Author Topic: Fantasy Bias  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Klipspringer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • D'aw, I need wings...
    • View Profile
    • about me
Fantasy Bias
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:02:16 am »
I've noticed a bit of a trend in roleplays lately. This kind of ties into literacy vs. illiteracy, but it seems like certain types of fantasy plots are brushed off nowadays. I'm not necessarily talking about demons or dragons, but wizards or trolls and such. A lot of the time, popular groups may have certain fantasy races (like the mentioned demons, dragons, elven wolves, etc.), but wizardly animals are "cringey" or "unoriginal," or orcs/trolls/ogre animals are "boring" or "juvenile" or "disgusting." Which does kind of make sense, wizard OCs have a bad reputation for powerplaying or being Mary-sues, and yes, in most representations, orcs are just great rampaging simpletons (not to mention it's harder to turn them into attractive anime boys).

Though I feel like they can be improved on. The whole point of roleplaying fantasy characters is to develop them your own way. Dragons weren't always wise, respectful creatures in media. Just ask Dark Souls. People rewrote them and interpreted them onto animals as they liked. We barely see any imps either. Why not? They're fun, mischievous and not entirely evil, but not to be messed with... just like a lot of people's characters, I've noticed.

This got sort of ranty, whoops! Anywho, am I the only one who thinks this way? Anyone else have some fantasy creatures we need to see more of?

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Bias
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 04:10:39 am »
i entirely agree, fantasy creation is endless and can be morphed and interpreted to however the creator wants it to be
but the reasons you stated are mostly why people turn away from any RP that involves those races
but again, fantasy can be changed to however it needs to be done

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE