Author Topic: How do you help people?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Senrova

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 62
  • wootwoot
    • SwiftySwoo
    • View Profile
How do you help people?
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:11:07 pm »
I just read through the rules of this discussion board and I'm not sure if this is too personal or anything...

But when a friend comes to you feeling down about something, how do you help them? What do you say?

I never know what to do or say when people go around saying their depressed or something. It's like feeling powerless and maybe awkward? Pfft, I dunno XD
(I posted a status on dA about this if you wanna check it out? https://swiftyswoo.deviantart.com/status/10736173)

Signature by LuCiiPeR via dA ;D

Please check out my deviantArt: http://swiftyswoo.deviantart.com/

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: How do you help people?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:09:12 pm »
It's sometimes quite difficult to help out a down friend, especially if you don't exactly know how to handle things. I tend to sometimes be quite awkward in situations such as this, but I just try my best to be there for them and cheer them up with things they like. ^^

Offline Senrova

• Community Champion
  • wootwoot
    • SwiftySwoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:43:36 am »
It's sometimes quite difficult to help out a down friend, especially if you don't exactly know how to handle things. I tend to sometimes be quite awkward in situations such as this, but I just try my best to be there for them and cheer them up with things they like. ^^
I can't believe I didn't know it was that simple o~o

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:22:24 am »
On the internet i find keeping them distracted works.  Sometimes i give examples of "Person 'X' i know once had that situation and managed to overcome via a mixture of 'methods' " but this sometimes makes them mad as they weren't looking for someone with answers.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Lucius

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:08:51 pm »
I find myself quite inept in these situations. Whoever would rely on me for emotional support will find themselves sorely disappointed, as I tend to be much more rational instead of emotional. I can understand why a person feels a certain way, but I can't actually be angry or sad with (or for) them, because their situation does not affect mine.

When someone comes to me for support, I usually see a problem and look for a solution, I poke and I prod and all in all, it's because I want to understand the human condition. I'll ask questions like "What led you to feel this way" and this is not usually something a person wants to talk about when upset. Most of the time, they want someone to just be there with them and agree.

Sometimes i give examples of "Person 'X' i know once had that situation and managed to overcome via a mixture of 'methods' " but this sometimes makes them mad as they weren't looking for someone with answers.

Kuri summed it up nicely. People need time to work through emotions by themselves before they become receptive to advice and help. At least, that's what I usually noticed.

Offline Senrova

• Community Champion
  • wootwoot
    • SwiftySwoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »
Ay,  I see what you two mean. I'll keep that in mind.