Author Topic: Role-Play Names  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Jacoby

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Role-Play Names
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:22:32 pm »
Hello, I've decided to make this post because I'm curious and I'm not sure if it should be put here but it seems like the logical place to put it.

Anyway I'm curious to know from anyone's point of view, this includes if you like malevolent, disrespectful, rough role-plays or if you stay more over to the side with benevolent, kind, trust worthy ones or if you chose to just join warrior cat or feline role-plays. But what makes you curious about a role-play, curious to join? Only going on names, say you are more likely to join a role-play that has a name in another language, a role-play that has wolf pack or pack at the end of it, perhaps one word names? But what makes you interested to join such role-plays is my question. You don't need to only count on names, I'm just looking for answers like; you look at how the characters look to determine if you join, you look at how many members, or just the information provided on the clips. I've noticed role-plays with one word names or a name in Zulu, Japanese, whatever seem to spark tons of members, but why?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:52:46 pm by Dizzy »
If I'm offline I'm probably drinking vegan tea.

WolfWorms

Re: Pack Names
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 04:12:43 pm »
Maybe this would fit better in the discussion board o:))
This is going to be super scatterbrained as I throw my thoughts here-

I definitely find myself being attracted to one-word names, especially those that are in another language or simply made up. I don't think I'm able to pinpoint why, it's just more aesthetically pleasing imo. Maybe it seems more professional? More unique? Adding "pack", "clan", "pride" might actually turn me away from the group, simply because, in my opinion, it doesn't suggest any sort of individuality or uniquity. I also enjoy "storybook" style names. Some older examples I've seen are Day of Wrath or Reach of the River. If a tag at the end of the name is used, having something that's actually pronounceable rather than a jumble of letters pulls me in as well, especially if it isn't a direct abbreviation created from pulling the first letters in the name!

I don't actually join many roleplay groups and then make a new character-- I like to find groups that suit a character I already have instead (unless the roleplay seems super fascinating and I see the opportunity to make an interesting character I would enjoy playing). Because of that, the amount of members doesn't usually have a huge impact on my decision to join. However I definitely prefer roleplays that include some sort of malevolence in the plot, it just makes everything more interesting!

Anyway that was my splurge. I myself am pretty picky..
Throws +Floofers. Interesting topic. I hope more folks reply!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:15:46 pm by WolfWorms »

Offline Jacoby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:36:41 pm »
Maybe this would fit better in the discussion board o:))
This is going to be super scatterbrained as I throw my thoughts here-

I definitely find myself being attracted to one-word names, especially those that are in another language or simply made up. I don't think I'm able to pinpoint why, it's just more aesthetically pleasing imo. Maybe it seems more professional? More unique? Adding "pack", "clan", "pride" might actually turn me away from the group, simply because, in my opinion, it doesn't suggest any sort of individuality or uniquity. I also enjoy "storybook" style names. Some older examples I've seen are Day of Wrath or Reach of the River. If a tag at the end of the name is used, having something that's actually pronounceable rather than a jumble of letters pulls me in as well, especially if it isn't a direct abbreviation created from pulling the first letters in the name!

I don't actually join many roleplay groups and then make a new character-- I like to find groups that suit a character I already have instead (unless the roleplay seems super fascinating and I see the opportunity to make an interesting character I would enjoy playing). Because of that, the amount of members doesn't usually have a huge impact on my decision to join. However I definitely prefer roleplays that include some sort of malevolence in the plot, it just makes everything more interesting!

Anyway that was my splurge. I myself am pretty picky..
Throws +Floofers. Interesting topic. I hope more folks reply!

Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:38:55 pm »
Moving this over to the game discussion board as I feel it fits better there c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:49:07 pm »
This is a great topic!

Personally -- I did find myself attracted to the more benevolent looking groups firstly. In the past, I definitely went for the malevolent evil, cannibal type groups though more-so before the update. If I remember, I aimed more towards the high member count groups, such as the Bene's. Though, shortly after I joined they disbanded! The name of a roleplay on the contrary does not count as a big factor for me, but the information provided does such as is it mapless, mapped, etc.  I actually don't really enjoy plotted roleplays so I went for ones that weren't. The look of the members didn't really draw me in as much, but it did give me an idea at the time of what the groups 'personality' was like. As for names, in the past I went from gravitating to evil names in different languages, (I of course have made 100+ groups in my time) and transitioned into names that ended with wolf pack towards the end of my roleplaying times. I hope I helped some. c:
not active here anymore ♡

Offline Jacoby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 05:52:03 pm »
This is a great topic!

Personally -- I did find myself attracted to the more benevolent looking groups firstly. In the past, I definitely went for the malevolent evil, cannibal type groups though more-so before the update. If I remember, I aimed more towards the high member count groups, such as the Bene's. Though, shortly after I joined they disbanded! The name of a roleplay on the contrary does not count as a big factor for me, but the information provided does such as is it mapless, mapped, etc.  I actually don't really enjoy plotted roleplays so I went for ones that weren't. The look of the members didn't really draw me in as much, but it did give me an idea at the time of what the groups 'personality' was like. As for names, in the past I went from gravitating to evil names in different languages, (I of course have made 100+ groups in my time) and transitioned into names that ended with wolf pack towards the end of my roleplaying times. I hope I helped some. c:

Thank you for the reply, I've been asking people because I might start my own role-play soon and I'd love to know peoples thoughts on names. So I appreciate it. cx

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
Re: Role-Play Names
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
Thank you for the reply, I've been asking people because I might start my own role-play soon and I'd love to know peoples thoughts on names. So I appreciate it. cx

You're welcome. That totally makes sense! I wish you luck on your journey. <3
not active here anymore ♡

Flurr

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »
This is very interesting, Dizzy! I don't really do roleplays much, but I will say my opinions on it! c: I think the thing that makes players get interested is because it could have their favorite animal/series/ or maybe a plot that makes their interest want to join! For the names, maybe the roleplay name can be something based on the plot of your RP.
I don't really have much thoughts, but I hope this qualifies. I'm sure your topic will be very interesting to users! ^-^

Offline Jacoby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 06:09:46 pm »
This is very interesting, Dizzy! I don't really do roleplays much, but I will say my opinions on it! c: I think the thing that makes players get interested is because it could have their favorite animal/series/ or maybe a plot that makes their interest want to join! For the names, maybe the roleplay name can be something based on the plot of your RP.
I don't really have much thoughts, but I hope this qualifies. I'm sure your topic will be very interesting to users! ^-^

Thank you! c;