Author Topic: What are your thoughts on sharing accounts?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts on sharing accounts?
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:00:32 am »
Hey guys, I've got a little bit of a discussion for you. I wanna know what everyone thinks about Shared Accounts. It's a
bit of a wall of text... but incredibly important information!

What is a shared account?

A shared account is a single username being used by more than one person. It could be between members of the same
household, or people all over the world. It could just be between two people, or one large public account shared by dozens.
While this could be a lot of fun, it can also be incredibly dangerous to all involved. Even if a user logs into someone
else's account just one single time the account has been shared. If a user gives away or sells their account, it still
classifies as a shared account even if the original account owner never logs into it again.

Sharing your password with a house mate:

The least harmful of shared accounts; you have shared your log in information with a sibling, spouse or friend. There are
many reasons behind this; receiving help, showing off the game, going AFK and someone other than you plays in your absence.

In this case it is impossible for a mod to tell it was not you behind the keyboard; you take full responsibility for what
is done to your account while you are not using it. It is not uncommon for a sibling to hop on a person's account and say
and do wretched things; all under your name! The best way to avoid this is simply logging out when going AFK, or not

sharing your log in information with family members. Do not share accounts with siblings, each of you should have your own individual username.

Group accounts:

A group account is an account used to manage a roleplay group in game. The group's staff members are given the login
information to the group leader's account, often created for that purpose, so that they may manage group members by adding or removing them from the group. While this setup is incredibly efficient to operating a group, it could lead to serious problems should the wrong user be given this information! If one of the people on the account breaks a rule and receives a ban on that account, all the other users who have logged into that account risk being banned as well!

Someone shares their password over the net:

This is straight up dangerous. Never EVER use someone else's login information as it could lead to your personal account being banned. Do not believe anyone who is giving out their password for any reason. They may say it is because they "are quitting Feralheart","Want to show you their characters"," are banned and want to see if it works on someone else's computer". Any reason could lead to your account being banned, or their ban transfering to your account! Do not take someone elses account for any reason, it's simple enough to make a new account anyway.

Well there is a quick summery, and now I'm curious. Above is what I think....what do you think?

Offline BigSkippy

• Warden Of FH
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • Winter Is Coming
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: What are your thoughts on sharing accounts?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:31:17 am »
I think its just plain silly my dear Sam, Most of the reasons as to why you have stated and are honestly true. I personally don't like it as  some user may of done something to offend me and I will hold a grudge against them when really it was truthfully one of their family members (Which is something you can never truly be sure of).

You have really stated all the reasons as to why I do not like account sharing.
Never Forget What You Are, The Rest Of The World Will Not. Wear It Like Armor And It Can Never Be Used To Hurt You.

CloudFish

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
the thought of sharing an account for leading a group never even crossed my mind, though I could see how it'd be both helpful and harmful. for all that it's worth, it'd be useful for the group itself, and the leader and those they share the password with, but with the faults you've pointed out, can see why it'd prove hazardous.

as for the others, am not in favor of ever sharing accounts. not only for the risk of an account ban, but because of the passwords stored in with my account (which could easily be changed, but for lazy-ness's sake will not be).

however, i can not see someone's point in wanting to share an account when it is so simple to just create a new one for the person wishing to play. nor can i see why you'd want to share one with a friend. a loss of identity is involved.

Offline RavenShai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:42 pm »
however, i can not see someone's point in wanting to share an account when it is so simple to just create a new one for the person wishing to play. nor can i see why you'd want to share one with a friend. a loss of identity is involved.

My thoughts exactly^^^^

I also agree with everything Sameth put in, though here are some added thoughts. As Cloud has mentioned, making another account is simple enough, so why share an account in the first place? I don't really get it and when someone tells me they're sharing an account it has me stumped. Really, the only way I can see that someone has to share an account with another is if they have to use their parents email so have to share one, or if it's between friends one friend can't have an account cause they lack the email address so a friend of their's decides to be nice and gives them their information.

Though here's something I don't particularly like that hasn't been said yet. I do know one person on my friends list that shares an account with someone else. This kinda annoys me because if I were to whisper them, or they whisper me, I have no clue who I'm talking to, and even then they could lie and pretend to be the other person. Let's say you have a rather close friend and you wanted to share something private or important, would you really want to risk or accidentally share it with the shared account? What if you were venting something particular, whispered the person without thinking and typing up all your thoughts, and five seconds later being whispered back: Um... this is [so-and-so] o.o

Thankfully I don't really have anyone like that in my friends list, but still xD
It also can get tiresome when you have to ask: "Who is this?" or "Which one are you?" all the time, and as I've mentioned they could lie.
The Hobbit

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandolf as they rode along.
"To look ahead," said he.
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind,"...

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:59:43 pm »
I really don't see the point in sharing accounts either, unless it's within a household amongst close family members. I would never lend my account to anyone I do not trust or is immature anyway. I have lent my account a few times before only because some of my closest friends have not wanted to make accounts unless they are totally sure they want to play the game. They usually test things out on my account to see how they like it and I am always supervising anyway so I know that no funny business goes on.
I have never known about the Group shared account thing before. This is the first time I hear of that. It only makes sense to do when a leader starts a group and decides maybe that they no longer want to run the group so they hand over the responsibility to someone else since FeralHeart doesn't have an option that allows other members in a group to add new members aside from the leader. Maybe the game should just allow for that option so that people can stop sharing an account for a group.
All in all I don't like the idea of sharing accounts unless its done among very close trusted mature kin. Sharing an account to just anyone and public is just foolish when it is so easy and fast to make your own account here. Another reason why I do not like the shared account thing is also because you never know who you are talking to on a shared account. I have met quite a few users who share their accounts with friends etc and its had disastrous out comes because usually the person pretends to be the original person I thought who owned the account and damages your out look on that person by trolling or spreading terrible rumors on that account.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »
To make things plain and simple, you should never share your account(s) with anyone if you want to stay clear of trouble. There's not really any situation in FH that truly benefits the players to a greater extent by doing this account sharing, even if it's for organizing roleplays.

No one can be stopped if they want to trust their friend  to do something for them or their account or any similar situation, but once you give out this password, you are just as responsible of everything that happens on it just as you were before.

I'd honestly just tell people to just don't do it. If you live in the same house and have siblings that plays the same game, it would be understandable if troubles arrive, but you can still use your very own account.

By using only your own accounts, and not sharing your information that is suggested in the rules, you can keep this in mind.

-Know that only you have access to these accounts
-Your risks of getting "hacked" is close to none
-If you are the only one playing FH on your internet connection, you will never get banned for someone elses actions.

Not to mention that your friends or contacts in the game, always know its YOU they talk to, and in general make you more reliable.
Former community manager of FeralHeart