Author Topic: Star Happy on Forums  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
Star Happy on Forums
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:31 pm »

..Just in case you missed it...these people are staff xD. I mean...they are the only ones with Blue or Brownish stars compared to regular members, but i just wanna poke fun at this cause....dyum...so many stars.

Like I get the color revamping and its cool, i love it. But really, why add more stars?
Is the additional stars a need? or like...was there something of "i don't like having three stars"
When looking at post, i do think the excessive amount of stars isn't a need. Like at least reduce everything by 1 so it doesn't interfere with post threads.
This was just a wonder why this happened? not to like hurt anyone feeling or anything.

NOTE: Misplaced this in Game discussion, can someone move it to Forum discussions please. ty
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:32:57 pm by Feareh »
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: Star Happy on Forums
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:46:37 pm »
I never really noticed staff having 7 stars before... *OCD eye twitch*

It might just be to show the difference between staff and people who earned 5 stars just from having several thousand posts. Either way, it does look kindof cool...

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

DreamerDay

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »
I think it's because Administrative are high than moderator, so I guess they get the lucky star. Lol. But seriously, I think it's because they're legendary and higher than others.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:41 pm »

actually explain this first plz

I agree, I think adding in the color and stripes are a good way to show that they're a staff member, but I don't think the added stars are really necessary. -i don't mean this rudely-

The reason why has already been stated, just because they're staff, but again I don't believe the extra stars are needed.

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:51 pm »
I wonder if its just a revamp or something. But its already noticeable who staff is cause they are already large, different colored stars. I just think it was a bad call to add more stars.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »
actually explain this first plz
This one is because Raz "broke" the post counter for himself and Tigg (a former administrator). I'm not sure of the reasoning why, except for it being an "Eh, why not?" sort of thing. Because of that, it now says "I'm a geek!!" (and has since the game's beginning) as their post count. So they actually haven't posted that many, but it was just a way for them to get a special saying on their post count for hecks. It's entertaining, and doesn't harm the forum, so. Eh. xD Go figure on that one.

As for the changes, we have been changing up the staff names and stars in order for things to match the forum a bit better in color palette, and also by the stars and rankings.
It makes sense, though. Take normal post counts, for example, where the more posts you have, the more stars you eventually get.
Full members have 3, elders have 4, and hero members have 5 stars (if I'm remembering correctly).
This said, even though staff do have a slightly different style of stars on their profiles, it does make sense that staff (being the workers and authority figures for the game) have a slightly "elevated" profile to distinguish it. It's not a "dire" need, no, but it makes sense for moderators to have 5 stars (being staff), and as it goes up the ranks, globals have 6, and admins have 7. Plus, it looks tidier when administrators have stars going all the way across the profile box.

There's no interference in the posts, and if anything, it may be a few pixels wider in the profile box, which allows for more space to write under your avatar before it drops down a line.

It's not like we're trying to seem "special" by having extra stars. It just makes sense, and causes no harm to the forum... We didn't think this would be a "bad call" to begin with? .-.

So, we are revamping some stuff to make it a bit more personalized and/or tidier (as we're always doing), but we really don't see how it's harmful to the forum by any means. Just tidying things up with the rankings, and chances are we'll see some other slight changes around the forum, but nothing too major.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:30 pm »
I just personally thought the way the stars were at first were fine, Cause they already differ from regular members with small yellow stars. Its not really a "bad call", just from a design point of view was additional stars needed. But hey, I rarely come on here anymore so whatever happens happens. :P
It might be excessive to me, but i'm sure others take it a different way. As for tidier, yes and no. Cause with the additional star you have a huge gap that isn't aligned and it sticks out alot.

again please don't take offence to what im saying. If it does feel like im getting to offensive on this then ill stop ;A;
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:22:07 pm by Feareh »
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:35:06 am »
The thing is really that before we changed this we checked and the stars doesn't interfere at all, it's at or smaller than the 120x120 width of the avatars we have. Funny enough stars was actually added to make things look a bit more tidy in a sense but also more organized. Sadly the changes aren't completely finished regarding the stars and how they show, but the main idea is as mentioned above. Admin 7, Global Mod, 6, Mod 5, MIT 4, MOTS 3. A straight forward and clean way on how to handle the fancy stars we have around the boards.

Since it doesn't really interfere with the posts and makes the over all ranking regarding the stars more tidy I didn't really see how a change like this would hurt since it doesn't really affect the forums post and how they show. Might not be the most necessary change in the history of this forum, but I found it reasonable enough to modify in this case. I played around with an smf forum of mine and felt it was more logical to have the stars scaling down from one corner to another instead of in the middle of where the profiles were listed, now the FH forum got the same, and if it's just a question of the ranks being well seen already, I do not mind our mods or even admins being seen even clearer on the boards, as long as it doesn't look ridiculous or just is plain unreasonable.

We will see how it looks when the final changes has been put in place.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:45:33 am »
Just so ya know, im not the only one thinking this so im not really one to cause trouble. Post above show concerns over the stars as well. But well just see how this re-vamp goes it might be good, but it might be bad. Also just a website pointer. I did notice color change for moderators went from blue to a orange-ish color. I suggest changing that to a more noticeable color since they do need to be visually visible and not lost with the other default names. Unless you are actualy going from a transition from a gold default to red
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:21:04 pm »
My reply went to all who might see this a bit unnecessary as the OP tried to bring forward.

Just to leave some space and time for us to play around with things really. The colors were indeed meant to more closely ramp up from Orange to Red but also fit with the over all looks we have on the forum better.
Former community manager of FeralHeart