Author Topic: The BBC Coding Tutorial and Guide ~ From Beginner to Professional - WIP  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Allari101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • little-kitteness
    • View Profile
Welcome to The BBC Coding Guide!

Welcome! I see you've come looking for some information, or a guide, to learning about and learning how to use BBC coding. Well you've found the right place!

What is BBC Coding?

So we've mostly all heard of BCC coding before. But what exactly is it? Well, let's start with coding. We know what HTML coding is; this is what programs, computers, and everything based on our computers and laptops are run off of. HTML controls what your computer does, how it runs, etc. BBC coding is kind of similar to that. BBC coding consists of simply commands that allow us to change font colors, font sizes, font, bold, italics, underlining text, crossing out text, and more! Some of it is easy, some of it's harder. Not everyone uses BBC coding, but the ones who do value it. I use it constantly and I enjoy using it, and so I've made this thread to teach those who want to learn how to do it! Let's get started with some simple examples.

Simple BBC Coding

Simple BBC coding is the most commonly used examples of it. Underlining, italics, crossing out text, bold, and a few more are mostly used. Some sites use [] for their "base" of BBC coding. Others use <>. The FeralHeart website uses [], so I will use <> to show you the examples. Make sure to learn which your site uses when using BBC coding.

To Make Text Bold:
<b>Text</b> Makes text bold.

To Make Text Italics:
<i>Text</i> Makes test italics.
Note: Automatically, most sites make the "i" capitalized. It can be upper-case or lower-case, but just to make sure I always make it lower-case.

To Make Text Underlined:
<u>Text</u> Makes text underlined.

To Make Text Crossed Out:
<s>Text</s> Makes text crossed out.

These are the most commonly used BBC coding types, but there are plenty more!

Different Sites and BBC Coding

Every site uses different "bases" for BBC coding. Some use [], others use <>, as I explained above. Make sure to know which your site uses! If you do not know, try with both. If neither work, you might want to contact someone such as a moderator, administrator, or the owner of the website.

So Where Is BBC Coding Used?

Now we know a bit about BBC coding. But where is it used at exactly? I mostly see BBC coding used in sites with forums, such as FeralHeart and Chicken Smoothie. But it can also be used in sites you can "reply" to, like deviantART. Anywhere they you can really submit text-related things at, BBC coding should be able to be used there.

This post is a work in progress (WIP)! Please don't post on this topic until it's finished.
Thank you!

In-game user is Allari101