Author Topic: Filters, because there's too much -Removed by moderator- .  (Read 4811 times)

Sushi

Filters, because there's too much -Removed by moderator- .
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:45 am »
I've been back for about 2 or 3 days to this game. I love it, a lot, but I find there is a MASSIVE flaw that could potentially be dangerous.

This game needs filters. 

Annoying or not, filters are very safe and important for a game aimed at a younger userbase. I have yet to see anyone hanging around moderating the main maps except for mini-mods, who mostly just create a nuisance because they aren't respected. Many games will always have mods on the game, mods of peoples' own private maps will assist and volunteer guardians of the game are always available to ask questions and help. On top of that, in areas where children are allowed, filters will be put in. You CANNOT trust users to respect the rules without some form of forced act. It just is what it is. Users are not always going to be respectful. Most of them won't even read the rules and won't know they can't swear. And because there are no filters, they'll swear to their heart's content...which is precisely what people do.

There is a whole list of inappropriate words I have seen used all day in the game, and the most frightening and dangerous one is "-Removed by moderator-." This is a liability, and also the most popular of all the words used. It's acted out in every main map, especially Bonfire Island. People are -Removed by moderator- each other. I can only imagine my child playing a fun game with kitties and puppies....and some user is -Removed by moderator- my child. No way. That's a nasty phone call and potential lawyers. I warn this because I have seen it, I have witnessed it happen multiple times and it's not fair to such a nice site to be subjected to such a dire problem. I have seen games and websites get shut down because of -Removed by moderator-. -Removed by moderator- is a crime.

Anyone can say swear words on this site. It shouldn't be too difficult to process some programming to filter out words such as "-Removed by moderator-" and "-Removed by moderator-," along with the nastier of the latter of swears. You can fix the filters to be optional in private maps, maps that SHOULD have to have a rating of teen+ with a warning of volatile content and sexual maturity before they enter the map.

Again, if there are no staff around to cut out these actions and there are no filters, you cannot expect people to respect rules that are 50% left unread. This is just the world we live in, and for the safety of the site as well as our young players, I sincerely believe filters are appropriate, not just for courtesy reasons, but legal ones as well.

And frankly, people who are annoyed with filters should take a look at their behavior, in my opinion, in a public game meant to entertain ALL ages. :)

Thank you. :) Hope I'm understood!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:43:06 am by Warriorstrike »

Offline ShadowWolf24

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Chocolate please, Nya. :3
    • View Profile
Re: Filters, because there's too much rape.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:32:40 am »
I agree with you on this. I have always thought FH really needed filters for this kind of stuff. I have always thought of this game to be 13+, but even still a few younger children play this. If I was a parent and I heard my younger child talking about such things I would be quite upset. So yes Filters would be a nice thing to have in game.

Yes. I do love Yaoi.
In Game As~ ShadowWolf24

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:05:22 am »
I can see your concern but as you just mentioned that there should be censors in the game it definately defeats the purpose if you're just going to come over here on to the forum and clearly state the curse words. You do know it's against the rules to swear both in game and on the forum yes? Even if it's to state a point.

I have yet to see anyone hanging around moderating the main maps except for mini-mods, who mostly just create a nuisance because they aren't respected.
Again, if there are no staff around to cut out these actions and there are no filters, you cannot expect people to respect rules that are 50% left unread.

Just because you have not seen the mods and staff does not mean that they are not around. The mods are actually very active in the game. I see one at least every day when I log in. You can not expect the mods to be every where in the game unforunately because there are only so many mods that can keep watch over soo many large maps with soo many individuals in those large maps at a time.

Your best bet when the mods are not online or around in a specific area at a specific time when someone is breaking rules is to get screenshots and report people. In my opinion filtering is unnecessary especially since I have been around in enough games to know that the filtering after a while can get exaggerated to the point that normal dialogue is no longer possible because of the limitations example: WolfQuest. Not to mention no matter what kind of chat filtering/censor you put on the rule breaking individuals will always find some way around it and start combining symbols and so forth to still create the curse words and bad words. People just need to learn to follow rules like everyone else with no exception and if they can't do that especially after several warnings and bans then it's their fault if they lose their privilege of being a part of the community and game... it's as simple as that. While filtering does have its plus sides, honestly I just find it ridiculous when a game maker has to take the responsibility to add language censor features and so forth to a game because a few users can't exercise self control or follow a few little simple rules.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:38:28 am by LordSuragaha »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:17:40 am »
There's quite a few reasons why there isn't a filter and I got the feeling it will stay this way and sometimes I wonder if users think mods run around big stallions with swords raised high up with shiny armor. There's mods in the game, believe me..

If only I could find one of those other threads regarding filters for the game where the long comments explaining the situation. mhhhhh.. Forum like to nommies.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:06:59 am »
A couple of things.

First, I would argue that, while younger children do come into the game sometimes, it's been said multiple times that it's geared toward 13 and up, so it's not exactly the 'little children playing with kitties and puppies' situation you've described. If someone's going to be terribly scarred by some foul language and inappropriate behaviour, they probably shouldn't be in an online chat/MMO type situation in the first place. I don't mean that in a callous way. They really, really shouldn't.

