Author Topic: How to texture particles? *PLEASE ANSWER*  (Read 952 times)

Offline Vwang

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
How to texture particles? *PLEASE ANSWER*
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:36:18 am »
I've been making a texture for a particle to make it a greenleaf particle but I kept those autumnleaves in stock, How do I make the particle mats and texture it so the texture appears on the particle?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:17:10 am by leahling »

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: How to texture particles? *PLEASE ANSWER*
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:03:28 am »
So if I'm understanding correctly, you want to make a clone of one particle, yet with a different texture? If so, I'll try to explain it best I can. And I'll try to directly use the Autumn Leaves as an example, hopefully we have the same one. I'll be changing everything in here into a particle just called "LEAF".

REMEMBER TO SAVE EVERYTHING AFTER YOU'RE DONE EDITING IT!

First, copy and paste the .PARTICLE file of whatever you're trying to copy, like shown.

Rename the file into whatever fits best for you. I'm going with LEAF for simplicity.

Now, open up the texture that goes with it. In this case, its the Autumn Leaf png file. Open that in GIMP, Sai, etc. whatever program you use for drawing. Just make a new layer over it and go crazy with whatever you're trying to make.

I just made a blob since I don't need this for anything. The most important thing is to keep the background TRANSPARENT. In the case of other particles, you must keep the background BLACK instead. Just depends from texture to texture, it seems. But just keep this one transparent and you'll be good. Save it as a new file in the particles folder as a .PNG!

Now, you need to go back to the .PARTICLE file from earlier (LEAF.PARTICLE for mine). Open it with Notepad and you'll need to change two things which I labelled in Red.

Change the first labelled one into whatever you want the particle to be called. If I remember correctly, this is the one you'll input into the game to actually have the particle and save it into a group or whatever.

The second one you'll change into what you want the name of your material to be. Make sure to keep this one in mind, as you'll need it later. I'm of course naming everything LEAF.

Now, if you're using the Autumn Leaves, the material is right here in the file ParticleMats.material. Copy and paste that file and name it whatever.

Delete everything that's highlighted/circled in red there, you don't need it. Then change the first AutumnLeaves (circled in pink) to the name of the material you entered in earlier. Change the second one into the name of your texture file that you colored in whatever program you used.

Save that file, and now you can go into FH and you have a new particle! Yay!

I apologize if anything is confusing, I made this a bit quickly, and particles themselves are confusing at times! I can clear anything up if need be.