Author Topic: Graphic Tablets, which do you recommend?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
Graphic Tablets, which do you recommend?
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:05:30 am »
Well, I might be getting a graphics tablet tomorrow but I'm having trouble deciding which kind to buy. It has to be under $250 or $200. I was considering buying the Wacom Bamboo Tablet but there's quite a different packs to choose from like a Manga Pack, Create, Splash, Capture etc which gets confusing. I would like to know which is the easiest to use, something similar to using a real pencil on paper. I've used those wireless drawing pens where you have to press down on a surface which hurts my fingers after a while, plus my fingers sometimes slip. Nothing like that please.

It would be great if I could get some suggestions by today or early tomorrow. Alright, so which tablet do you use and would you recommend it :)

Thanks in advance! ;)
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Tablets, which do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:49:11 pm »
I'm not sure about the different packs associated with the Bamboo, but I've heard it's a great tablet-- my sister has one! Haven't used it extensively, but it worked perfectly fine when I tried to muddle around with it. It's really small, but I didn't find it any more difficult to work with than my own larger tablet!

I use a large, A4 Trust tablet myself. It's a cheaper brand than wacom, but it gets the job done (and has lasted 8 years without issue!). I honestly can't say if there's any akin to drawing on paper-- tablets feel very, very different, at least to me. It took an eternity to get used to one! :D

(If it helps, I've an extremely poor pen grip and end up with agonizing cramps after a few minutes of writing/drawing on paper. Haven't experienced any discomfort with tablets-- you don't need to press hard to change the brush dynamics and opacity!)

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »
I use Wacom Bamboo : Splash. Works perfectly for me.

No tablets are just like drawing on paper. It might take a few days or even a week to get used to, but it's great when you do.

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/bamboo/bamboo-splash

All tablets are generally the same. None of them improve your art, really. That kind of thing depends on your actual skill, the tools used only barely contribute to your skill.

On a lot of descriptions on dA, most "professional" artists use those overpriced Intuos tablets. You don't need an Intuos that costs 500$ to do detailed fur painting or anything. It's your actual skill that allows you to do that. Get it?
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:19:44 am »
Thanks guys for replying :) I took a look at the tablets you two are using and they both sound pretty cool, I've never heard of the Trust tablet before so I'm not sure if I can find it around where I live. I just hope I'll be able to find one at the store I go to.

EDIT: There was only one tablet available at the store so in the end I bought a Bamboo tablet, not sure what pack but I'm excited to start using it. It's a lot bigger than I thought but I'm happy with the pen, what I'm hoping for now is that it doesn't "lag" like that wireless pen thing I bought a while ago. I'm about to restart my computer so I can start using it, are there any tips I should know about when using tablets? :)
Will be inactive due to work and exams.