Secondly, I know it's been said already, but it drives me up the wall when people hate on the mods for being inactive. The mods are *very* active in game and on the forums; I almost always see at least one online. Just because red text isn't shooting constantly across the chat like flaming beacons of justice doesn't mean they aren't doing anything.

Aaand lastly the chat filter itself. In a perfect word, where all the trolls and rule-breakers were extremely uncreative and unmotivated, it would be a pretty good idea, aside from giving the overall impression that the rules don't matter that much. Unfortunately we do not live in such a world. People WILL find ways around the filters, and stopping them completely would require such an extensive filter that it would disrupt even clean, perfectly rule-sanctioned conversation and RP. Doing this just for the very small percentage of people who would actually be damaged by the swearing would be like covering an entire racetrack waist-deep in packing peanuts to protect the one guy who can't tie his shoelaces from falling.

Sushi

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:58 am »
I still find filters to be QUITE successful and useful. Example: Furcadia.

Your best bet when the mods are not online or around in a specific area at a specific time when someone is breaking rules is to get screenshots and report people.

I expected this to come up, and honestly it comes down to how I just can't (and really won't spend the time) screenshotting the INSANELY massive amount of rule-breakers. Seriously. I'd be making screenshots constantly, I wouldn't be able to play the game.

People don't think to break filters immediately for two reasons. One, they realize something they've done is against the rules and may not WANT to be in trouble. Two, it's work that people may figure out, but will be less likely to perform. It really does take the overall amount of rashness down. Same example: Furcadia. Also, there was this chat game I used to play on/run that I honestly forget the name of, but it'd be another example. I have never seen as many swears in a place with filters as opposed to a place without.

Also, I don't mean to bag on the mods. I'm just genuinely amazed at how many offenses occur and I have yet to see anyone officially say "Hey. Stop that." If they are via whispers, great, but I think an occasional announcement even could be helpful?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:37:05 am »
Mods cannot just shout random words about not breaking the rules when they do not spot anything. There really is several several several reasons why mods work the way the do, the game works the way it does and what else that might be a part of this.

I myself can admit, I would want an easier way for the game rules to be accessed from the game and I would want better ways for some certain moderation to be done throughout the game, but this is not something that will not happen soon as far as I can see because of the state the game is in.

When it comes to the reporting on your part, if you let users go because you don't want to report them then you are a part of those users that aren't willing to help and make it better. If users are breaking the rules and know they did bad, they also know the risks of breaking the rules that are put up for the game.

The chat filter WILL limit the players and the game it self since right now the chatting means A LOT of what the game has to provide, it's the chatting and roleplaying that is in the center and we do not need a filter that anyone can break through by modifying the wording a bit, giving the impression of it being "fine" to swear. Not to mention that if it will be a throughout filter that would get most of the swears it would become another wolfs quest here, something the majority of the users do not want.

Just making such a function that strips down the open feeling and freedom of the game takes time, and will most likely not be something being made. Filters are no good things, instead there should be better ways to inform the users and get everyone to work together to make things better. Making a chat filter is not one of them.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:55:49 am »
I've always stood very, very firm on this issue.
Absolutely no filter, in any way shape or form, should be implemented.
No.

Filters can be worked around. "Rape" is filtered? Fine, I "raepd" you. Then that word goes. Another replaces it. And then that goes. Then we can't use pronouns like "he, she, it". Go back to wolfquest.

Why does no one recognize that this is NOT a child's game? 13 and up, that's the rules. Anyone younger is not only not the responsibility of the staff, but are delinquent in nature just for being on the game.

If you are thirteen and you have never heard a curse word or someone act stupidly or immaturely, then your life is far too constricted. A parent of that child is not only ignorant, but is just as immature for suing the game or median for the italicization of their own parental failure as the sparkledog crying "rape".

Use the block button. It is your friend.
Your best friend.

Not only is cursing not a problem in the chats, mainly because there ARE mods watching the general chats, but I can't say the simplest explicative without some mini-mod hopping right on my jock about it in the obviously futile effort to keep from "offending anybody". Heaven forbid a "young viewer" see something on a game that THEY AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ON IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Excuse the caps.

I understand that people are stupid. They've bastardized an actually life-altering trauma into some sort of playful activity. I do not condone it. As said, people are stupid. We can keep the problem to a minimum with appropriate response, such as blocking. But we cannot stamp out the very human nature of being hidden behind a computer screen giving us the feeling of invincibility and therefore "ultimate" free speech.

We can only control our own behavior.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:01:16 am by Haruki »

Offline Sayba

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:13:53 am »
Noooo, the filter was the reason I stopped playing wolf quest after a few days of having it... If people would just report trolls or just block them then there would be no problem.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:05:17 am by TheTodd »

Offline Lazy

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Ship Loves You <3
    • http://JShipArts.deviantart.com
    • http://lazy-jenn.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:45:57 am »
Honestly, I think the Mods do the best they can. I do not think it needs a filter, I think people should just report the ones breaking the rules, or just get over it.

I agree that the behavior some choose to display in game is rather bad, but this game is meant for all ages, and really you see and hear worse on a school bus.