Author Topic: Is FH Dying?  (Read 12908 times)

Lucius

Re: Is FH Dying?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 04:06:29 am »
Not dying. At least, not yet. More so, it's continuing to stagnate, like it’s been doing for a while now.

I went on the Wayback Machine and painstakingly revised every snapshot of the main page in order to calculate the average amount of online users playing the game. For every month since February 2011 up to May 2018.

This was the result

Monthly Average for 2011:
Feb: 292
Mar: 407
Apr: 270
May: 338
Jun: 444
Jul: 253
Aug: 498
Sep: 332
Oct: 478
Nov: 457
Dec: 180

2011 Total Average: 359

Monthly Average for 2012:
Jan: 266
Feb: 325
Mar: (NO DATA)
Apr: 859
May: 273
Jun: 809
Jul: 459
Aug: 411
Sep: 323
Oct: 511
Nov: 547
Dec: 769

2012 Total Average: 505

Monthly Average for 2013:
Jan: 395
Feb: (NO DATA)
Mar: 554
Apr: 221
May: 425
Jun: 462
Jul: 480
Aug: 459
Sep: 426
Oct: (NO DATA)
Nov: (NO DATA)
Dec: (NO DATA)

2013 Total Average: 428

Monthly Average for 2014:
Jan: 692
Feb: 580
Apr: 491
May: 393
Jun: (NO DATA)
Jul: 496
Aug: 640
Sep: 298
Oct: 267
Nov: 301
Dec: 345

2014 Total Average: 450

Monthly Average for 2015:
Jan: 411
Feb: 521
Mar: 419
Apr: 378
May: 380
Jun: 423
Jul: 492
Aug: 391
Sep: 221
Oct: 436
Nov: 487
Dec: 236

2015 Total Average: 399

Monthly Average for 2016:
Jan: 316
Feb: 298
Mar: 259
Apr: 261
May: 360
Jun: 379
Jul: (NO DATA)
Aug: (NO DATA)
Sep: (NO DATA)
Oct: (NO DATA)
Dec: (NO DATA)

2016 Total Average: 312
I'm sure this number's higher, considering that the unofficial patch came out June of this year, but I don't have the numbers for it.

Monthly Average for 2017:
Jan: (NO DATA)
Feb: 286
Apr: (NO DATA)
May: (NO DATA)
Jun: 628
Aug: (NO DATA)
Sep: (NO DATA)
Oct: 236
Dec: 231
2017 Total Average: 345

Monthly Average for 2018:
Jan: 409
Feb: 311
Mar: 268
Apr: (NO DATA)
May: 114
Jun: (NO DATA)

2018 Total Average: 276

Unfortunately, you can see that not every single month had a snapshot, making the estimation for some years somewhat inaccurate, not to mention that 2018 isn't over yet, so there's that.

On average I guess you can expect around 384 online users daily, according to these numbers. Let me know if you want me to send you the list where I copied each snapshot's number of online users... you know, for science!

At best, I guess you could say that there's a trickling loss in players since 2014-2015. This also depends on what you mean by 'dying', since that definition varies on who you ask.

A lot of traditional MMO players say that an MMO is dead when the developer leaves or content release slows to a halt, others say that that the population must hemorrhage continually in order for a game to be considered 'dying', and some people believe that a game 'dies' when the population plateaus.

Do I think FH is dying? Well, comparing it to 2012, then yes; but comparing it to an older MMO that now has less than 120-130 users online, then no. In fact, in the latter case, FH is doing quite well considering its current state.

But I think the thing that made people left, is the update. We all have different opinions, and not all of us will agree with the 1.15 update, but I think they should stay, it's almost like they are leaving a game, and they could have a great adventure still to be continued. I have had a great adventure on FeralHeart, so I hate when people leave, they are quitting a great adventure ahead of them. You can disagree with me if you want. But sometimes we just have to deal with it and be happy with what we have.

Fair enough, but you also have to consider that some people played this game for 4-5 years before the patch was released. They were used to the maps, had memories and sentiments attached to certain locations, and felt comfortable navigating them.

Then all of a sudden, this brand new update replaces everything they've known with stuff that's unfamiliar and doesn't have the same sentimentality. They've lost the places where they made memories and friends and now they have to recreate that all over in these new maps.

It's like if you woke up one day, only to find your room completely redecorated—gone are your old belongings and baubles, now you have all these new and modern items. For some people, it will be the greatest thing ever, but for others, it will be quite disappointing.

Obviously this analogy is a bit exaggerated, but you get my point. I think quite a few people who left tried giving the update a chance, but just didn't feel at home anymore, and so they left. There's nothing wrong with that either; it's better to leave for greener pastures than to stay where you aren't happy.

Personally, I don't really feel strongly attached to any one map or area, so I was rather unaffected by the patch (except for getting lost a couple of times in the new maps).

+Floof for you though, for being refreshingly optimistic and open-minded.

Edit: I done goofed and added 2015 and 2016 to the list twice. Oops... fixed it now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:31:24 am by Lucius »

wolfdog01

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 04:34:08 am »
Thank you for the stats Lucius! I also agree with what you said. I personally have never played other MMOs (I'm an exciting person, right? lol) so I don't really know how those types of games go about when they are "dying." If what you say is true then I still stand by my first post: FH is aging well. It's old and cranky and wrinkly but it looks good for it's age.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 05:30:03 am »
the stats may be similar[and you can safely assume that 2018's number will double to flow with the others], the main reason it still feels emptier is because no one talks to each other anymore.

and the few times people do, it almost always seemed hostile.
which is why i don't play, at all.

if i wanted to talk to someone only for them to be passive aggressive to me, i'd just go on a garry's mod server or second life. at least there i'd be hearing a squeaky voice.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 08:55:26 pm »
It most certainly is dead in my opinion. It wasn't even an update. (meaning doing something to the games core, like updating graphics, making file size smaller, bug fixes)

The community feels so different, probably because most people grew up, newer children are playing the game, and it's just not the same.

