Author Topic: Modern way to make items?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Coyotea

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • You have UNOOOOOOOOO
    • View Profile
Modern way to make items?
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:37:41 am »
So its been a good long while since I've played this game. I think like... 2016-2017? Anyways, now that I am older, I am a bit more big brain when it comes to things I wanted to do back in the day. So I wanted to make, like, a cute custom hat that fits in with one of my characters. But as y'all know, this game is, like, almost 10 years old at this point, and it runs on a really old engine. And that's where I am having problems. Back in the day these resources were probably much easier to access and use, but now a lot of things have changed, especially what's available, and that's why I am here. I just wanna know if there's, like, a modern, streamlined way to make avatar items?

I was hoping it would just be, like, put ref model in Blender, model around it, export, attach to proper bone, done, like I did with a VRC thing but, even though the little "Blender2Ogre" plugin says that it works with 2.8x (my personal version of choice), it wouldn't open (nor the really old importer). Tried getting 2.79 and using them in there but when I tried importing a few meshes the importer would throw errors and the exporter just wouldn't even start. So that was kinda a bust.

I found a object tutorial involving a pretty old, kinda Hammer styled software called DeleD which would allow me to export to Ogre's files. But not import. So I would have no sort of reference as to, like, the size of the head to model it around (since its kind of a hood looking thing). Probably would be fine for like, map objects, where you just kinda can have a bit of a trial and error process to get em to the size you want. But clothing items are a lot more precise and again, I need a ref of some kind so I know how big to make the head and all.

So yeah, I'm kinda stuck. The tutorials are kinda old (or are covered up by the new animation mods (Maybe I'll try that as well, idk. I just have no idea what I would make in the first place.). A lot of sites and things have changed over the years, making it really hard to follow them. And I just wanted to know if maybe some of y'all are keepin like, trade secrets or item making has become a lost art...

Also, question, I remember there used to be a moderator called, like, Kiki something I'm not sure. She was like, green-ish with horns I think. What happened to her? I don't see her on the staff list anywhere (but I see her on that little slidy thing at the top with the blue pac man looking thing, second to last in the big row). And what happened to that RedLineLies clone that would sit next to the tree in the entrance (I mean, I wasn't on at the most optimal time, so maybe he just wasn't online. Idk, just thought to ask in case he finally got banned or got bored with just sitting under the same tree.)?

And side note but like, thank you y'all for keeping this game alive. Ik I wasn't really around during the time it was really big, or even when the original maps were around (blame my overprotective parents lol) but this game still has a lot of fond memories. I got reminded of them recently when I saw a video on this game (maybe y'all have seen that video too idk) which is why I am back here. Y'all really have stood the test of time. So many old style MMOs have been disappearing lately, but I am really glad to see that this game hasn't changed that much since I left. Very pog, thank you for your service (Oof, kinda be soundin like yall are soldiers or somethin. Then again, you kinda are for stickin around in this old ass game from the early 2010s. Not that that's a bad thing. This game has style.)
Somehow, I have come back from the dead lol!

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
Re: Modern way to make items?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 08:53:32 am »
Hellou! Kerriki (Kifi) is still in the staff team! Here you have link to her profile: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=169967 About Redlinelies - I don't know what do you mean by saying "clone" (I joined FH in 2019's edge, so...), but anyway, Redlinelies isn't in game's staff, but he's still in-game around.

About Blender, I'm not sure can I help since I started using Blender generally 5 days ago, but I can tell you how I exporting .mesh xml and .mesh works to me.

I make mesh in newest blender, then export it as .dae format. Then I open 2.49 (I got only this one with OGRE exporter) and import this file. Then make sure everything's okey and you can export it as .mesh xml. And then just short convert thing to the .mesh format. Note: I don't know how it works with animations, sadly. Also big or complitated meshes may crash older Blender.

I don't know I how I can help you anyway, I hope this one helped ❤
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Coyotea

• Curious Wanderer
  • You have UNOOOOOOOOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:39:48 pm »
Hellou! Kerriki (Kifi) is still in the staff team! Here you have link to her profile: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=169967
Ah, so did she just change her name and theme and all (The little picture below of the persona with the preset link def looks familiar tho)?

