Author Topic: Realistic or not?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline zady

• I BLAME RAZ!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • DJ Rin
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Realistic or not?
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:12:33 am »
In terms of a character

what do you prefer?
a neutral toned realistic looking character,
or a wild colourful and unrealistic looking character??

MESH edition
Preset & marking edition

Feel free to pm me for help!

Offline WoodDog

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:51 am »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:51:16 pm by garisa »

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:47:33 am »
I'm kind of in the middle, if you could say that.

Most of the time, I like making a character with soft, natural colours and just a pinch of unrealistic in them, such as unnatural markings or a colourful tailtip and a matching mane.

Despite that, I would never use neon colours. Not that I have anything against people who do. It's a game of creativity, afterall.

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »
I'm fine with any colouration as long as it's tasteful. A person with a character that is all mashed together neon colours with no cohesive planning going into them anywhere bothers me. But as has been said here before me (More or less) as long as it's not to much of a eyesore I'm fine with it.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:44 am »
I have something called, "Excusable Unrealistism".

For example, I'm not a big fan of wolves that are blue with wings. The species canis lupis has a definition of what the species looks like, and a blue wolf with wings does not fit it at all.
However if said wolf is in fact a totally different original species of wolf, then I am fine with it. Or if that wolf was tested on, had a magic spell cast upon it, etc.

There needs to be a reason behind the unrealistim. An excuse. A wolf randomly being born with wings and blue fur isn't gonna work for me.

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:49:16 am »
I'm fine with anything really, since everyone is entitled to their own opinions and creativity. I generally lean towards more realistic colors on my own characters however, and I don't get bored with the limited realistic shades really, since I like to see what I can make with them that is both elegant and flows well.  The only thing I hate it bright orange foxes... I mean really? Bright, neon orange foxes, and you're calling yourself realistic? Naw... Just kidding x3 I don't hate them, just dislike them, and there's a few other realistic species I often see misinterpreted. Anyhoo, down to the point; Realistic, yes. Neon, no.

Offline itsukoii

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • "I'll show you a sight you've never seen before."
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:46:16 am »
I'm really in the middle, myself. I have a dark gray character with black markings, so I wouldn't call it 'realistic' or 'unrealistic'. I don't often care what people do to their characters, it doesn't bug me. Hey, if we have this freedom with character creating, why not use it?

This is just my opinion, haha. I believe that people should be allowed to make their characters how they want. Even though I don't adore the neons, I don't hate on them. I like my dark-pelted characters, and yes, sometimes they may have brighter markings, however not normally. This is just what I think! C:

Offline KizzaBabay

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Shoot-For-The-Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:35 am »
I love using realistic and non realistic characters. Mostly I use unrealistic characters, though I do not use wild / crazy colours on the wolves and lions I make.
KizzaBabay <3

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:05:03 am »
Generally I prefer realistic. I'm one of the realism buffs >.< But I also like charries that sort of in between; they look realistic but also have features that are individual to them. Some unrealistic characters I think are okay, if they're well thought out and don't just look like a crazy colourful mess.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Loopyloola

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
I prefer natural colors with markings that are a nice calm unnatural color that goes well with the base color
I don't like neon and totally unnatural characters and realistic characters can some times be bland so I like a nice mix between them