Author Topic: Map maker not working  (Read 841 times)

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
Map maker not working
« on: December 22, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »
Before y'all post about particles and that stuff, 1. I haven't exported the map at all. 2. There is not a single particle object in the map.

So the story goes. I was happily making a map, listening to music, when my entire computer crashes, which happens alot when i have internet on while on map maker, but it hasn't happened as a late so i thought it fixed itself. After i rebooted the computer and tried to go back to map maker. I click on it, and the entire game closes. I went to preset maker, just fine btw. So i turn it to OpenGL and same issue. I just wanna work on a map that was commissioned okay
Merrp

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Map maker not working
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 12:25:54 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your map troubles. o: Hopefully we can figure out where things are going wrong. ^^

Does the game crash when you try to open up that specific map or does it happen to any/every map that you try to open up? This should help us figure out if it's a game or map-maker related issue or if it's the map itself that is causing problems. When you mentioned that previously your computer had a tendency to crash completely while working in map maker, did you recall doing anything that fixed it? My first instinct would be to re-install the game completely, in case some files had corrupted in the previous crash, but if we can figure out if the problem has to do with the map itself, you may be able to fix it without doing that.

Also, are you working with a heightmap, as well?~

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 01:23:53 pm »
I can't even open a map because I literally click on map maker, it freezes, and it just closes. I have installed a new FH for the map, so I might have to delete that FH after transferring everything back over. And I think its my computer. It was kinda cheap and after i moved i plugged it in, and it got fried cause the plug was at 2x the normal amount it should be, so that might have messed it up.
Merrp

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:09:57 pm »
Is this the first time you've tried opening map maker after you moved? If so, it may be your computer.

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:42:30 am »
I moved in last year, but it did take a long time to get a new motherboard after it fried. It didn't happen right away, it was just sudden one month.
Merrp

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 02:50:26 am »
In that case, it sounds like the issue has to do with the game itself rather than a specific map. Have you tried re-installing without downloading a separate FH application for it? Some people find that operating with two separate FH applications downloaded at the same time can cause problems, so while it can be of assistance when you need to check something out and don't want to reinstall the game completely, it could end up being a bit problematic later on down the road.

My advice would be to uninstall all versions of the game completely (saving files such as presets, screenshots, heightmaps, etc), saving as much as you can, but understand that the problem you're having could be something that won't be fixed if you simply save all of the map files that you're working on if the issue is stemming from the files you're trying to save-- in order for things to resolve, the fix may be to start from a clean slate. It's a bit hard to tell exactly what is causing the problem, but that is probably your best way to resolve your situation.~

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.