Author Topic: What Kind Of Designs Do You Like For Your Characters?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
What Kind Of Designs Do You Like For Your Characters?
« on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:21 am »
Everyone has their style. It could be dark, neon, punk, gothic, wild or fan-based. So what's your Feral Heart style? What markings, colors and manes do you like for your character? Do you use canine or feline models most? Is there any particular character layout that you use for all of your characters?

I, personally like using cream, tawny and white for pelt colors... but I also like using reds for supernatural, or dark brownish-grey for my "darker" characters. As for manes, I LOVE the flame mane for some reason. I use it on almost all of my canine characters, and I just think it's an uncommon mane that no one really uses for no real reason. For some reason, I always like to give my characters stripes in some way, shape or form, and I love using antlers on my supernatural/demons.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Crusoe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • Top Kek.
    • View Profile
    • My Github Page
Re: What Kind Of Designs Do You Like For Your Characters?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:07:50 am »
I like my character design to have a Black pelt, Red underfur, Neon Green markings, and Brosn Hair/ mane. I tend to use canine a lot ( I don't know why). I like to have striped legs for my body maekings and Diamond back for tail marking, for heas i do celtic.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:09:45 am »
I like greys and browns/tan colors, then the eyecover mane, with the black slit eye I believe. :3 I usually like to make the markings just a tad bit darker than the pelt.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:22:41 am »
I seem to lean towards the greys and browns for the fur color. And greens or blues for the eyes. The under pelt and the fur below the eyes is always lighter than the main pelt. The fur above the eyes is usually darker and the tail color is lighter most of the time, but not always.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:30:34 am »
That one's tough to say, honestly. I have a pretty wide variety of characters. <8D

I do know that I tend to play around with softer, blending colors that look good together as a palette. Warm browns, berry colors, and white in particular I enjoy and find appealing, but I also like playing around with cooler colors like sky blues and silvers. It could even depend on mood, etc. But there's usually a lot of playing around with colors that goes into my character designs. ^^
Eyes also tend to stand out quite a bit on my characters, as they're one of my favorite features on any character I design (also in people--eyes are just lovely). So, the eyes may be highlighted in some way, or even defined with dark rims and a bright color, or just being bright all around.

I also love booty and leg markings. This one is less clear as to why it's a favorite. xD
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »
What kinds of designs I like. I usually like neutral colors like brown, white, grey, or warm/cool grey for certain characters. It usually depends on the character I plan to create and how I want them to look. Sometimes, I'll go for cool colors for semi-realistic themes like a subtle green or navy blue. For both realistic and fantasy themes, I'll possibly go for a golden brown, pale yellows,or  hints of orange. There is just so much variety with color.

As for general design, I like to keep it simple. Sometimes I'll have a complex design, but it's for characters that I've had a long time to think about. Overall, I often like stripes, spots, or patches of color in certain places. I just don't like for my character to have so much design that it seems to be distracting.   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:52:03 am »
Just as Allegra said, I try to have the color schemes of my characters sort of blend with each other. The underpelt is always lighter than the main pelt, but... idk, all my characters are different from one another in some way ^^
Farewell everyone<3

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:54 am »
I like lighter colors.  I often pick a cream or brown color for the pelt and a slitly lighter or white underbelly.  I like markings that are well balanced on the character like the bubble marking.  I also make the markings quite close to the pelt color so it doesn't stand out too much.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
For me, I've noticed I use variations of brown or tan quite often.
Usually that will be the base color then I go lighter for the underfur and darker for some markings.
I tend to go for the more realistic design for most of my characters.
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:05:38 pm »
I like to mix it up, unless the characters are related... Even then, I have to add unique features in there. I don't really have a color preference... I guess it depends what looks good to me!
I bring the 'crazy' to 'crazy characters' though, they look pretty different than what you may find elsewhere.