If the original maps were there side by side with the maps of today, I think it would may bring people back. (I realize there is a map pack with the maps, but people aren't very techy with downloading maps, even if there are clear instructions.)

The reason why they don't update anything in FeralHeart's core, is because they physically can't. They do not posses the source code to do so! If they did, they surely would. =)

Again, another topic that is grabbing attention and I would be happy to post. Well, FeralHeart has good memories in the good old year, 2011. I personally wasn't around in 2011, but I joined in 2014. But I think the thing that made people left, is the update. We all have different opinions, and not all of us will agree with the 1.15 update, but I think they should stay, it's almost like they are leaving a game, and they could have a great adventure still to be continued. I have had a great adventure on FeralHeart, so I hate when people leave, they are quitting a great adventure ahead of them. You can disagree with me if you want. But sometimes we just have to deal with it and be happy with what we have. It is better than nothing! And we cannot keep everything, including the fun old dance animations, maps, etc. I inspire you, to inspire others they have a great adventure ahead of them, and inspire others to come back, even if they feel like they don't. :) Im hoping this can help some of you, and possibly help the community. Im sure the update coming in the future will bring back players. I'm giving you guys all a nuzzle, and hopefully you can help others come back. I feel a bit nervous posting this, because I feel like nobody will agree with me.

Yup I agree! At first I didn't like the update, but it grew on me. Once reading through posts I've found on why they removed the old maps, I understood why they did it. But as Flurr has already suggested, I've always been happy to have FH as it is rather than not at all. I love FH just as much as any of you, and if anything, it's a blessing really that FH is still here for everyone to enjoy! cx

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Dylanfox

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • just a 23 yr old that owns a furry roblox game.
    • /channel/UCD-FpoSZWsZMoA0xoECvAu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:53 am »
I'm never going to just let it die because if its dead dead then 0 people would be playing it right??? and if I still play it then that means its not entirely dead I love this game its better than roblox roleplayers I'm never giving feral heart up and it will never die as long as I keep playing itthis game is too good to get rid of look at the picture below that's why I love feral heart =P
just a guy

Offline HellHound

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 11:07:54 pm »
Honestly I think FH IS dying. I want to prove my point by especially referring to the lack of pursue for actual development.

A game that at most may have 50 players daily (when FH may have 300+) started asking for money to launch a new update for their game and they raised (copied this from their website) € 40494 EUR by 891 backers, reaching 101% of their goal. Imagine if FH started such initiative, they could get so far dude.

When FH pursues new things for their game it's through new maps (which old players don't really like) or new emotes or so like you get my point here? They waste their time and effort on useless things. I'm glad they want to renovate but what they're doing is turning out counterproductive.

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 01:45:54 am »
Honestly I think FH IS dying. I want to prove my point by especially referring to the lack of pursue for actual development.

A game that at most may have 50 players daily (when FH may have 300+) started asking for money to launch a new update for their game and they raised (copied this from their website) € 40494 EUR by 891 backers, reaching 101% of their goal. Imagine if FH started such initiative, they could get so far dude.

When FH pursues new things for their game it's through new maps (which old players don't really like) or new emotes or so like you get my point here? They waste their time and effort on useless things. I'm glad they want to renovate but what they're doing is turning out counterproductive.

The reason why they're only doing updates with the maps (as far as he know) is because they literally can't update anything major within the game. The staff do not have the source code, and because they don't have it, updates and changing certain things are very limited. I do know that if they had the source code, they'd be trying their best to come up with very fun and cool updates for everyone, as well as asking all of us for fun and interesting ideas to implement into the game~

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Dylanfox

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • just a 23 yr old that owns a furry roblox game.
    • /channel/UCD-FpoSZWsZMoA0xoECvAu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2018, 02:04:14 am »
I'm thinking about something about inspect element or a code box to put in could reveal it I have no idea but last time I looked at inspect element to access something it has the
"if_code ( 212615765 ) not entered
do 'invalid'
else
proceed"

but yea idk it is still better than roblox and other wolf rpg games
also I have no idea if that would be stealing work unless if you give credit to owner
???
just a guy

Offline HellHound

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2018, 04:47:49 am »

The reason why they're only doing updates with the maps (as far as he know) is because they literally can't update anything major within the game. The staff do not have the source code, and because they don't have it, updates and changing certain things are very limited. I do know that if they had the source code, they'd be trying their best to come up with very fun and cool updates for everyone, as well as asking all of us for fun and interesting ideas to implement into the game~

Sure deal, but if you had such huge amount of money having or not having the source code shouldn't be a big deal.

Flurr

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:32 am »
I'm thinking about something about inspect element or a code box to put in could reveal it I have no idea but last time I looked at inspect element to access something it has the
"if_code ( 212615765 ) not entered
do 'invalid'
else
proceed"

but yea idk it is still better than roblox and other wolf rpg games
also I have no idea if that would be stealing work unless if you give credit to owner
???

Hey there Dylanfox! I just wanted to let you know if you are talking about finding the games source code, it's against the rules. I just want to let you know! Here is a quote from the official game rules.

Altering Game Files
Do NOT alter any of the decrypted files or codes for the game that might affect the maps and/or gameplay. Whether it gives you an advantage or not, the files should remain intact, unless you are given a permission to change them. If you are caught doing this, you will most likely face a longer ban.

I just would like you to know that Altering game files could end you up in a ban. Apologies if you were maybe talking about something else? But if it is FeralHeart related, that is a thing that ends you up with a ban. Just wanted to let you know!