About Redlinelies - I don't know what do you mean by saying "clone" (I joined FH in 2019's edge, so...), but anyway, Redlinelies isn't in game's staff, but he's still in-game around.

AHASHA I Always thought it was a faker sjkdhks! His user was spelled slightly different from everywhere else so I thought he was a fake one for the longest time and people just didn't care/didn't know jksadhks.

About Blender, I'm not sure can I help since I started using Blender generally 5 days ago, but I can tell you how I exporting .mesh xml and .mesh works to me.

I make mesh in newest blender, then export it as .dae format. Then I open 2.49 (I got only this one with OGRE exporter) and import this file. Then make sure everything's okey and you can export it as .mesh xml. And then just short convert thing to the .mesh format. Note: I don't know how it works with animations, sadly. Also big or complitated meshes may crash older Blender.

Tried using the ye oldie Blender .49 (god the FoV tho-), but I couldn't get the plugins to load in at all. I don't think they have any kind of toggle system in that version and they just kinda load in from the scripts folder (unlike future versions where there was a little user pref section). All it needs is like, a version of Python 3.6 installed (luckily I have one already on there), but still can't seem to get it to start. Might just be shiny operating system or the fact I am running from a zip, so I'll keep trying.

How did you get to the .xml part. I was able to find multiple mentions of a "OgreXMLConverter" around, and I think I found it at one point in, like, an achive, but I have no idea how to use it. I think its one of those command line type .exes where you kinda run them in a command line and they just do their thing. Maybe it shows up when you get to the "Exporting" part tho jkdhfk

And is there any sort of way to, idk, convert a .mesh back to a easier to read format (so that I can have a ref model and know what I am doin). Tho it makes sense if there isn't (even tho usually there is some mysterious work around in those cases... idk I'm just speculatin tho.)

And about the poly thing, is gud. Nothing I end up making ends up very high poly (usually on accident because I spread them too far out jdhks).

But thank you for your help on this, even if it's not much. I'll keep working on getting Blender .49 to work (Once I learn a THIRD Blender interface jkhskd) and hopefully maybe there is some weird obscure plugin in the distant pages of the past that loads and will allow me to FINALLY get that ref model (or just export it would be fine.).

or maybe another mysterious big brain individual can appear from somewhere and giveth their knowledge

Kinda unrelated as well but like, you learnin pretty fast! I remember I was struggling with Blender for like, a month till I could comfortably use it and you already know all this in 5 days? Very cool kjshdksa.

Edit: So the weird way I mentioned before with that old modelling software that no one uses worked kinda. So now I know that's a thing. A bit big to put on a catto tho (and its already a somewhat small model). It's the computer from Pokemon USUM, in case your wondering. I wasn't sure how to apply textures in that program, but I am pretty sure if I did it would have exported the textures to .material as well (it had that option in the exporter). Idk, just thought I would mention that as a progress thing. And btw, it doesn't have any kind of importer thing, so it still doesn't completely solve my problem djkshfkhd

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:41:06 am by Coyotea »

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 03:13:19 am »
Making items is absolutely a mind-boggling thing for me when it comes to the positioning but there's a couple things that make it a little easier:

There's .blend models of the Canine and Felines that make it easier to build around (I hope I'm allowed to link to it, if not I'll remove it): https://kito.forumotion.com/t3332-canine-and-feline-blend-models-from-that-other-animal-ogre-game
I'm not 100% sure they're the right scaling or not and I know some of the animations are bugged but for item making it can help.

DeleD is definitely not the best program by any means, it's super buggy and doesn't give you many options but it does directly convert to .mesh. I usually model in Blender, save as an .obj or pretty much any other format and import it into DeleD to convert. It's easy to scale in DeleD in case the item ends up being a little smaller/bigger than anticipated, just export and restart so it's not too much of a hassle. I could never get Blender plugins to work since I'm computer illiterate so that's one work around

But in summary, basically there's no good way to make items still as far as I'm aware lmao, I'm still waiting for someone to make a tutorial on how the item codes work :( Some people seem to be able to pump out items pretty fast though but there's really not much for public tutorials/resources. 

