Author Topic: Fight Centers?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
Fight Centers?
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »
So before the game went down, I would go into Bonfire every so often if I couldnt get on Flourite or no one was on a mapped rp and just watch random rps. And often, either there or in Ficho, there would be this thing called a "Fight Center". If you do not know what these are, they are essentially like Mate Centers or Adoption Centers, but there two animals fight each other. These fights often attract a large crowd, and at least one of the opponents end up dying. Now this may have been brought up before, but I feel kind of bothered by these Fight Centers. I think they poke a little too much at the real dog fighting pits that occur at the expense at innocent dogs. I know FeralHeart is just a game, and that the Fight Centers are just for fun, but I feel it is sending a bad message about Feral Heart to new users, and a bad message about real life to our younger players. Now I don't expect with this thread the Fight Centers to stop, but I would also like your opinion about these Fight Centers. So comment if you feel that Fight Centers are perfectly fine, if they are inhumane, or anything in between.    
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

BouncyLion101

Re: Fight Centers?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:26:54 pm »
So before the game went down, I would go into Bonfire every so often if I couldnt get on Flourite or no one was on a mapped rp and just watch random rps. And often, either there or in Ficho, there would be this thing called a "Fight Center". If you do not know what these are, they are essentially like Mate Centers or Adoption Centers, but there two animals fight each other. These fights often attract a large crowd, and at least one of the opponents end up dying. Now this may have been brought up before, but I feel kind of bothered by these Fight Centers. I think they poke a little too much at the real dog fighting pits that occur at the expense at innocent dogs. I know FeralHeart is just a game, and that the Fight Centers are just for fun, but I feel it is sending a bad message about Feral Heart to new users, and a bad message about real life to our younger players. Now I don't expect with this thread the Fight Centers to stop, but I would also like your opinion about these Fight Centers. So comment if you feel that Fight Centers are perfectly fine, if they are inhumane, or anything in between.   
Well..I usually hang around private maps and Flourite Plains, so I only saw these fight centers once or twice.
I have to say I don't really enjoy them, but other players seem to like them. Of course, most players that partake in these fight centers are probably not aware of how bad and cruel dog fights are in real life.
And it's not hurting anyone or anything so I don't think that negatively of fight centers, I just wouldn't participate in that activity because I don't find roleplaying fighting just for the fun of it is a little boring.

Offline Genesis9

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 36
  • Doubt the stars are fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
I think this is a tricky subject to talk about, but I does merit a closer look. I'll admit that I've only stumbled upon them once or twice, and both times no one ended up fighting, they all sort of just sat around in a circle looking at each other awkwardly until someone random popped into the middle and did some sort of ridiculous power playing action (e.g. Sparky walked into the circle and used his lightning powers to kill Jenny no miss hahaha <---actually saw this) before they ran away. So in my eyes it's still a minor thing that hasn't really fully developed yet...but if it does, it could get serious. I think you're very right in thinking that it does refer a little too closely to real dog fights, and I am also uncomfortable about how people gather around and cheer/boo the fighters. I don't think it's the right kind of mindset for this game, even if that's just what it is. A game.
Not to mention these 'fight centers' are just as broken as the system that was designed for Mate Centers. It was no doubt created by the same sort of people. There is no way to moderate what kind of powers players can use nor what kind of literacy levels you opponent will have! Not to mention that there will no doubt be excessive amounts of power player/god modding :I If an literate players are to happen upon these circles, I heartily suggest turning around and walking away
Going back to the problem of dog fights though, I don't think that these fight circles are /that/ bad. Yes, they do draw some of the aspects from it, but I don't think they are similar enough to say that these fight circles shouldn't be used at all. Granted I think FH would be better off without them, but it's the users choice to participate if that's what they want, even if it draws its roots from something a tad more sinister.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »
I've only seen a fight center only once, but I didn't really pay any attention to it. From what I remember, it didn't do much harm to anyone. But somehow the crowd was bigger than most mate centers, and some people were starting to complain about lag.
Farewell everyone<3

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
i personally like them. i mean ,   to younger kids ,   guess so they  might be bad but then again if a kid wer that  young they wouldn't know what was going on. also just because a kids young doesn't mean their  , all sweet and innocent though.  I have joined on a few fight centers ad from what i see , not many  of them are very good. some get really intense and  sometimes people say " blood everywhere "  and really descibe it as a bloody and hardcore match  , ect.. but usually  i see people just saying " - insert name -  : claws  left flank of so and so booger head ". Now ,   id also like to say ,  most fight centers i see are either lion or wolf fights. Not once have i seen actual dog fight centers. From my experiences fighting in them ,    i usually try to end it quick   because sometimes it'll get to huge and everyone will start a riot. (  once i was winning in this fight against  this dude up in a fight center ,  so i  won bt he kept it goig , started   getting mad , and eventually everyone wanted in and mmost of the earea was full of fighting. i got out of there , fast.  So ,  all in all , it is just a game  btut if a new young user signs up it might send a bad messedge but if their new , aren't they unlikely to even find bonfire? wait wait  i know fight centers aren't just there  but     what im saying is if a kid know about  fight centers and such and is young ,   i dont see how it'd send a bad mesege   to them.   hold on , all add in more , i got to go do something -

~ZS

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:51:29 pm »
i personally like them. i mean ,   to younger kids ,   guess so they  might be bad but then again if a kid wer that  young they wouldn't know what was going on. also just because a kids young doesn't mean their  , all sweet and innocent though.  I have joined on a few fight centers ad from what i see , not many  of them are very good. some get really intense and  sometimes people say " blood everywhere "  and really descibe it as a bloody and hardcore match  , ect.. but usually  i see people just saying " - insert name -  : claws  left flank of so and so booger head ". Now ,   id also like to say ,  most fight centers i see are either lion or wolf fights. Not once have i seen actual dog fight centers. From my experiences fighting in them ,    i usually try to end it quick   because sometimes it'll get to huge and everyone will start a riot. (  once i was winning in this fight against  this dude up in a fight center ,  so i  won bt he kept it goig , started   getting mad , and eventually everyone wanted in and mmost of the earea was full of fighting. i got out of there , fast.  So ,  all in all , it is just a game  btut if a new young user signs up it might send a bad messedge but if their new , aren't they unlikely to even find bonfire? wait wait  i know fight centers aren't just there  but     what im saying is if a kid know about  fight centers and such and is young ,   i dont see how it'd send a bad mesege   to them.   hold on , all add in more , i got to go do something -

~ZS

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:41 pm »
ok back , anyway    i dont see  how fight centers could make people think of dog fights.  I realize that they  can be like them but  ,           i don't recall anyone in the fight centers  thinking of it that way.                                 

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:05:45 pm »
To conclude ,   to me fight centers can be fun to try out my rp skills   when done right. Though  a lot of powerplaying sometimes they are admittedly amusing  for me to watch ,  and though i don't advise younger children to participate or watch , as it can again  send a bad message about not only feral heart but ruin a young ones   mind.    All in all , fight centers are rare but when you see them it attracts a lot of people.  There may sometimes be dogs fighting but it is  rare and just a game after all and  one should know between   real and games and that not all people on feralheart are mindless people who like brutal and cruel dog fights ( although i do like a good fight between wild animals )   But  children again might not , and would therefor   turn away from the game and uin their experience. But rarely does  a child stumble a fight center ad actually stay and pay attention  nor do i think they again would have the  slightest of ideas of what in the Charley train is going on!    That is all unless i find further reason to voice my opion

~ZS   

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:27 pm »
(Psst, try not to double/triple post, Zex.)

As for me, I've always been a bit skeptical of the Fight Centers, myself.
I do understand why they're created: They're groups of roleplayers who like to spar and have a chance to show off their roleplaying abilities in the case of a fight, and in some cases, there can be advantages to this.
Of course, it can be good roleplaying practice. There are usually those who watch over the group and make sure no one's godmodding. So, they're teaching good skills to have in any roleplay setting, to have respect for another person's character, even when your characters are fighting.

However, as it's been said, animal fighting is still a touchy subject.
Making these Fight Centers gives a bunch of animals (realistic or not) a very human side, and not the 'good' kind of humanity, either. It could even be said that it's an encouragement and desensitization toward violent behavior.
Instead of your characters having a reason to challenge one another, they simply go at it and try to inflict as much damage on their opponent with no reason. In a way, it's contrary to nature, and can take on a cruel, sadistic outfit.

That's the part that gets me.

This said, I've never been very fond of Fight Centers.
I can see why some people like to join them, but in many cases it gives a sense that these individuals and groups are blind to the graphic, cruel, and very real side of animal fighting.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:21:03 pm »
(Psst, try not to double/triple post, Zex.)

As for me, I've always been a bit skeptical of the Fight Centers, myself.
I do understand why they're created: They're groups of roleplayers who like to spar and have a chance to show off their roleplaying abilities in the case of a fight, and in some cases, there can be advantages to this.
Of course, it can be good roleplaying practice. There are usually those who watch over the group and make sure no one's godmodding. So, they're teaching good skills to have in any roleplay setting, to have respect for another person's character, even when your characters are fighting.

However, as it's been said, animal fighting is still a touchy subject.
Making these Fight Centers gives a bunch of animals (realistic or not) a very human side, and not the 'good' kind of humanity, either. It could even be said that it's an encouragement and desensitization toward violent behavior.
Instead of your characters having a reason to challenge one another, they simply go at it and try to inflict as much damage on their opponent with no reason. In a way, it's contrary to nature, and can take on a cruel, sadistic outfit.

That's the part that gets me.

This said, I've never been very fond of Fight Centers.
I can see why some people like to join them, but in many cases it gives a sense that these individuals and groups are blind to the graphic, cruel, and very real side of animal fighting.

fwibbity dabit , derp floof , my comp glitched and i clicked sub twice. in any case i agree with what yu said , well put.