Author Topic: Opinions about the new RP system  (Read 2464 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Re: Opinions about the new RP system
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 06:28:58 am »
The ranks that look like they're split from one rank. why can't the warrior hunt or the assassin spy with their fighting training? I don't like ranks much because I feel limited to the role of my rank, it bores me when I just serve only ONE purpose in the pack which is whatever my rank does.

It's true that it takes more than one to successfully start a group. I've never succeeded starting a group on my own, but I didn't have to advertise at all to gain members when the group I was in had more than just the creator of the group.

I've ran out of words to type a lot, I'll sometimes type only what my character says. But when faced with a limit to the lines I should type, I feel I should just describe a yawn in utmost detail, or just add a line that says the tail is swishing. I end up with something like this:
What I come up with, then it's an instant run out of lines for me
"The grass parted between Bert's toes on which you could see his gleaming new claws, he was eager to hunt. With a swish of his tail he was off, out of the den, eyes scan the area around him. At a rabbit he pounces thinking "What a tasty morsel this'll be", then he landed with a splat on his empty paws that couldn't catch him in time. Briefly baring his yellowish fangs, he padded back to the den where he'd think about what he did wrong that hunt"
Just plugging in everything that I think my character would do if I can think about it. And before every post I spend lots of time just trying to come up with lines to fill my post, and I end up missing what would be the right time for my character to do something because someone's not finished the next part of their post.

As for plots, I don't know how to describe what I think plots are, but I don't think I know what plots are.

I don't like having to have to make an account somewhere else to join ingame groups, too many passwords for me to remember all at once.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Lucius

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:01 am »
To me, literate roleplay always meant posts with good grammar and sentence structure. I never thought of literate roleplay requiring a specified length. As long as your one or two sentences were grammatically sound, I considered that to be literate. I have no idea where this whole fiasco with assigning post lengths to terms like "Illiterate" "Literate" and "Semi-Literate" came from. It's quite ludicrous too; just because someone doesn't write two whole paragraphs doesn't mean they can't read or write.

I can understand the general connotation that probably influenced the rise of these terms, but I still think that they should be changed. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert are not only more appropriate, but also bring less judgement upon those who are labeled with these terms.

Back when I was more involved with roleplaying in FeralHeart (this was about two and a half years ago), I used to join mostly Semi-Literate roleplays. They consisted of one or two "paragraphs" (a paragraph being the whole box filled in). Now usually that's a bit much for me, but the real problem started when i joined a Literate group. The quota was three paragraphs minimum per person. So, the whole thing was about as fast as a snail; it took us an hour just to describe our characters traveling as a pack across Fluorite.

And I noticed something rather interesting too. In order to keep up and not slow everyone else down, I would pre-write my first paragraph while other people were still typing their second or third one. This allowed me to think through and decide on what my character's action would be and how to drag that out into three paragraphs. And funnily enough, I wasn't the only one doing it either. The only problem occurred if someone decided to add in an unexpected turn of events in their last few lines.

Because everyone was writing their first paragraphs ahead of time, it meant that our characters weren't genuinely reacting to what had just happened, but were rather reacting to what had happened earlier (as in, five minutes earlier to be precise). So, if someone decided to say... make their character maul someone else, then we'd get a whole paragraph describing what the other character was doing before getting mauled, which is counterproductive, since they already described a similar scene from their last paragraph.

Anyways, the whole thing was a mess and I didn't like it at all. After about a week of not getting anywhere story-wise, I dropped the group.

In my opinion, having these line quotas is absolutely ridiculous, because then you have people pre-typing their paragraphs in order to avoid slowing others down. The roleplay is lackluster, because we learned to expect that the first paragraph anyone will type out is not going to move the plot forward and honestly, half the things that were being described could have been tastefully said in two or three sentences.

Not to mention the prevalence that wolfspeak had in these groups. Not using proper terms and having to rely on connotation was not a good time for me.

I've met a lot of people who I've enjoyed roleplaying with, and who don't mind writing two or three sentences, yet I haven't met a lot of groups who could say the same. That's mainly the reason I enjoy one-on-one and spontaneous roleplay without a group. I've just learned to expect that groups will naturally be stricter and more confined than individuals.

Of course, this is just my take on all of this, so it's possible that my experience hasn't been anything like someone else's.

Offline Raspbearies

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • fruity fresh
    • raspbearies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 04:40:34 pm »
Hmm. To be honest, I classify myself as being "literate" & that's the term I have used when looking for role-plays since about 2012. I don't think anyone means any harm by the classifications! It's just a brief way of saying, "How well do you write?" in my opinion. Though, there probably could be better words used to describe the 'levels' of role-play writing than those.

I do think that literate role-players are sometimes more... critical than those that are not "literate." More than a few times, I've joined literate role-play groups & then ended up leaving after a few days because they were very (for lack of a better word!) stuck-up. I want to be with a group that can have fun! I don't want to just role-play when I join a group, you know? I also want to talk a bit out of character & find out things about my fellow members, so that I'm able to make friendships. I don't really care for groups that I almost feel uncomfortable being myself in, if that makes any sense? I do find that literate role-play is a bit more slow, but I think that is because more thought usually goes into the writing. I think that both "literate" & "illiterate"
 role-playing can be very fun! I think the reason that there are SO many literate groups around now is because Feral-Heart has been out for so long, & the vast majority of the community is probably very used to how everything works. I will admit, this does stink a bit for the newer members of our community, but I have seen multiple "semi-literate" groups waddling about! (Honestly, in my experience, when someone says their group is "semi-literate," their group is usually very lenient about role-play skills & will accept just about anyone -- but this is probably not ALWAYS the case.)

I do kind of miss going to Bonfire & being engrossed in some role-play with the "illiterate" people, though. Maybe they weren't the best at writing yet, but they were very creative & funny! Those are some of my fondest memories of Feral-Heart. ♥

I really don't like how rude some of the literate people can be, though. I have never been rejected from a group based on my role-playing skills, but I have been afraid to join groups because they seemed very "strict." Honestly, I think that it all comes down to the people within the groups & how they react towards one another. Although, I do wish that there were not drawn lines separating role-players from one another. I kind of miss when you could walk up to someone & just start typing away. I think that, perhaps, people just need to be a bit kinder when it comes to role-playing, instead of pretending they're better. Everyone was a "noob" once! :)

In-game username: Raspbearies
I'm typically found over on my other account now! - Kowri

raspbearies.deviantart.com