Author Topic: General Chat problem?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Coco1

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Loki of Asgard. God of Mischief
    • View Profile
General Chat problem?
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »
This is just my opinion, but does general annoys you? I mean the general chatters talk like friends and sharing info for their lives to unknown people. Besides no one needs to known what do you do in real life.This is personal info and should not be shared. I've seen general chatters share a personal info with the whole map like their interests, problems and favs. They could use other chat moods like Prty, Whisper or Group. I think general should be used for really important thing reguarding the game and forum. But this is just my opinion.
I am Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
Re: General Chat problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:05:19 pm »
I don't think General should be used for just important things just regarding the game and forum, because. Recently got into a conversation that we were talking abut extinct countries I think, and I actually made a friend from doing so. (By extinct. Mean countries like Prussia(?) etc.) while general is used for advertisements, its also a good way to make friends when you just talk abut random things.

But. Could be restricted, I suppose. Like, no vulgar etc. no inappropriate things that wouldn't be suited for young children like myself, there is also a rule for no language but English in general s that's a start. But maybe just extra rules restricting you to on talk about certain things like what can cause offence etc.

Siggy by Rustys!

Offline Coco1

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Loki of Asgard. God of Mischief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:07:43 pm »
Yeah, but i don't think is right to share that much personal info about yourself.
I am Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:39 pm »
I have to say I agree with you. I get pretty annoyed when I'm trying to talk to friends in local in Flourite or when I go to Bonfire Island and the chat is zooming by because several people are having long casual conversations in general. Sure we have the option to remove general chat but we don't always want to just to avoid the random conversations. Let's not forget that mods & admin often have to watch that things aren't getting too dramatic there. So for those of us who want to maintain general chat up but not miss certain conversations in the speeding chat have to open up our chat box to max. Many people use general chat to broadcast their RP advertisements and these advertisements are often lost because people are babbling all over general. General chat has also become the place where people rp, mod spam, trolls go to annoy people, generally spam, and argue etc. That means that now not only the useful RP advertisements are flying by across the entire map but also nonsense provoking people to argue etc. General has become more of a hostile annoying place than a help.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to stop the general chat individuals from annoying the maps. I've often seen others including myself asking them to use whisper or party chat instead of clogging up general with conversations that they could have in close proximity to each other. Most of us have given up on general chat ingame. The unnecessary chit chat spamming in general is making more people ignore and shut down general and less people catch good rp advertisements. I believe general chat is a big reason why many rps are dying off in Flourite. I've sat down helping friends advertise their rps in Flourite and it's practically useless using general because of how fast the chat zooms by. I miss the times way back when Feral Heart had first started and general was never this spammed up with nonsense chatting. Back when Feral Heart started it was the opposite. General was often filled with various rp ads and little to no random chatting.

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »
Sharing personal infomation over General is stupid (No offence) Because there are little amount of horrible people who can stalk you and what else to you that is frightning. But you can always just warn them or report it.

If you have just had enough of the stuffs then just turn General off, Its that simple.

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:30:39 pm »
General chat can be a weird place. You've got to prepare yourself before you venture to that part of the chat box XD. Sometimes I sit and watch the conversations going on. Most of the are somewhat normal, but others...they're bloody weird. And then they're the random comments people make, the spammers, 'beggers', etc. I tend to stay out of General unless there's an interesting convo going on or I'm advertising.

Last night, someone on a character named Troy had a group glitch, so the green letters "Troy is online" kept appearing and people kept 'Troy spamming' as I liked to call it, and essentially harrassing the poor guy. Utter madness xD

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
Yeah, but i don't think is right to share that much personal info about yourself.

That's what I mean abut restrictions, I'm pretty sure I isn't allowed anyway. Or s at least frowned upon by many. It's that persons own fault really for sharing that much, yet restrictions would be good about "private information" like, don't share your age if your very young or something, don't share our phone number etc.

I myself am totally fine with sharing my name and gender and country, I personally think it depends in the parents of that child.

--

I have to say I agree with you. I get pretty annoyed when I'm trying to talk to friends in local in Flourite or when I go to Bonfire Island and the chat is zooming by because several people are having long casual conversations in general. Sure we have the option to remove general chat but we don't always want to just to avoid the random conversations. Let's not forget that mods & admin often have to watch that things aren't getting too dramatic there. So for those of us who want to maintain general chat up but not miss certain conversations in the speeding chat have to open up our chat box to max. Many people use general chat to broadcast their RP advertisements and these advertisements are often lost because people are babbling all over general. General chat has also become the place where people rp, mod spam, trolls go to annoy people, generally spam, and argue etc. That means that now not only the useful RP advertisements are flying by across the entire map but also nonsense provoking people to argue etc. General has become more of a hostile annoying place than a help.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to stop the general chat individuals from annoying the maps. I've often seen others including myself asking them to use whisper or party chat instead of clogging up general with conversations that they could have in close proximity to each other. Most of us have given up on general chat ingame. The unnecessary chit chat spamming in general is making more people ignore and shut down general and less people catch good rp advertisements. I believe general chat is a big reason why many rps are dying off in Flourite. I've sat down helping friends advertise their rps in Flourite and it's practically useless using general because of how fast the chat zooms by. I miss the times way back when Feral Heart had first started and general was never this spammed up with nonsense chatting. Back when Feral Heart started it was the opposite. General was often filled with various rp ads and little to no random chatting.

You've changed my mind about this entire thing. And now I can't decide, though you have a good point as usual Lord. xD

Siggy by Rustys!

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:06:51 pm »
I'm not in Flourite much so I guess I don't have a place to speak, but I don't really mind the general chat. I like to watch the conversations go by and when you're lonely just speak in general.
I'm not sure if role plays are going down hill because of the chatter either to be honest. If someone wants an RP they will look at those advertisements and track you down! XD
If general gets too crowded, I simply turn it off. Back when I first joined FH I didn't even know you could turn it off but I still managed to RP, so all in all I think it comes down to whether or not you have the patience to have general clogging up the chat or not.

BouncyLion101

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 01:42:57 am »
I've seen people chatter away in General so many times I've lost count. Not that I was every really counting.

Anyway, it's getting to the point where starting a new roleplay group will mean you will most likely have your advertisements ignored. Or very few people will join because the chat is just...zooming by. e.e
I admit it's fun to just chat with random people in General, but spamming it with pointless posts that other people don't care for is not very considerate to people that are advertising their roleplay or just want to go a day without blocking General.

Offline morallydefunct

• Experienced Traveler
  • Brother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:10:32 am »
Hm. Well, let me start off with this:
General isn't mainly ads.
Yes, "It's for ads". I know that lecture. Blargh. General is also used for casual talk, and if any of you see me in-game and bother to notice my user, then I'll always be in General. Really, sharing the info is on their own risk and if the information is a little /too/ private, then kindly ask to don't share that. Simple as that, is it not?
Now sometimes, you have to enter General on your OWN risk. I've been in General a couple of times where people have said things they're not supposed to. General is a little bit risky if you're a young player on the game. People have yelled, "General be quiet!", "General, shut up! Our ads are disappearing!" Well, you know what I say?
Dealwithit.
It's like telling a bird not to fly, as General is always talking and discussing. So, there's no end to it! It's an endless... source.. with many values... -Mind blown-
General is nice for making OOC friends and I love to talk on General as I get to share my say and opinion on things.

>mfw i see internet arguments