Author Topic: HOWTO: Run FeralHeart on Linux-based systems.  (Read 9854 times)

Offline CreamWolf

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
HOWTO: Run FeralHeart on Linux-based systems.
« on: August 19, 2012, 12:22:00 am »

Been having trouble with running FeralHeart on Linux? Wine crashes, or the game refuses to load? Look no further! In this thread, I'll show you how to get your game up and running smoothly in no time. This includes sound, objects, everything, running clean as if on Windows!

NOTE: This should work on many Linux distributions. I've tested such in Ubuntu, and obviously Fedora, which I strongly recommend.

Let's get started. The first step to any software installation using Wine, is to know exactly how it and the program works. We'll also use the Terminal constantly in this tutorial, so be prepared to type some commands down.
Many Linux distributions use YUM as a package manager, so we'll be using that now. Open a Terminal window (this is usually found under System Tools in your software menu). Ubuntu users might want to do this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Fedora/RedHat users might want to do this:

sudo yum install wine

When sudo is run, Terminal might ask for a password. Usually it's the password for the current user. Wine needs no special configurations to run FeralHeart -- that doesn't mean you're ready to go though!
Now that we have Wine, we want to make sure everything is up to date and compatible. Not just Wine, but all the packages installed on your OS. Now, don't you worry, this won't cause any damage; the download size can be a bit large depending on how many updates are required, though! Ubuntu users might want to do this:

apt-get dist-upgrade

While Fedora/RedHat users might want to do this:

yum distro-sync

Told you we'd be using Terminal. c:
Now that we have the first requirements cleared out, we can start working on the main objective. Download a fresh FHSetup or FeralHeart+ setup from the Downloads page; both work just fine. Also, I'd restart now if I were you for any changes to take effect. When the download completes, open Terminal yet again. On a file browser window, look for the installer file, then right click it and open it's properties. It should show the path to it's folder there -- then do this, replacing <folderpath> with the path to the folder where the installer is (works for both Ubuntu and Fedora/RedHat):

cd Downloads

What I did there is I accessed the Downloads folder. Take in mind, that if the folder you seek is in your home folder you can simply do as I did, with the folder name. If not, then you'll have to type in the full path (for example, /home/decessei). When you're in the folder,  do the following:

dir

To see the folder's contents. If you're in the right folder, the installer's name should've shown. Since we're in the installer's domain now, simply do the following to run it, replacing <filename> with the installer's name:

wine <filename>

Proceed to install as normal, and we're done with this step.
Now, we've installed the game. Feel free to delete the installer. However, it might just not run yet! There's one thing we should do first: updating our graphics provider! Which is, indeed more easy than it sounds.

On Ubuntu, you might want to type the following in Terminal:

sudo apt-get mesa*
Which should add all the OpenGL Mesa drivers you're missing.

On Fedora, you should do this:

sudo yum install mesa*

Which does the same as mentioned above.

Now, for the last phase. There are times in which Wine looks for certain FH files in one's Home directory instead of on it's own installations. To solve this, go to your home folder and enable viewing hidden files (should be under the View tab in the menu). Go to the folder called .wine (your Wine's sandboxed C: drive) and there go to drive_c. Your FeralHeart folder should be there - if not, it's probably in Program Files or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit users like myself. All you need to do is right-click it and select Copy, then go back to your Home folder and paste it there.

If it all went well, you should have a FeralHeart icon in your programs menu now! Now that all's set, you should be able to play your game on Linux! If any errors occur, feel free to post them in a reply.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:06:08 am by Decessei »

He will eat your LAVENDER cookies.
#BlameRingo

Offline CreamWolf

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
Re: HOWTO: Run FeralHeart on Linux-based systems.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:50 am »
Okay, all done! If you need a screenshot, request and I'll try to produce one.

He will eat your LAVENDER cookies.
#BlameRingo

Offline ~Mizuki~

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • rawr~<3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:57:47 pm »
Do we need to download the Wine program?

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
This tutorial is a few years old. 'Twould be best to leave it alone.
But, I also wanted to answer your question real quick, since I'm not sure the creator of this thread is still active. I'm not the best with Linux, but I believe that Wine is necessary.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline ~Mizuki~

• Curious Wanderer
  • rawr~<3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:26:06 am »
Can you give me the download link?

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
Yes, it is required to have Wine installed in order to run Windows Files. You can download Wine here: https://www.winehq.org/

Offline ~Mizuki~

• Curious Wanderer
  • rawr~<3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »
So which one I should download?

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:26 pm »
It depends on which Linux Distro you have, If you have Ubuntu then Download the Ubuntu Packages.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »
@Mizuki and Crusoe, it's best you don't talk off topic in the threads. As I said before, this thread is a couple years olf. If you're curious about Linuz requirements, I'd recommend either PMing eachoher or making a help thread.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Wuno

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Just a palaye royale fan who draws ddlc
    • @SweertRyanScarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:07:14 pm »
how do you put presets/markings in the right folders doe?

"Sayori Beams"