Author Topic: Remove the Width/Height/Length consrtaints.  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
Remove the Width/Height/Length consrtaints.
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:56:40 am »
I quickly browsed through the topic names to see if this has been suggested, although I didn't check generic thread titles such as "Lots of ideas" or just "Ideas," so if this has been suggested before, I apologize.

Has anyone who has fiddled around with the Character Edit screen noticed the proportion constrictions that are set on the Width, Height, and Length attributes? To elaborate; when you move one slider, say the "Width" slider, the other two sliders automatically move to stick to a certain pre-set proportion system. These constraints are extremely irritating. It makes it more difficult to create more diverse species/breeds with these constrictions.

For example, if I have a character of a certain obscure canine breed, for example the Tosa Inu (which I have to use the feline model for, ironically) and set its length to the perfect length for its' breed, I might find that the width is too skinny. if I move the width slider it ruins my perfect length. Same with the height attribute. I can not get the perfect width, length, and height combination no matter how hard I try or how long I fiddle with the sliders.

I say these proportion constraints should be removed, for the sake of more diverse species/breed creation.

Also, the canines could use an extra body mesh to choose from, or extra settings so that more diverse canine breeds can be made. It's entirely too wolfish/skinny/lean to create breeds such as Tosas, Mastiffs, Pugs, and the more stockier/less lean canine breeds. I'm also in favor of fuller manes for canines, because there are some breeds that would benefit from the look of a thick mane, such as Fu dogs. Thicker/wider/taller/bigger muzzle, neck, and head settings would be beneficial too. Having separate settings for wider/thinner heads, necks, and muzzles would greatly improve customization and breed diversity.

I also am in favor of shorter/skinnier tails for both canines and felines, and curlier tails for such canine breeds as the Akita or Shiba Inu.

Hope this doesn't sound bossy or rude xD I tend to be rather blunt, lol. I love the work that has gone into FH so far, don't get me wrong. It's just that it could use a few improvements to better accommodate more diverse breeds. Also, a setting should be implemented to adjust the arch of a character's back; this would be helpful for hyenas and certain feline species.

(Credit to the arched back setting idea goes to Slycan; I can't remember which forum I read it on but Sly made a great comparison of back/neck arching differences between canines, felines, and hyaenidae).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:00:19 am by Narifia »

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'

Themiles

Re: Remove the Width/Height/Length consrtaints.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:13 am »
I would like the addition of making the muzzle, head and tail bigger and smaller, as well as a way to stretch and shorten legs. (Hyeanas for example even have different lengths of legs. Hell, even my main char should have longer hindlegs~) And a friend of mine said, that adding some pudginess to the character would be cool too, since she isn't happy with the weight tool.

About the constraints.. I believe hearing in a Livestream, that they did that to avoid the models looking to wierd or not working. because otherwise there could be line-lions running around.

I think that we can't avoid certain limits there, but maybe we could loosen them a bit perhaps. I noticed when I made the species thread, that the customisation for the canines is rather limited. It was hard to come up with species for them.

But also, Feral heart just started, perhaps we will still get more customisation in the future~

TealSkeletore

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:48:22 am »
Yes I agree that the constraints should be changed, but not removed. Otherwise people would make things way too wacky and the game would look.. well cheap.

And yeah, there should be more choices in face styles too... my lynx character doesn't even look like a lynx, just a tiny lion with a short muzzle.

Offline kaya

• Bite me and I'll kick yew arse C: ~ Rak$ha
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:46:21 pm »
In my honest opinion, yes it does annoy me quite a bit. But I disagree that it should be removed. I think a little working on it could fix it easily, but if you remove it, people would make things way too wacky and yes the game would look cheap, like Teal said.

And yeah, FH just started, we will surely get some customisations in the future. c:

Offline GemWolf

• Avani's Ninja Agent
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • play rain world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
I agree. This irritates me constantly. I don't think it should be removed, just tweaked with a bit. So we can customize all 3 separately, and when we move on the others don't follow. And as Kaya said, this is FH's first release. Maybe Kov will change this in future updates. :3

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »
I remember you from IT, and I've always loved reading your posts because you're so detailed and.. to the point!

Anyway, I agree with you 100% on this. I can't get the perfect length, width or height either. I was fiddling around, trying to make a skinny-ish character, but very tall one, and I couldn't do it because as you said ,the other sliders move as well.

I was trying to make a pitbull with the wolf, well, I can't do that either.. haven't tried fiddling around with the feline mesh, but i can probably come way closer to looking like one then the canine mesh. The face is too.. pointy.. pitbulls have rounded faces, like most of the dogs in the pictures you provided.

Ah.. anyway..
yup, i agree with you

~Aroxy

Offline WolfKat777

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Fantasy is an escape to the creative mind~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
I'd have to agree with this. =o
I'm especially picky about the length following the width and height....why? for some reason, I just don't like my character looking so...stretched out, or long...XD
but I like my character to look wide, 'cause it suits how I have wide-ish shoulders in real life... c:

but yeah, I agree with all of you ^w^

My new dragon! :3

Offline Tawny

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »
This is a very good idea, it's the same with a cheetah character of mine. Because they have pretty long legs I could only emulate this by cranking the weight down and the height up, but the width moved with it.

I've heard of possibilities of different ears and tails that may be added to the game, so I'm sure many other options to further customization will be added eventually as well. :3

Nekonotaishou

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:50 am »
I like where this seems to be going :)

Maybe not remove the constraints, just widen them, so that you can get the model to be wider/taller/longer before the other sliders are affected?

I also would like to see a tail length and or/ leg length slider. I think it would open up many a character possibility C:

nexus196

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »
agreed, i'd so love to make my wolf a little fatter then ussuall ^^