Author Topic: Infertile Characters?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Infertile Characters?
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:13:58 pm »
I suppose there are some characters out in the game who cannot produce offspring. I know I have one; a husky who has an owner, and his owner had him fixed (neutered) at a young age. It's just a small characteristic to my character, but apparently it's a bad trait. One female husky, who was flirting and making the moves on my character, pretty much said my character was "damaged goods" and undesirable, all because he cannot produce offspring. So apparently my character is not "fixed", but "broken" to some.
Just because he can't be a father to pups doesn't make him a worthless or meaningless character. Why should it matter, really?

Apparently to some people in this community, a character that is unable to be a mother or a father is no good, or meaningless. I've actually seen someone say something along the lines of "What's the point in having a character like that? Where's the fun in that? No one will want to be your mate." Maybe they don't want a mate, did you ever think about that? Why does it matter? Who are we to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their characters?

Sorry if I'm going into a rant here, but what do you think of this? Do you have any characters like this?
Inactive

Offline toasterkitty

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Infertile Characters?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »
heck i think its completely fine, kinda a odd thing ive never seen on fh before though
i can be found in game as toasterkitty!

i am crazy though.....

also trash for anything ninjago or rayman

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:59 pm »
Having offspring is a goal/natural instinct for almost all animals, so for realistic roleplays, I could see why your character may come across as "unattractive" while ic. However, I think it's unique for a character to not be able to have offspring. I don't see why the actual person finds it strange or weird, but I personally like the idea of having a character like that
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Bzuja

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:30:07 pm »
Unless the fertility, gender, or other minute details of a character has a specific bearing or importance in the narrative and plot of the story line in the role play...what point is there in making a deal about those kinds of details?
This seems like a very minor detail that really, in the grand scheme of things, unless reproduction or romance or any other topic of that regard is the primary focus of the role play then those topics shouldn't have any bearing on the role play whatsoever.  If a participant doesn't like that, and feels the need to comment on the worth of said trait?   I guess they're free to, but they're not adding anything of substance to the role play.  In fact, I argue it detracts from it.
As an additional comment, passing judgement on someone's character for very minor, inconsequential and minor details that aren't specifically the focus is generally poor form I feel.  Seems you can't add semi-realistic or unique qualities anymore, and everything revolves around romantic sub-plots...
I see the world and the world sees me; woe is me, see.

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:31:27 pm »
From a realistic standpoint, someone may be thinking along the lines of having the strongest male to sire their young, etc etc, and they may really want to have offspring in the future. However, just because these are THEIR preferences doesn't mean that it renders YOUR character useless. They didn't need to voice their opinion rudely, and could've gone with "Your character can't have kids? That's pretty unique! I prefer for my characters to be able to have offspring, but you've got a cool thing going on there!" instead of "Your charrie is useless" etc etc.

Infertile characters are just as floofy as others, no matter what anyone says. Hopefully they'll be able to RP with one in the near future, and find out just how awesome they can be.

Your character is YOURS. The traits you decide to give them is up to you. Dun let the negative voices get you down <3
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Preach

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:19:27 pm »
I don't think any character here, has to be "infertile". This chose to be based in character. I just think the users who are against the idea doesn't want to deal with children or just doesn't like children at all. However, I do like to be involved in roleplays that are based on realism and family type; i just enjoy happy endings. Forgive me if I'm not following the subject, but everyone has their perspectives, just me like me.

I don't think users should get easily offended by this judgement. But judging on someone's character, is already passing border. I understand people opinions but judging is not an understanding.

Generally speaking, I find it disappointing when I see an animal can't produce Offspring. I mean, yes, it's unqiue but it's sad at the same time. But this is where adoption comes in. ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:25:01 pm by Preach »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:28 pm »
never really seen an infertile character i don't believe

i have like one or two that are like that but eh

it's a cool thing i guess

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline itsmichael

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • i play guitar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:07:01 pm »
If that female was rude to you because your character cannot produce offspring, she's rude because if she really wanted friends/liked someone, you would never be rude to them. Unless they did something to deserve it.

Ign: itsmichael
Deviantart: michael-tomato
youtube: michael-tomato
Signature by Kikiorylandia

Echoing harmony

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:08:43 pm »
I am fine with that Infertile characters, actually Male Calico and Tortoiseshell cats are infertile. It's a natural thing to be honest, especially in dogs and cats or other domesticated animals.
I can see why females would turn your character down, seeing as they forget that it is very common. Ignore it and be reserved for a more understanding one, 'aye?

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 12:03:40 am »
Don't let this person discourage ya. You seem to have a lot of thought behind your character considering you thought of a trait like this, so be proud. It could make for some interesting roleplay. Just like rl, infertility isn't something to be ashamed of. :)
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.