Poll

SOPA/ACTA/PIPA?

I think they're a good idea to fight against pirating!
It's good to defend copyright laws, but they're taking it a bit far. (Sign a petition!)
I am against them. (Sign a petition to stop them!)
What? (Check out the many helpful links below for more information)

Author Topic: [16.07.12] Internet Censorship and Copyright Legislation  (Read 71627 times)

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
    • View Profile
[16.07.12] Internet Censorship and Copyright Legislation
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:41:40 pm by Lawcere »

Pein

Re: SOPA?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:28:58 pm »
[removed]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:35:01 am by Pein »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »
I'm highly against this law a long with the majority of the US.

This is really no perhaps. If we are looking for something taken too far, this sure is a good example. It's such an awful law that someone came up with, like they're trying to contain the internet, or trying to.

I've gotten surprised when I've asked others about their thoughts and got the answer "what is sopa?" Especially when they live in the very country that wants to introduce it.

Here's a link explaining what sopa is
http://americancensorship.org/infographic.html

With other words, they want to remove everything from the internet that "they" do not like, block sites, content on them etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:53:12 pm by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:52:30 pm »
Oh, nono. They are being taken down purposefully, to protest SOPA. Not permanently.

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »
I'm highly against this law a long with the majority of the US.

This is really no perhaps. If we are looking for something taken too far, this sure is a good example. It's such an awful law that someone came up with, like they're trying to contain the internet, or trying to.

I've gotten surprised when I've asked others about their thoughts and got the answer "what is sopa?" Especially when they live in the very country that wants to introduce it.

Here's a link explaining what sopa is
http://americancensorship.org/infographic.html

Thank you, Red.

Offline Tanglemask

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 64
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
    • Tangled in Bowties
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »
Gah... This is another reason y I hate my country sometimes >.<'
I find this stupid. Not to mention it might possibley effect the whole world? People who aren't even apart of America could be effect. And then no doubt other countries will get pissed. Unless this is some freaky plot to tax the shiz out of people and pay back China. -shudders-
But couldn't the staff like.. hold all the information per say it does get shut down (Which I don't see why it would cuz FH is completely original right?)

"I can't tell you the key to success but the key to failure is trying to please everyone" - Ed Sheeran

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:10:40 pm »
I'm sorry, but the "Internet blackout" just proves we can survive just fine without our lovely internet. Shows that if all the sites "Protesting" shut down, it isn't the end of the world. This is the most reverse protest I've ever seen and it proves nothing.

" Oh hey guys, they're going to censor the internets? Durrr, lets just shut off the sites they want us to censor for a day, that'll teach them".

Just...no. Completely backwards.

Instead of turning off your website and annoying dozens of people, how about...you know... writing a letter to congress instead? How about proving there is value in the site remaining up?

Ung, I'm frustrated by this nonsense.

I do not support SOPA by any means, but I do feel there are better ways to deal with it and protest it than proving people can survive without the sites they are trying to censor.

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:21 pm »
That's the point, mostly. It's a way of protest, as well as getting people away from their blogs to actually do something about it.

Offline kyrotonia

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA - make your voice be heard.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:34 pm »
this is wrong of my government to do, mostly in the US we have the few liberals that try to defend things,  then get trampled by those nasty republican extremists.  personally,  this is totally and utterly WRONG.  and if i had any say so,  i would do something,  but i don't live near DC,  otherwise i would protest directly.  being the crazy person i am. shoot me with bean bad guns you idiots,  i don't care, you'll get in trouble,  i'm a minor  :P

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA - make your voice be heard.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:30:42 pm »
Don't wanna be an American idiot...
Or a Canadian idiot for that matter...
Totally against SOPA/PIPA here, along with every single person I've spoken to about it. It's true that we technologically-dependent people may not survive a day and properly function without the internet, but blacking out websites for a day would be a good way to show that we don't support it, especially since we can't do much more. (Unless some of us here have high political positions? xD Congress doesn't pay attention to letters.)  Anyways, I highly doubt this stupid bill will get passed, since the majority of the country says no. Hopefully soon it'll be irrelevant, shoved off to the "why-did-we-ever-have-THAT-idea" past.
In a nutshell, my opinion... shut down the whole deal for a day. It's worth it.