Author Topic: The unfinished tool "Movie Maker"  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Turtl

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Smallest profile picture to date.
    • View Profile
Re: The unfinished tool "Movie Maker"
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:07 am »
If the moviemaker tool was actually finished it would probably have a way to move your character around perform actions and change emotes with some kind of node system, which in term allows the movement of multiple ''puppets''.

just me speculating about it alot but would make the perfect one man movie tool, I'm guessing it would have been something like that.
"Quiet people have the loudest minds."
- Stephen Hawking

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »
If the moviemaker tool was actually finished it would probably have a way to move your character around perform actions and change emotes with some kind of node system, which in term allows the movement of multiple ''puppets''.

just me speculating about it alot but would make the perfect one man movie tool, I'm guessing it would have been something like that.

That was what I was thinking

I was also thinking it would have a smoother camera movement(Not saying the one that's actually there isn't smooth, I'm just saying it'd be smoother), and with a LOT of options to choose from.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Peenut2k7

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • MS Paint artist who likes dinosaurs too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
I have to guess that the Movie Maker would've been this tool that allowed someone to make movies as if you were in Blender, though rather simplified. For example, you have to make a scene for a character walking. To make it walk, you have to take a marker and drag it somewhere. To make the character go in multiple directions while walking, you would press a button (preferably the Alt button on your keyboard) to make a marker between the destination marker and the character, and of course, you can make more markers. Of course, you would likely want to change the character's walk to a run (or vice versa), or make it jump. The actions panel lets this happen.

When you select a movement trail, the actions panel displays two options: run and jump. Of course, the 'crouch' button would be selectable at all times, and 'jump' would be in the normal 'actions' tab. Of course, like in the ingame movie maker, the actions and emotes can be toggled for a certain scene, and for a certain amount of time in a scene.

As for text, you can fairly simply add text to a scene, said text only appearing for a set amount of time, changeable via the 'Movie' menu. But besides adding text, you can upload files from your computer to add new music, and even give the characters voices! Thankfully, if you assign an audio file to a character, the lipsync will attempt (keyword 'attempt') to sync up with the audio.

Now for the part that can either be really fun, or really tedious. Animating your characters. Not dissimilar to Blender, all characters have skeletons (informally rigs) that can be animated. When you have a character selected, the 'Movie' panel will give you the option to go into 'Skeleton Mode'. In Skeleton Mode, the timeline gains a new feature: keyframes. Almost exactly like within Blender,  keyframes are your ticket to animating your movie. Thankfully, all characters are IK rigged, meaning you simply have to move a paw up and down for the entire leg to move. This can be the gateway to far more realistic animations than the ingame FeralHeart engine allows! Unfortunately, you are unable to edit the facial features of a character. This is what emotes are for, anyways.

So, is this a good concept for the movie maker, or no?
cartoon lion and dog game

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »
Bump. I think it would be interesting to hear some fresh opinions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:26:06 pm by Moontwist »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 11:40:38 pm »
Pretty sure it would've functioned like campaigns in Impressive Title.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:43 am »
Movie maker, where you can script the camera movement and angles (maybe with the mouse?) would have been an interesting feature (i imagined it as being finished like that) and there would probably be many short films on youtube made using it.
Guess we'll never know.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Lucius

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 05:19:01 pm »

I think so too. I'm assuming the Movie Maker would have had the ability to create and move cameras, as well as switch the active one. Probably by setting keys on a timeline. And of course the typical camera movements like crane, tilt, pan, zoom, dolly, and track would be available.

As far as characters go, I believe it would have been something like Motionbuilder by Autodesk, if any of you know it. Essentially, you place a character into the scene, and select an action for them to perform, as well as choosing when they do it. I assume moving would be done by placing markers to show where the character would go, and then it's only a matter of selecting whether they run, walk, or crawl there.

Actions and emotes would be selectable, and could probably be overlaid on a different layer than the base movements. I don't think there would have been a way to move the bones in the Movie Maker tool, that sounds much too complex for what FeralHeart allows, especially since the character rigs don't have controllers, but are animated by moving the joints themselves.

I also think that the Movie Maker tool would have allowed the use of a specific map, as well as the selection and changing of weather / sky types. As far as "text" goes, I think that could have been a box where you enter text that you either want your character to speak, or to appear on the screen, like a title. You could of course choose when the text appears / is spoken in your movie.

Would probably be useful for the AMV contest.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »
probably like any machinima maker

have creature move here and certain time, do actions x y k l z at x spot in 2 second, etc etc.

edit: oh hell i just realized this might be a necro/i posted here ages ago. history has been resurrected before us this day.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972