Author Topic: The Subject of Birthdays  (Read 4141 times)

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
The Subject of Birthdays
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »
I do know that there was once a calender for members' birthdays (but when I got to the forums it wasn't there). I heard that it was taken down because it was hardly ever used. But I have another idea about displaying birthdays. I've seen this lots on other forums, so I thought it'd be a nice idea to try here as well. So, at the bottom of most forums that I've seen, after or before it tells you who's online it normally says something a bit like this:

Users Having a Birthday Today: -insert name here-
Birthdays Within the Next Month: -insert name here-  (insert day the birthday is on)

Example:

Users Having a Birthday Today: ~Stargazer~
Birthdays Within the Next Month: ~RedSun~ (30th)

I hope you understand what I mean, if you have anything to add to thing, or any reason to not add this to the forum, just post a reply.

EDIT: Lord has just brought up a good point. Their are lots of members. To be exact, 208,035 members. That many birthday threads would be insane. So we would have to come up with a way to only display the active users. What do you think of displaying users that have been active during the last week or users that have over 25 posts. Seems like a somewhat reasonable idea, but we may need to change it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:01:14 am by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline OreoHeroz

• Taco-Hat
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 142
    • View Profile
Re: The Subject of Birthdays
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 06:02:41 pm »
I think this is a good idea, Starry. I'm not sure why this hasn't been added, though I'm sure there's going to be a reason for it :p
+floof for the idea.

I see what you did there.

Offline Shenidan

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Me hoy minoy
    • zyvy-raen
    • corri132
    • zyvraen666
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »
Its actually a pretty good idea Starry .o. It would be easier for users to find out who's birthdays today c: +floof

Signature by Sophie-Feathersong on dA

Find me ingame as ^Blurryface^

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »
This would be nice^^

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »

I was actually just thinking about something like that yesterday since many users birthdays go unnoticed and well it's nice to celebrate the day someone was born. The idea you suggest is a wonderful idea the only problem I see though is making sure that it only shows active users birthdays. Imagine with the amount of members we have how many birthdays could be announced in one day or in a month that are all at the same time.... Then imagine the amount of threads made for that xD That would be insane. This feature would have to be made so that only users active within say the last month would show.

Perhaps this can be mentioned to the other staff ^^ Not sure how possible it would be to add this one anyway.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »
I'd love this to become a thing! But, I see one problem with this. When some people sign up, they would probably put fake birthdays. And, there is no way to force them to even put there birth date. It would be a bit confusing making a birthday thread for someone whos real b-day is like a month from then. XD It would be funny though

Instead of real birthdays, it could be the day you registered. :3

But other than that, I love this idea. o^o

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

I was actually just thinking about something like that yesterday since many users birthdays go unnoticed and well it's nice to celebrate the day someone was born. The idea you suggest is a wonderful idea the only problem I see though is making sure that it only shows active users birthdays. Imagine with the amount of members we have how many birthdays could be announced in one day or in a month that are all at the same time.... Then imagine the amount of threads made for that xD That would be insane. This feature would have to be made so that only users active within say the last month would show.

Perhaps this can be mentioned to the other staff ^^ Not sure how possible it would be to add this one anyway.

Ah, I knew this would be mentioned. Maybe make it so that users active within the last 1 - 2 weeks would be noticed? :3

I'd love this to become a thing! But, I see one problem with this. When some people sign up, they would probably put fake birthdays. And, there is no way to force them to even put there birth date. It would be a bit confusing making a birthday thread for someone whos real b-day is like a month from then. XD
Oh course users aren't forced to say their birthday. I actually know a couple of well known floofs that don't say their birthday in their profile settings. But others still know their birthday. But, I get your point~
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:06:41 pm by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download

Offline Shally

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 07:15:42 pm »
I fink this sounds like a very nice idea - I'm not sure if it can be done, but as Suraluff says it's a thing that can be looked into c:

Nice idea~

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:13:09 pm »
This birthday suggestion seems like a very cool idea to be put into experimentation. I would like to see if this idea ever does catch on to be tested and take a look in how it works out.   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »
Thanks guys, I really didn't think this idea would be taken into consideration.

Preset Download