Author Topic: RIP General  (Read 163917 times)

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP General
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 04:48:57 am »
Being someone who takes my own little private surveys of Feral Heart when i'm bored can say this: We are looking at a loss of one third to two thirds of our members here. Is it really worth it? I can only hope you bring it back. As others have said, lag and movie spam are huge issues now. I couldn't even get near stone bridge without crashing, and I have a computer I built myself over a three year period, if I lag, most of the users do as well. And what I really dislike is the lack of any means of communication between the staff and the members. Was anyone besides staff aware of this? I sure wasn't. I personally HATED General beyond belief. I could never comprehend why people used it. If there is a vote I will definatly side against General, but I would like to see that WE the MEMBERS have nearly as much say as the staff in these pulic affairs. If there were no members, what good are staff? P.S. I won't be online until General is restored, as I cannot stand the complaining online or the lag.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline morallydefunct

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Brother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:17 am »
Today, I tried the movies.
Actually, not a lot of people.. spammed.
General being removed is like having it off all the time, and I have some friends who have it off all of the time. It doesn't bother them, which surprises me actually. xD

It's hard not having General around-- for me, but I guess going to stone bridge and listen to recruiters isn't too much work, or even watching the movies. I'm still a little bummed and at first, I was a little upset.

My Reaction:

As much as it upsets everyone, I guess I'm 'alright' with it. I see the downsides of General, a lot of them, and the cons.
It amuses to see that people actually 'love' General chat. xD I saw some people form the, 'General Riot' and I saw some other users make General characters that were the General chat color.

>mfw i see internet arguments

Offline i1vet2b

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Invent The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 05:00:47 am »
I have a suggestion for the movies, though I don't know if it's possible. Sura mentioned people using those for ads instead and your chances of coming across one you want (be it literate or semi, etc) are pretty slim considering how many there can be at once. Is it possible to allow different color options for the movie notifications? Like: If someone wants to advertise a literate RP, that's a certain color. A semi-literate is another color. A non-literate is another, and then other is another? Make sense?

Silly little idea, I guess, but if it can help cut down on people's frustration with trying to find RPs, might be worth it in the long run?

To serve is to inspire hope. To inspire hope is to lead. How will you serve?

EnderStar

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:18 am »
Oi. I don't mind he idea because frankly I am sick and tired of the spam. But it will take a large toll on roleplays... And movie clips are great but you can only type a little in it before it blocks the rest of the writing. But I thought it'd be taken down for just a while but now were thinking of taking it down forever? I kind of liked the mini conversations...

Beh. I know you said to be open minded but I'm upset and if anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:28 am »
To everyone that said the update was good....

this is a double bass not a cello
feral neighborhood discord mod

Offline Kenji89

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2013, 05:55:02 am »
I'm personally on the side of keeping general active as well. It feels like taking away General is taking away a big chunk of the game. Not only is it good for users to connect and chat amongst themselves, it also offers a completely public bulletin to advertize RP's and it makes it easier for groups to get together. Now without General, finding RP's or collecting members is darn near impossible. I don't see a very good future for Feral Heart or the memberbase (what will be left) with changes like this. I mean, I understand why they closed registrations but doing away with General? Really?

I'll conclude my two cents here then.

Offline Falconwing

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2013, 06:28:07 am »
Seeing as it has already become nearly impossible to find worthwhile RPers for literate roleplays, this is just another nail in the coffin for FH RP in my opinion.  I run a pack based entirely on private maps.  The only way we get new members is by hopping into popular maps (usually just FP) and hanging out for an hour or two while we advertise.

Movie clips are not actually an alternate option.  I noticed early on in the game that if you resize your screen, you can't see other folks' video clips unless they are using the same screen resolution as you.  Odd and random coincidence ... unless that was fixed sometime in the last year or so.

On the plus side ... now there won't be so much random spam and conversation in general chat.  I don't know if it was intended for purposes such as advertising, but I do have to say it was quite annoying to be out there advertising and having 20+ people hanging out all over the map just chit chatting it up 80 words per minute.  I never understood why they didn't all just go find eachother and talk, then after Party chat was activated why not just form a party and chat from their random hiding places.

I appreciate the fact that you guys are trying to improve the game performance and mechanics, I truly hope this helps ... unfortunately I worry that you are, literally, just putting another nail in the coffin that is FH RP.

EDIT:  I wanted to add, as another possible solution ... why don't you just start handing out bans to people that spam/misuse General Chat?  Honestly you could just start handing out short term bans to anyone that is using Gen Chat for something other than recruiting or short term conversation.  Make the folks that do nothing but chit chat in Gen all night go find eachother or use the Party chat function.  I guarantee you that after a week or two of short term bans (maybe 24 hours for the worst offenders)  the Gen Chat will be freed up for the folks trying to advertise and recruit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:36:18 am by Kamiboorei »

Offline Civil.Chaos

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Why is a raven like a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2013, 07:18:53 am »
I love general. Personally, it feels empty and not the same without it. Just an opinion, but I love general.

Autophobia: The fear of being alone.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2013, 08:26:40 am »
It saves me one click to turn it off, really; I was never fond of general. The overwhelming majority of the people I report were from that channel- the chat frequently descended into topics that shouldn't be mentioned anywhere on the internet, nevermind a game with a large population of children. Then again, I'm a bit old and jaded in FH terms- the constant "LOL TOAST CHEESE SO RANDOM XDDD purr purr :333333" really irritates me, even if I shamefully did it myself when I was a young teen. :P

I've always recruited entirely through word of mouth and roleplay (and quite successfully, too!), so-... Well. This change doesn't really affect me. At least now I'll be able to see how groups roleplay before joining them!

Offline Von-Stabby

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I love soda
    • View Profile
    • Von-Stabby's Tumblr
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
I'm going to apologize in advance cause I know I'm going to sound rude.

I'm not sad about this, I'm not happy with this, I'm not ok with this, I'm highly angered by this. You made a dumb decision. I'm not happy that this was an update FH was much better off before this. Its already very hard to find members for an rp and you don't realize how much harder its going to be. And advertising with movies? Well I'll let this picture answer that question:

You know one of my favorite people on FH I found from general cause we saw each other on general so often. So yeah sure it has a lot of chit chat, but that's not always a bad thing. And the spamming so just tell them to stop and if they don't stop tell admins that's what there there for. And another thing all those arguments? Yeah ok sure its arguments we're humans its gonna happen you can't change it one bit. I actually like joining in those arguments cause I could TEACH people not to joke about rape, and many other things. It also makes me mad cause I was being called a booger as I quietly protested by sitting on that rock.I have many other issues with this but I'm so frustrated with this that I'm done speaking. General better not Rest In Peace forever.

If general is going to be silent, so will I.
But I'll break the silence.

I'll be waiting.