Author Topic: What do you think of people who do/dont use mass markings?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
Whenever I'm creating a character I'm stuck with the difficult choice of what markings to use, and always in the back of my mind I begin thinking. If I use normal markings do people doubt my literacy? I know this shouldn't be connected, but people have often been associating the normal markings for those who have just recently joined or are younger. I wont let it effect what I choose my characters to look like, I'm just curious about what other people think about those who use just mass markings, just normal markings, or a mix for their character? Do people really think about it, or see it as a sign of noobishness or literacy?

Also, what do you think about people/characters without markings?

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of people who do/dont use mass markings?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08:12 pm »
To be honest, and it probably sounds rude, but people do see it as just that sometimes. Especially when they talk about a certain character looks and they expect it to be 'realistic' and that it isn't real.
Floofs alike are free to design their character as they see fit. Just because some use mass markings and others prefer the default markings ( all for the sake of their character not looking like a marshmallow ) is their choice alone. No one should make the comparisons and ridicule them, but it happens sadly.

As for me, I like to mix it up. Sometimes I just make a character out of random and people seem to like it and such. I try to use markings that normally, no one else uses on a daily basis because it's different and it gives me a bit of a challenge persay.
Feel free to create your character, express your ideas whether it be using Mass Markings / Default. Shouldn't really matter. I don't see the harm in it, gives me something interesting to look at c;

Nice Topic ~!

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline BradiBytes

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • lmao dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »
Hakumi basically took the words from my mouth, haha.

I have never once thought of not having mass markings as noobishness or not being literate. I do know some people feel that way, but I find that pathetic. Some people just like the original markings, some like just mass markings, or some (like me) use a mix, like you said.
I think that if you like the character you have, no matter what you used or how it looks, don't let others turn you down for it.
Same goes for charries without markings at all. It doesn't determine your literacy, or really anything at all.
But yes, nice topic, floof.

Sig - Seanixx || Avatar - Me

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:11:59 pm »
To be perfectly honest, I have the same thoughts sometimes as well. I feel like if I use normal markings some people will think I'm less experienced with the game or something. I don't think this about other people, though. I just always worry about myself and what others would think of me. However, I do tend to use default markings for some of my main characters like Negative, since I want more people to be able to see her and not just as a marshmallow. When it comes to characters in roleplays where you have to download certain things to join I usually use mass markings. I feel like if you can download a map, you can download markings, so more people would probably be able to see my character in a mapped roleplay compared to me just sitting out in Bonfire.

When it comes to other people's characters, I don't think about if they're using mass markings or not, I just see a pretty character with nice colors and such and think its pretty, not really thinking about items or mass markings or anything. So maybe I'm just worrying too much, since I don't often hear anyone judging someone else based on what markings they have, and I don't judge based on that myself.

Personally, I use whatever markings fit the character, or I use normal/mass depending on the situation. Sometimes a mixture, sometimes default, sometimes mass markings. I just think it doesn't really matter what markings you use as long as you're satisfied and happy with that character.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:27:42 pm »
Well, everyone is writing novels above me, but I have quite a simple opinion on this topic xD:

Just do what you want.

After all, it comes down to your character and what you like/enjoy about them, so really, no one else should have a say in it, considering it is your character and your's alone. Mass Markings, although not official to the game, give a player more options to make their character unique and I see nothing wrong about them. And neither do I see the official game markings as "noobish" or "illiterate" as they're all beautifully made markings anyways.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:37:17 am »
In all honest people who DON'T use mass markings never have and never will bother me.
I don't use mass markings for all of my characters, in fact I use them to allow people who don't have any mass marking packs to see what my character looks like. I just find it's a lot easier - and non-mass markings can be used just as creatively for character-making like mass markings can.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:08:14 am »
I think it is perfectly ok if they don't use mass markings. I mean it's their character, so they can design it how ever they like. For me i sometimes use the mass markings, but sometimes I just let my character be without markings. I don't use mass markings a lot because people may not have it. But it doesn't matter if they have it or not, there character will not be judged and they can freely design it the way they want.

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:20:02 am »
I actually used to think the same things. But I have no problem with people not using Mass Markings. I mean, how do we know that they just can't get them? That would be rather unfair to judge them for that.

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »
Nearly half (if not all) of the characters on my separate accounts had the default markings, although I had MM downloaded. I've never thought someone to not have them as less 'literate'. The defaults are provided for the same reason as the MMs are. To have a way of making your character unique.

Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Aclediptus

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • Where are the Almond Doughnuts
    • aclediptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 01:57:15 pm »
As the previous posts have mentioned, it is true that if one was to use the default markings, one's character could be seen by anyone. I do relate with the thoughts of looking like 'fresh meat' walking around with default markings, but it hasn't concerned me all too much. The Mass Markings pack isn't as accessible and would sometimes be considered a necessity in certain groups, so it would seem reasonable that the defaults would represent noobishness to certain people. But if it is a character of one's own, why would one be concerned? The usage of markings, colors, and the basis of everything related to art is all built around one's own preferences. As Kynvuu has simply put it:
Just do what you want.
It's all creative freedom, there are no restrictions.

Personally, I use a mix of both options, I'm satisfied with a character's appearance as I see fit. If somebody thinks I'm this or I'm that, heck, it's their own thoughts. Though I'm honestly a judgemental nitpicker (who scrutinises a lot :u) but no matter how choppy, cluttered, or colored a character might be, everyone's appearance is to how they prefer it and should not be the basis of their position in the unnecessary hierarchy of literacy.

Currently retired floof

Find me on discord: Aclediptus#7160