Author Topic: Mapped vs Mapless?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
Mapped vs Mapless?
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:52 am »
So while derping on some random rp forums and what not, I have noticed some diversity in some FeralHeart members. Im sure most of you know about custom maps, but if not custom maps are just worlds (such as Flourite Plains or BonfireIsland) created by a player usually for an rp. Now some members like to strictly stay on these maps, hidden away from all the derps in the public maps. But yet others LOVE the normal maps, liking how they can easily join rps or just do random things. Now I used to like to stay in the custom maps, hiding from everyone (foreveralone) and just rping with my friends. But once my main rp died, I started to slowly creep back to the main maps. Now I only rp on the public maps, running around on my main character rping with whoever.

So what is your opinion? Do you like the main maps (Flourite, Bonefire, etc) or do you like the custom maps?
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

BouncyLion101

Re: Mapped vs Mapless?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:51 am »
Hm..it depends on what map it is.
Some of the official maps I dislike, like South Pole and Last Cave. I just think they're really boring because nothing is in them and not much effort was put into them.
But some of the custom maps that players make are astounding and very beautiful, and I prefer those maps.

Most of the time though, I derp around on Flourite or Bon Bon just because it gets quiet in custom maps. ^.^

Offline Tokoa

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Orange.
    • View Profile
    • http://tokoas.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:34:29 am »
I think I would go for mapless because I like the public. But the roleplays with maps last longer.

Icon by Aveo and sig by WingsandFeathers on DeviantArt.

Offline mossstar1992

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Poofle-Woofle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:19 pm »
i like RP in costom if it is a long lasting RP and dont die, b/c in public u have to eal with map-claimers e.e
but if i get bored or if costums give me a headache i go to public to derp.

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
Hm..it depends on what map it is.
Some of the official maps I dislike, like South Pole and Last Cave. I just think they're really boring because nothing is in them and not much effort was put into them.
But some of the custom maps that players make are astounding and very beautiful, and I prefer those maps.

Most of the time though, I derp around on Flourite or Bon Bon just because it gets quiet in custom maps. ^.^

Good point, custom maps do get a little quite, and sometimes a little too dramatic ^^;

I think I would go for mapless because I like the public. But the roleplays with maps last longer.
I agree o3o I am still in a roleplay that I joined a year and a half ago (though it is slowly dying)

i like RP in costom if it is a long lasting RP and dont die, b/c in public u have to eal with map-claimers e.e
but if i get bored or if costums give me a headache i go to public to derp.
Yeah that is what I used to, but now im going on the public ones more often
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline dawnrunner1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Call me...Bunni! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:44 am »
well...i kind of like both because the normal maps are fun and they have good rps that are easy to join but they are full of den claimers, power players, and lag.the mapped rps are good too because if you wanted to rp in pridelands or some warrior territory you can do so.the bad thing about mapped places are that it is hard to find a rp at all since most of these maps are often empty.
but thats just my oppinion :P
work is not mine :3

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:38 am »
I only join mapped groups! When I'm looking for a roleplay, I'm looking for something long-lasting, plotted and active-- most mapless roleplays disband within a matter of mere days. Whilst I've not found the 'right' group for me yet, I've had more luck in mapped roleplays than any other. :D

Otherwise, I just lurk in Ficho!

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
I honestly prefer mapless groups because anyone can join and no one will have the problem of downloading a map. I like RPing in public maps because it gives others a chance to walk into the RP. Of course, some unwanted trolls may come around and disrupt the RP... but there's a block button for that.
Inactive

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
Mapped for me- then again I'm sorta picky just in general when it comes to roleplays. I roleplay literate, paragraph style and I find most people who do the same linger in roleplays with maps. In a mapped roleplay, that I run, I can control who is and isn't allowed in. I don't have to worry about powerplayers, iliterate and people bothering me while I'm roleplaying.

Maps let people be creative too. While maps can be a hassle for some to download at first, I'm for maps all the way. I do linger in FLourite and Bonfire to roleplay occasionally. But I find I have to deal with a lot of people who just.. don't roleplay well or up to my standards this way. You also run into a lot more people like: "O yo my names shadow n i'm a black demon wolf with red eyes n my mum and dad died by getting attacked by a buffalo when i was lil and.." Like dude, just, no.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:00:43 pm »
Mapped.
Most definitely, mapped roleplays are my most ideal place.

While both have their positives, it's been my experience that you're more likely to have a consistent, long-running storyline and active members if someone puts the work into keeping a mapped roleplay up and running. It does have issues with getting the map to everyone, and of course keeping a lively member-base, but I really like the closer, more personal feel of a private map. It's more relaxed, and more than likely, people will read your posts with more attention, which really develops a nicer sense of presence per character, as well as mutual respect for each roleplayer.

That's not to say mapless RPs are terrible, though, since they're much faster to join and they're almost everywhere. It's more spontaneous, and I really enjoy the wide variety of them all-- my main complaint, though, is that a lot of people don't take them quite as seriously. They get distracted by the various stimuli around the public maps, and they're less likely to give a derp about reading posts other than those that are directly involved with their character, and the super-fast pace can sometime lead to a degradation of detail and, occasionally, artistry (this is a partial reference to the ratio of literacy to illiteracy).

And so. Those be my thoughts. I'll roleplay anywhere, but usually I end up preferring mapped roleplays in the long run.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||