Author Topic: Major problem with Map Maker (SOLVED)  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
Major problem with Map Maker (SOLVED)
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »
Hey floofs.

So a while back the files of the map in question had been moved to elsewhere for safe keeping, and just recently they've come into significant importance again as I wanted to edit it and fix it up, since I wasn't as experienced when I had made it to begin with. Once I moved the files over to my terrains folder, I opened FH and went to Map Maker, but every time I clicked on the map to load it said "Cannot load Terrain.cfg for mapnamehere!", sooo...I looked at the files, all seemed perfectly fine and nothing was out of the ordinary, I wasn't sure why it was having trouble reading it. But no worries I thought, I'll just create a different map and transfer all the codes from this map's .cfg files to that one and so so, that way I wouldn't have to rebuild from scratch all over again. I planned to rename it anyway. I got as far as loading the terrain.png and changing the height and width of the map to the same as the other, and while testing it my mouse froze (it's been doing that lately and its REALLY annoying), I couldn't get it to unfreeze so unfortunately, while the game was still open since I couldn't close it out, I had to do a hard shut down on my laptop (that's holding the power button down until it shuts off completely). I turned my laptop back on and proceeded to continue with what I was doing, however...I usually play on the OpenGL setting, but when I opened my game it for some reason had gone back to the Direct3D9 and it's never done that to me before. I changed the setting back to OpenGL and closed the game as it told me to for the change to take effect. Opened it back up and went to go to Map Maker. My game crashed. Did the same thing over and over and yet it crashed again and again, so I moved all my map files from my terrains folder to my desktop thinking maybe there's something wrong and it's confusing FH whatever it is.

But now, I still cannot open Map Maker without the game crashing, and I can't figure out why. This is really starting to frustrate me that I can't work on any of my maps now. I'd prefer to not have to reinstall FH since I have too much to back up and am afraid of losing something important. Please help!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:04:46 am by Shasta~ »

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
Re: Major problem with Map Maker
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »
The missing terrain map may be a sign the game cannot locate the file. Have ye' placed it in textures? If you do decide to map another terrain map and mask, that's perfectly fine.

As for the crashing, you may want to try using DirectX 3D9 rendering subsystem. If the crashing persists, back up all your needed files, delete the folder and re-install to try again.

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:04 am »
The missing terrain map may be a sign the game cannot locate the file. Have ye' placed it in textures? If you do decide to map another terrain map and mask, that's perfectly fine.

As for the crashing, you may want to try using DirectX 3D9 rendering subsystem. If the crashing persists, back up all your needed files, delete the folder and re-install to try again.

~ Whisper
I made sure the mapname.map file was where it was suppose to be, but still the same thing occured.

And, it doesn't matter what subsystem the game is on, it still crashes each time I click on Map Maker, but the strangest thing is at first it'll start on OpenGL, and then when it crashes and I open it again, being shown that window where you can choose what subsystem to use, only the Direct3D9 is available and even when I change it back over to OpenGL it does it again when the game crashes again scratch that, it seems to bounce between OpenGL and Direct3D9, if the game crashes on OpenGL it only gives me Direct3D9 as an option when starting it back up, but if it crashes on Direct3D9, it gives me OpenGL, but I don't know if thats just how the game was built to work in a case of someone crashing on one of the subsystems or not. I've already stated I really don't want to have to reinstall FH...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:48:23 am by Shasta~ »

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:12:29 am »

~ Whisper
I made sure the mapname.map file was where it was suppose to be, but still the same thing occured.

And, it doesn't matter what subsystem the game is on, it still crashes each time I click on Map Maker, but the strangest thing is at first it'll start on OpenGL, and then when it crashes and I open it again, being shown that window where you can choose what subsystem to use, only the Direct3D9 is available and even when I change it back over to OpenGL it does it again when the game crashes again scratch that, it seems to bounce between OpenGL and Direct3D9, if the game crashes on OpenGL it only gives me Direct3D9 as an option when starting it back up, but if it crashes on Direct3D9, it gives me OpenGL, but I don't know if thats just how the game was built to work in a case of someone crashing on one of the subsystems or not. I've already stated I really don't want to have to reinstall FH...

By the sounds of it, something in map maker is stopping the game. Have you by chance looked at the ogre log? This might help tell whats going on.

If it can't be fixed, a clean re-install after backing up needed files may be the only way.

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:36:56 am »

~ Whisper

By the sounds of it, something in map maker is stopping the game. Have you by chance looked at the ogre log? This might help tell whats going on.

If it can't be fixed, a clean re-install after backing up needed files may be the only way.

~ Whisper
Hmm, how would I do that? Is that the Ogre.cfg file inside the FeralHeart folder?

By the looks of it, probably so...Its been a while since I've had to do this process, so would it be good enough to copy/paste any folders or files within my FH folder to my desktop and then copy/paste them back into the new FH folder once it's been reinstalled?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:43:23 am by Shasta~ »

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:04:23 am »
I know double-posting isn't encouraged but I'm just bumping this up. I'm still a little lost on this issue. Any suggestions or ideas besides uninstall/reinstall? And IF that seems to be the only solution, would what I asked above about backing up my files work ok?

Offline HollowWolf

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Major problem with Map Maker (still need help)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:41 am »
In regards to re-installing FH and backing up your files, it really depends on what's causing it to go on the fritz. Just try it, backup all the files you need in the future and see how it goes. If it doesn't help, let us know~
Side account for Sigyn

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:33 am »
In regards to re-installing FH and backing up your files, it really depends on what's causing it to go on the fritz. Just try it, backup all the files you need in the future and see how it goes. If it doesn't help, let us know~
Roger that.

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 05:03:36 am »
Roger that.
Well seems that worked, everything's been put into place and all was fine and well, and Map Maker is working again. Thanks for the help to you and others, now I can work in my maps again.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Major problem with Map Maker (SOLVED)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 05:07:56 am »
Locking this since the issue has been fixed.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.