Author Topic: Exported map won't work?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Amaimono

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Exported map won't work?
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:29 pm »
Hello!
I've been making and exporting maps for ages and it never happened to me before, so i'm really confused.
I made a map for me and my friend for our rp. I exported it, writed down names of exported files to be sure i don't miss anything, and sent everything to my friend. But when she tries to go in there - her game crashes.
I always save objects i use, like, again in a group named after the map, so i don't have to look for them everywhere and i don't have to send my friends like 7 different files when map is exported.
I've been using this method for ages and it ALWAYS worked. I have no idea why this isn't working now. Maybe something is wrong with her game? Maybe i can send my map to someone to see if it crashes for them too?
Or maybe something has changed in map maker since i've played FH for the last time and now i can't use my method?
Oh and also sorry if there's a topic like this. I just didn't find anything helpful..

Preach

Re: Exported map won't work?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:57:31 pm »
There probably are some errors in the files the map is using. Check all the meshes in the object groups you've used in the map, make sure none of them have a "missing texture/material" or are actually missing from the group itself. Check the sky and weather, make sure there aren't any missing particles or files.

As for the crashing, check your "particles" and "Sky" folder for particle duplicates. They look like this:

nameoffile_0.particle or sometimes nameoffile_1.particle.

Find and delete those files.

I'm not sure what else I can do to help with your map, I've experienced the same kind of things with my maps. Maybe your map is just a little too big?

I hope you find the answer to your problem :)

Offline Amaimono

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:20:59 pm »
Thank you! I'll make sure everything with objects is okay... But i think there's nothing wrong with them. I made the map the same day i saved all objects into that group so there shouldn't be any problem with them. But i hope it's not the map size's fault, because i really don't want to make it smaller... And i also don't think 8000 is too big..? It works just fine for me.

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »
Thank you! I'll make sure everything with objects is okay... But i think there's nothing wrong with them. I made the map the same day i saved all objects into that group so there shouldn't be any problem with them. But i hope it's not the map size's fault, because i really don't want to make it smaller... And i also don't think 8000 is too big..? It works just fine for me.

Size shouldn't matter with maps. I've made plenty of maps with extreme sizes and they work perfectly fine.

What may be the problem is how y'er friend placed the files. I would ask 'em to give ye a step by step list as to where they placed everything. One misplaced file can cause a crash.

Also, just to be sure, ye didn't rename any files after ye exported them, right? If so, that may be the issue, although ye probably didn't do this. Just throwing out every possible situation that could of occurred.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Amaimono

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »
No, no. I didn't re-named anything.
Misplaced files can cause a crash too? Oh, i didn't know... I'm going to ask her now.
Thank you for your help!

Offline Amaimono

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 07:36:44 pm »
No, no. I didn't re-named anything.
Misplaced files can cause a crash too? Oh, i didn't know... I'm going to ask her now.
Thank you for your help!
Okay so there are only 4 objects(EDIT- i mean Files, sorry!):
.fho
.fhw
.fhs
and .fhm
And as far ad i know they all belong to the export folder, where she put them.
I also checked my objects and there's nothing wrong with them.
Now i just completely have no idea what is going on.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
If the map is working for you, but not for your friend, it's possible that your friend's computer cannot handle a sky or weather file (if there is one) or the amount of lag caused due to excessive use of meshes or collisions. If this is the case, you could try having them delete the weather file and/or reduce the number of objects and collisions in the map, yourself. When downloading the map, be sure that your friend selects "replace" if/when the download asks her to, instead of skipping a file.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:59:07 pm »
Hmm, are they in the exports folder directly, or are they in a folder themselves?

This may be an odd question, but where does she 'ave the FH folder itself? I've had a roleplay member with this sort of issue and they realized that they had FH in Program Files (x86) folder. Once they moved it out of there, the maps started to work. Perhaps she has the same issue?

Be sure to 'ave her check f'er copies of FH in her computer files. She could be placing it in a copy of the FH files rather than the one that the game is working off of.

Offline Amaimono

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
So:
- She has FH folder directly in C:\
- Map files are in exports directly and she has no other copies of FH folder/files.
- Map is working for me, but her game just crashes. That's why i wanted to send it to someone else to see if it works for them... But i don't know anybody i can send my map to.
- She just tried to go in there after deleting the sky and weather files, but it still craches.
I guess all i can do now is reduce the numer of objects?

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
Feel free to send me the map files if ye want and I'll see if I can get it to work on m'laptop. ;)

Is the weather a custom weather? Meaning, did ye make the weather particles y'erself? If ye drew the weather image y'erself than be sure to see if 'twas included in the download. I f'ergot to do that with a fire rain I made and whenever the weather started up, everyone who downloaded the map crashed and I was left alone. XD

How old is her computer and how much space does she 'ave left on it? Warrior could very well 'ave the solution.