I really hope someone with item knowledge can give some more input cause I wanna know too haha

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Dark_heart

• -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:51 am »
If needed, I can send you Blender 2.49 with all working scrips for OGRE and other formats (okey, maybe not all, but a lot haha), I can send you OgreXMLConverter with all four needed files, lol. Just tell me if you want it!
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Coyotea

• Curious Wanderer
  • You have UNOOOOOOOOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:06:53 pm »
Making items is absolutely a mind-boggling thing for me when it comes to the positioning but there's a couple things that make it a little easier:

There's .blend models of the Canine and Felines that make it easier to build around (I hope I'm allowed to link to it, if not I'll remove it): https://kito.forumotion.com/t3332-canine-and-feline-blend-models-from-that-other-animal-ogre-game
I'm not 100% sure they're the right scaling or not and I know some of the animations are bugged but for item making it can help.

DeleD is definitely not the best program by any means, it's super buggy and doesn't give you many options but it does directly convert to .mesh. I usually model in Blender, save as an .obj or pretty much any other format and import it into DeleD to convert. It's easy to scale in DeleD in case the item ends up being a little smaller/bigger than anticipated, just export and restart so it's not too much of a hassle. I could never get Blender plugins to work since I'm computer illiterate so that's one work around

But in summary, basically there's no good way to make items still as far as I'm aware lmao, I'm still waiting for someone to make a tutorial on how the item codes work :( Some people seem to be able to pump out items pretty fast though but there's really not much for public tutorials/resources. 

I really hope someone with item knowledge can give some more input cause I wanna know too haha

Hhsjdka ye. But thank you for the models. Those will def help (probably need a lil positioning to get to the default spots but still. Will work.). And I still don't know what item codes are and now I am scared jskhdsdfh

If needed, I can send you Blender 2.49 with all working scrips for OGRE and other formats (okey, maybe not all, but a lot haha), I can send you OgreXMLConverter with all four needed files, lol. Just tell me if you want it!

OOOOH YES DEFINITLY PLEASE JKDHFKSDHF. I think I found the post where that package thing you mentioned was. However, the link they left was dead so I couldn't get that (and that post was made all the way back in 2013 and the person who posted it hasn't logged on since 2018). So yeah, please do send that.

Offline Dark_heart

• -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 04:02:28 pm »

OOOOH YES DEFINITLY PLEASE JKDHFKSDHF. I think I found the post where that package thing you mentioned was. However, the link they left was dead so I couldn't get that (and that post was made all the way back in 2013 and the person who posted it hasn't logged on since 2018). So yeah, please do send that.
Okey, here we go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tBdbfaTJC8-AgHHua5bvA8ui2-qePbJf/view?usp=sharing

Move BlenderFoundationB to C:\ disc > program files (x86). exe's and dll files move to desktop or documents, just remember where they are. To export mesh in right format in Blender, click export > OGRE mesh. It will create .mesh.xml and .material itself. Done? Go to your .mesh.xml file, right-click > open with > loom for another app on this PC > OgreXMLConverter. Don't use Magick or Updater files. It will write your .mesh file. Then just make sure that files are in FH >media > objects > my_objects and load it in-game!
Tell me if you have any problems with this.
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Coyotea

• Curious Wanderer
  • You have UNOOOOOOOOO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 07:29:53 pm »
Good news, it worked. I now have a tiny lil cube. And I'll def be able to use this method for other things. A lot easier to attached textures too as well compared to DeleD. Thank you all for the help on that. After all of these trials, I shall finally be able to make my smol catto hood.

Maybe at some point there should be a modernized tutorial made, now that we have figured all this out, I dunno jshdfk.

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 08:17:42 pm »
So glad you got it figured out! HUGE thank you to everyone who helped out. I'll be locking this now~

Also agree. A modernized tutorial would be a LIFE saver for mesh making.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:19:55 pm by Ame88 »

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort