Author Topic: How is that Powerplay?  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
How is that Powerplay?
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »
Why is it that some people assume that unrealistic characters, such as demons, angels, dragons, vampire, withces, etc. are all powerplayers or godmodders? I know that some people use the story of, "Oh I'm an immortal creature, therefore I cannot die or be killed by a mere mortal like you!" But that doesn't mean that they play unfairly.
Earlier this week someone accused me of being a powerplayer all because my character, the unicorn fox, impaled them with her horn because they attacked her. It went something like this...

--*Names were made up--
Cougarleap M: -The tom pounced at the white fox and pinned her-
Amalthea fox: -She let out a yelp as the cat attacked her. She felt her horn impale through his body. "Oh no!" she gasped.
Cougarleap M: Horn! What horn? That's powerplaying!))
Amalthea fox: I'm not powerplaying. You jumped on me and just impaled yourself.))
Silverfur F: Goddmodder!!!)
Amalthea fox: No it isn't. It's not like the impact killed him. It just injured him. Besides, I could heal his injury with enchanments.))
Cougarleap: o_o Oh))
Silverfur: Lets just get out of here. This is a realistic roleplay not a fantasy))

And that's what happened. Is it my fault that they didn't bother to read my character's bio? If they would have, they would have known what they were dealing with. They would have known that this character is immortal, but NOT invincible (she can be injured or killed) But oh no! They automatically accuse me of being a powerplayer all because my character is a supernatural animal.
I've seen it happen to other players who play as supernatural creatures. They were playing fairly with others, but then they get accused of being powerplayers when a realistic animal goes up to them and tries to insta-kill them. It's only considered powerplaying when someone plays unfairly, tries to insta-kill your character, ignores your attack, etc. It really all depends on what the character is.

Have you ever played as a dragon, vampire, werewolf, griffon, etc, and ever considered a powerplayer or a godmodder for whatever reason?
Inactive

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Re: How is that Powerplay?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »
This has actually happened to me before many times when I'm lurking around on my character Starrk. You see, he's not a regular canine that wears a skull. He's a Creux. So there has been times when I try to attempt to interact with other players through roleplay, that they'll label me either as a powerplayer due to Starrk's species or a filthy wolfspeaker.

Though, what's beyond me is why individuals will try to attack you or another player as such without knowing diddly squat about them. Though, in my honest opinion, power-playing is quite similar to god-modding. Or so I've been taught.
To me, power-playing is when someone either uses supernatural abilities unfairly or when they do an auto-hit. God-modding being when an individual claims they're immortal such as they can heal effortlessly, block all attacks, kill with one hit, etc. Though that's my opinion on the matter. I call those who use any supernatural ability at all, but use them fairly and not just because they wish to be the most powerful thing in FeralHeart, power-users. Not power-players. There's a difference.

As with your problem, I find the attacker whom attacked you another nub trying to pick a useless fight. Even though there was some auto-hitting in there, I'll set that aside as the individual wasn't wise in suddenly attacking you like that. You impaling him with your horn isn't power-playing, to a degree, at all. It's just another structure of your anatomy, nothing like sudden blasts of death bombs coming out of your horn and destroying the world or anything. The attackers overreacted, simply put, but most of the time when something similar to what happened to you happens to me, I merely ignore the nubs or taunt them until they get confused.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:51:35 pm by Starrk »
gone

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:51:30 pm »
Never had this happen to me. I usually stick to my coyote. But I have seen it happen before. Quite alot. I was in Flourite sitting in a cave with some people. One of which was a demon. He got into a fight with one of the other wolves. The person who was the demon fought just like a normal animal. It used no powers or anything. He ended up winning the fight. The other wolf started raging about him powerplaying. Seeing how the fight went, knowing he in fact did not powerplay, took his side. Then the other wolf caps raged about how he was gonna report us for being powerplayers and bullies. Seems Legit.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »

Cougarleap M: -The tom pounced at the white fox and pinned her-

Amalthea fox: -She let out a yelp as the cat attacked her. She felt her horn impale through his body. "Oh no!" she gasped.

Really sorry for pointing this out, but--

Both of these are powerplaying emotes, though. Neither of you let the other character decide the outcome; she decided you were pinned and you decided she was impaled. You should really allow the other player to write what injuries their own characters attains; the cougar has all right to be upset with your reply, just as you've all right to be upset by her emote-- and ignorance. I think she was accusing of powerplaying... Because you were powerplaying (as was she). She seemed perfectly accepting of the horn to me.  :(

Don't get me wrong-- I've seen the issue arise before and it's beyond the boundaries of daft! It's really generalising a group of specific roleplayers-- akin to the "all Warrior Cats are illiterates" I've seen posed in general. Daily. Inconsiderate (or inexperienced) roleplayers powerplay-- not demons/angles and such. I get heckled on my gryphon character quite a lot. Luckily, it lets you know exactly who to block and avoid. :D

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:56 pm »
Don't think it was fair of you to say that the cat landed on your horn, but I would have done the same had someone just landed on me for no reason and claim I am pinned. Just to annoy them back.

I would have just called them out, make them change their post or just void it altogether.

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »
Maybe they had landed on the horn when they jumped on them?

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »
Aye, Nemena did point out both of those examples as having mild points of "power-play," although they could be very easily fixed with some re-wording.

While Cougarleap could have easily re-worded their post by saying "Bunching his muscles, the tom pounced toward the white fox, attempting to pin her to the ground," (which would have been the nicer thing to say, since no one has perfect aim), your post could have been equally effective if you'd said,
"The vixen yelped as she felt her attacker try to pin her. 'Oh, no!' she gasped as the weight slowly fell down onto her, her horn poised to impale him as he fell, seemingly unaware of its presence."

Or something like that, anyway.. That's how it wouldn't gone in a perfect world, anyway, lol. xD Although, you are right, it would have helped a lot if that floof had read your bio. c:> Or asked your permission before he attacked, or really anything like that. It is very likely they would have landed on Amalthea's horn, but in general I think it's safest to be very assured that you're giving them every chance to escape before they get their tail burnt for pouncing on you. ^^"

(Also. A kitty attacking a fox. Reminds me of another one of your posts. ::))
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:16:26 pm »
Yeah, honestly I think they were in the right by impaling him. READ BIOS PEOPLE.

Offline duna the killer

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • Vacationing 28th - 4th, You all are amazing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »
Oh this has happened to me so many times. But my opinion on this was the warrior cats were trying to defend their territory, in rp. I don't consider it powerplay,  the warrior cat just so happened to become impaled by her horn. It isn't powerplay, just coincedence. He could have pinned her without being impaled. I don't blame Ally or the WCs, there is nothing wrong with being creative.
(Here is what happened to me, names are made up except for mine)
<Halo FAllosaur(Me)> She grumbles as she scans the island for prey. (Made the dumbest mistake of rping in BI)
<Erin M Wolf> Get out of my territory NOW!!! -bites the Fallosaurs neck-
<Halo FAllosaur> She roared in pain. She swung her massive head and attempted to pick him up and throw him into some plants.
<Erin M Wolf> POWERPLAYER!!!
<Halo FAllosaur> I can throw you, I am like 7x bigger than you
<Erin M Wolf> NO YOU ARE ONLY A FEW INCHES BIGGER THAN ME!!!
<Halo FAllosaur> That is because FH has a size limit
~A few minutes later my block list increased by 1

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 04:43:11 am »
Really sorry for pointing this out, but--

Both of these are powerplaying emotes, though. Neither of you let the other character decide the outcome; she decided you were pinned and you decided she was impaled. You should really allow the other player to write what injuries their own characters attains; the cougar has all right to be upset with your reply, just as you've all right to be upset by her emote-- and ignorance. I think she was accusing of powerplaying... Because you were powerplaying (as was she). She seemed perfectly accepting of the horn to me.  :(

Don't get me wrong-- I've seen the issue arise before and it's beyond the boundaries of daft! It's really generalising a group of specific roleplayers-- akin to the "all Warrior Cats are illiterates" I've seen posed in general. Daily. Inconsiderate (or inexperienced) roleplayers powerplay-- not demons/angles and such. I get heckled on my gryphon character quite a lot. Luckily, it lets you know exactly who to block and avoid. :D

.... Okay. Can you explain to me how Couagarleap pinning me down was powerplaying? That didn't seem like powerplaying... to me at least. If he would have said -He pounced on the fox and dug his claws into her flesh, tearing skin off.- or -He jumped on the fox and clawed both her eyes out- I would have considered that powerplaying. I've seen so many people do the "pins him/her down" thing that it seems like a completely normal non-roleplay line to throw out there. ((Unless of course the person doing the pinning is a cub/pup trying to pin down a full grown animal of some kind, then that would technically be powerplaying))

One of the bigger points I'm trying to throw out there is why some people view supernatural characters as being powerplayers. I've met some who can play fair with others. My character may be a magical unicorn fox, but she that does not mean she is invincilbe and all-powerful. She has her flaws like any other animal. She has a limit on magic. Whenever she heals someone, she loses energy and gets weaker. Mortal animal characters have come close to killing her before. She is not some all-powerful creature that can blast rainbow lazors from her horn or anything, cuz that's just silly.

But hey, don't think I'm not taking your advice here. I'll listen to anyone's opinions to help me improve my roleplaying skills. I'm not the best roleplayer in the world, after all.
Inactive