and thus the "credit" is absorbed by whoever conveys it the most now.
It doesn't even matter that they didn't technically solve the problem, as long as it looks like they did.

It's extremely frustrating to go to all sorts of lengths to help someone, just to have your post reworded by someone else, who you know had no part in actually figuring any of it out.

It's almost like a passive-aggressive slap to the face, yet somehow from a distance.

I think everyone just needs a new perspective. It's a feline/canine glorified 3D chat room. Honestly, no more or less. Whether or not you help people should be based upon if it's worth it to you.
Not: will this make me popular, will I be selected for something special, etc etc.

But, alas, everyone is out for themselves. That's how I've come to understand it over the past 5 years of FeralHeart.
Oh, did you spend all that time doing that? Well, it takes me 5 minutes to pretend I did it.
Oh, you're skilled at something? Can we be "friends" so I can get it for free? Or so you can teach me?

And again, that's just a rather young mentality that is probably just the result of a young userbase.

Stay kind, kids.

Touche~ I agree with everything you said there Ruby.

Offline TheOneAndOnlyy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Winter has Come
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 05:38:53 am »
To be completely honest, I agree with a lot of your points. It's not just FH or the internet that is like this however, it really is just the majority of the world. I for one am a genuinely nice person, and don't take that as a sign of overconfidence or pride cause it's not xD But there has been many times where I sometimes feel overshadowed because of how cautious I am. I'm a shy person however I do try to be apart of the community as best I can. When I say nice things to people I mean them. When I try to help someone out I truly want to help them if I can. From my experience there is not very many people out there that show off to the world the person they actually are, There was one time a while back when I was recruiting for a roleplay someone who was sending me a roleplay sample said they thought I was flirting with them. SERIOUSLY, just because I was complimenting them on their roleplaying skills and their character. I thought to myself "Has this person ever come across a genuinely nice person before, or do they think I'm just saying these things to say them?" Of course when I get to know someone to the point I consider them a friend I open up a whole lot, but that does not stop my good personality. Idk, I guess I was just raised that way. But then there are those people who are just nice so they look good, and to people like me that's a huge slap to the face because we then become lost in the crowd. FH however hasn't been this way for me as much as the real world has, and that can become a rant on it's own xD but such fake kindness is always going to be there in the world, it always has.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:55:46 am by TheOneAndOnlyy »

Offline Rostova

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
    • BurrBoi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 09:35:09 am »
This had gotten me fired up a little before.

And it really bothers me when I see other people get passed over and ignored when they have tried their level best to help this community out and they just end up feeling that they aren't appreciated at all. 

I have always felt like i have gotten overshadowed for trying my best in this community. I feel like im not appreciated here, so i know first hand how others feel.
 Its really not fair to all those kind people out there. When they try their best every time they post, and their kind not just because of a "reputation", that should be appreciated. But reputations rule sometimes.

And about the helping thing.
 Some people have been through it before and post what THEY know because they think it can help, and i dont consider that spitting out answers. But of course, there are the people that spit out random answers that have nothing to do with the topic, and i understand that. They should put some more thought into their solution before they post sometimes.

Just repeat it!

Answer? Not much.

Stay kind, kids.
I totally agree^

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:39:44 am by Wolfgirl1504 »

Lights and streetlamps flicker in the snow

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »

Just repeat it!

Answer? Not much.

Stay kind, kids.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 07:36:36 pm »
I absolutely agree, 100%.

Power is tempting...always has been, always will be. I agree with Ruby - people want to become a moderator, they want the glory...but that's not what it's about, is it? Shouldn't we just try to make a good, friendly community where everyone can be happy? Where everyone can have a safe place?

And then again, it's not as easy as it looks to be a moderator. They don't get paid and yet they spend hours every day doing all they can to help FH. Some people just want it for the fame.

But there are also the people who are scared. Scared because people in the real world don't like them, so they try to make themselves someone different so that people they don't actually know will. Which is understandable, because the world is...people are mean. People are so, so mean.

I think everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, and calm down. Help others out to be of assistance or to do something nice, not because you want to be well known. Be kind in general. Make the community a better place for the right reasons. This is just my opinion on the matter, and by all means I'm not saying that I'm not guilty of any of it.

I apologize if any of this was worded wrong or the like, I have a hard time expressing myself sometimes.

signature by g0thic_vibes1