Poll

What's the hardest part of mapmaking?

Making the heightmap
Making the terrain mask
Getting inspiration
Placing water and meshes
Placing a bunch of the same mesh over and over and over again

Author Topic: Mapmakers! What's the hardest part of mapmaking?  (Read 7222 times)

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
Mapmakers! What's the hardest part of mapmaking?
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:31:04 am »
Ahah, a friend and I were discussing mapmaking and we got into a discussion about what's the most difficult part.

We decided that it was when you had to place, in both our cases, a ton of trees on a large-sized map.

TREEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

So, fellow mapmakers, what say you?
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Mapmakers! What's the hardest part of mapmaking?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:38:08 am »
I agree that putting the meshes on the map is the most tedious part... but coming up with a creative and interesting design is tough too. Sticking to the original plan is tough, it's so easy to just settle for less than perfect.

On top of that, while you may be proud of your map when you start, over time it becomes more...difficult to keep liking it when it isn't fresh in your mind.

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:14 am »
If im making a forest map, the hardest part is adding all the trees. Seriously for a huge realistic forest map it takes a lot of work adding all those trees and working with the lag. Something i would like to know is how to make a mountain on a heightmap.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

CloudFish

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
I hate object placing. Once I I've got the height map the way I want it, and the mask in place. All that's left is to place hundreds of objects over a wide-spread map.

I hate placing water, it's always hardest to get all the bits equal enough, and then to make sure they're not glitched up.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »
Placing a ton of the same object isn't really too tough for me. I check the "Randomize clone" and keep pressing "c" all around the map, being sure to press "x" to reset my mesh every now and then (about 10-20 clicks). I can press "c" pretty fast and place a lot of items in a short time. I need to be careful though because the lag will eat me if I go too fast or place too many. I had to restart a map because I placed a few hundred thousand flowers on it.

Offline heartsgirl99

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »
I'm making a map and the hardest part is: mesh placing. It hurts my shoulders when I add a bunch of trees and a bunch of rocks all around a large sized map. I'm fine with making a heightmap but adding objects is sometimes hard for me, even when I used the clone button. But still, adding objects and placing the heightmap is fun and creative.
Signature by Green

Offline GaaraRocks!

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »
for me its getting inspiration. I've made so many realistic maps that take off of realistic scenery all over the world that when a friend asks me to make a pack map for them i need ideas. I just dont have good ideas anymore. My sister said try making the Red dead Redemption map. All 3 places on 1 map not seperated. however that would just be too hard to do.

All the other stuff like object placing and heightmaps are actually easy for me. I used to make Custom maps for Impressive Title and if you compare them. FH is much easier to make maps for.

Offline Rimfrost

• ? ? Music for the soul ? ?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 167
  • Mew~
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
Placing objects and chose what ground texture looks best. And sometimes making the height and terrain map. Why? Well sometimes I just start with a map and then realize that I don't have any ideas xD

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »
Went with the heightmap vote.

It's not like the making of a heightmap is the most annoying, it's just that a heightmap require so much work in order to make an interesting map in general. For sure, the different parts play it's role well when it comes to making a map(s) that really catches the players interest, but the heightmap is really the base/structure of the whole map and IS what makes a map creation stand out towards others, but it's also what you will go by when you actually place the rest of the objects into the map creating that "final" product.

People can play around with the objects all they want to really fetch the players interest, but they will never be able to get that living or creative feeling towards a map if they just use a flatgrass heightmap or plain bumps placed here and there. As a map progresses so do you in your creative thinking, and come up with new interesting things and ways how to use this little grayscale image as long as you force your mind into doing so.

I'd say the masks is probably the most annoying ones since it takes a lot of energy adjusting these, it could be a certain spot in the map that doesn't work out as you planned, or just that you did a sloppy work, and you must not only layer in the heightmap and set up your brushes opacitys correctly to get it right, but also restart the game every single time you made changes to it. If you work with the heightmap as a map progresses, so will you be forced to do with the masks, hence the annoyance.

Unless you have a map that is 100% place in the air, I'd say the heightmap is the most important part, and therefore what becomes the hardest, but of course, it could differ on how you see it. If you set the standards really high for the mesh placing it will take it's fair time.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

PolarisStar

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
Well I'm having trouble with textures and objects keep appearing in a certaing corner and when I try to move them or size them they disappear