Author Topic: Necro-posting in old threads  (Read 3275 times)

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
Necro-posting in old threads
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:08:45 am »
So, yeah, title.

I've seen people recently posting in threads that haven't gotten fresh replies, in some cases there haven't been replies in about 1-2 years. In the map section it should be allowed since the downloads are still good, but elsewhere this is really distracting.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline ShadowClasher

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • I'm the biggest Butt-tuba
    • View Profile
Re: Necro-posting in old threads
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:28 am »
I do agree with that. Really, if someone flips through the pages of the forum such as ... example in the "Roleplay" section. If you flip through the pages back to page 8 or something, you probably should check the date it was posted/the date of the last post posted. When people don't look at the date, and the group may be ancient and was long gone by then, all it does is bring up the dead topic again, shoving off more recent topics from the first page, which I do find slightly annoying.

I remember that one person posted in a topic which its last date was November 2011 or around that area.

I don't really have much of a problem with it except that it brings up dead topics that have been dead for awhile and also kicks newer ones off where you first look.

*wink wink*

?  There's this little thing called love ?

Offline ace13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • Squash ball racquets PROHIBITED!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »
I only post on new threads. Why bother posting on threads that are like 100 years old...? Well, I recently posted on an old thread, thinking it was a new thread because my computer did something and then took me to a different page or format of the forum, I thought it was new so I posted :P I can't do much about that though.

But I can't say I agree with posting on old threads, just nonsence.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:50:45 pm by ace13 »

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »
I'm not really sure if I agree if the idea of now posting replies on old threads. Because we can't do that, we probably have several threads about the same topic in each of the different sections of the forum, which I think clutters the place up a bit. Plus I think it would be easier to have just one thread for a specific discussion that you can read all the replies from people that shared an opinion, instead of having individual ones dotted about.
If the staff don't want us posting on particular threads then they should lock. I know they do that anyway.
I just don't see how the rule of not 'necro-posting' is beneficial.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Kona

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Glitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »
True, people should check the dates, but usually don't. That just causes more posts on that dead topic in the long run...

Signature by ISeeYou/GoldRadium

Dire Night Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:58 pm »
I'm not really sure if I agree if the idea of now posting replies on old threads. Because we can't do that, we probably have several threads about the same topic in each of the different sections of the forum, which I think clutters the place up a bit. Plus I think it would be easier to have just one thread for a specific discussion that you can read all the replies from people that shared an opinion, instead of having individual ones dotted about.
If the staff don't want us posting on particular threads then they should lock. I know they do that anyway.
I just don't see how the rule of not 'necro-posting' is beneficial.

I have to agree with you there. If a thread about "Wolfspeak" was created 2 years ago, and new ones keep coming up, perhaps the mods should move the posts into the first thread and bump it from time to time. That way, we know everyone's opinion on said subject and there's only one of them, not three or four.
Otherwise, we have to scour through quite a lot of pages only to find a duplicate thread about the same thing in order to see what others thought of it. Now this obviously isn't a very demanding task, anyone can click their mouse to find the older threads, but the idea of having everything in one place is just more convenient and saves up space in the forums.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:15 pm »
True, people should check the dates, but usually don't. That just causes more posts on that dead topic in the long run...

The irony....

This thread is old since January...

I'll keep it up though, if there can be an actual discussion.

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:26 pm »
Haha, I would have waited a month to post on this just to make a point but I'd probably forget. But no I don't think there is anything wrong with posting on old threads. I've never done it myself, but if I ever saw an old thread I wanted to comment on I would go ahead, as long as it was maybe less then a few months.

Offline Microfloof

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Love lights more fire than hate extinguishes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:27:31 pm »
I wouldn't apply to a group or something if it hadn't had a comment within a month or two. Or just even a normal topic. And yes, it does put me off when people to that, since they kick newer threads on the page.. >.>

Skypeeez: DelightfulRippedSofa
View my deviantART or submit a help ticket!