Author Topic: [SOLVED!] Hello! I'm having map issues.  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Weylenn

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
[SOLVED!] Hello! I'm having map issues.
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:10 pm »
 Hello! I made a lovely looking heightmap, and I thought to myself, wow, I should make a map out of this!

So, I gave the file the proper name format, [mapname]Terrain.png. Makes sense that it would work, right? Well, no! It crashed. I made sure there weren't any transparent pixels, but still, it crashes. :(

http://i.gyazo.com/420478c15c3130422ded05b2ea5831f5.png Is there anything about it that would make the game crash or something? Please help! I just want to be able to sit in a private map with a friend.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:10:26 am by Weylenn »

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Hello! I'm having map issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:42:48 pm »
Check over this:

Okay so i understand a load of people have been getting these issues, so I made a sticky so the threads wont keep appearing with the same problem.

*Small Directory*
This is just so you don't have to read through everything incase you know you have already tried to fix some issues
Common Issues
~Heightmap makes the client crash
~Crash even if you've not started
~Missing Terrain/Temp File
~Solution #1 did not work

//1) Heightmap makes your client crash.

These are the most common issues:
1-Your image isn't greyscale
2-Your image isn't square
3-It is not in the right place
4-You made more than one layer

1- when you edit in GIMP or Photoshop you HAVE to make sure it's greyscale. Not just all grey, but the file is actually a greyscale image.

2- BE SURE the dimensions are 512x512 or something similar.The Height and Width MUST be the same.
**Note. Does not HAVE to be 512x512; this is the most common, but as long as its square then it will work.

3- You have to be sure you placed it in the right folder. The handbook says to place your HM in the 'height maps' folder, but this folder was removed while the game was being developed. People say you can place it in the 'terrains' folder, but I myself place it in my map folder.

4- This is very common. You have to make your terrain on one and only one layer. You cannot create another layer over it, or even paste another layer. Even flattening the image when you save it does not fix it. Note that if you made yours with more than one layer, deleting the layers won't fix it. You have to 'undo' or start over.

This is recommended by Kov to avoid any issue, and I think it's in the handbook as well. Edit one of the existing terrain height maps (i.e. watermillterrain.PNG) and save it in either the terrains folder or your map folder. Be sure to only edit the one layer and not make new layers.

**Note: IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, see Issue #4!

--------------

//2) Crash even if you've not started
This is an unusual problem; i think it may have something to do with a bad download. Anyway one user posted the sollution, and it seemed to fix the problem, though i havn't confirmed it myself, it may still work for you.

Delete everything from FH and reinstall the game, simple.

--------------

//3) Missing Terrain/Temp file
An error saying there's a terrain/temp file missing.
Found a solution after dealing with this annoying problem. It should be a permanent fix. Just download this file from Mediafire and drop the media folder (Not the one that says 'FeralHearts Mapmaker Fix!') inside into your main FeralHearts folder, it'll go where it's supposed to, and it doesn't overwrite anything. Say yes if it asks you if you wanna merge the media folder.

[/insert geeky tech info on how she did it]
I looked at the error message, and copied a material file from one of the presets. I renamed it to tempTerrain.material and stuck it in a folder I made at FeralHearts>media>terrains called "temp." The first time I started the map maker, the material file fixed itself and put in the right code and two other files it needed. Go figure. /shrug

Thanks, Rukata

--------------

//4) Solution #1 did not work.
If you try to load a heightmap that keeps crashing the game even though you know you got all required preferences for it such as size, grayscale, 1 layers etc. Try converting it into either a .bmp or .jpeg image, save it. Load the new saved image, and convert it back to .png. This solves the issue in some cases and force the image into one layer.

I hope this helps all of you with these issues. PLEASE read carefully and check everything conscientiously before posting a thread saying it didnt work. If you have found any other sollutions please contact me so I can post it here.

-Delay
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:44:20 pm by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline SnappleApple

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • An inkling irl
    • SnappleZeApple
    • cherry-gore
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! I'm having map issues.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:44 pm »
I think you went a little Overboard with this, floof.
Did you set it in Grayscale, Make it 513 x 513?
If so, try renaming it. Yes, I am serious.
Hope this helps.
~Snapple
Find me In-Game as CandyGore/ Thunderbirds!

Offline Weylenn

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED!] Hello! I'm having map issues.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:11:38 am »
The greyscale issue is what it was! Thank you!

Offline SnappleApple

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • An inkling irl
    • SnappleZeApple
    • cherry-gore
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED!] Hello! I'm having map issues.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:25:17 am »
The greyscale issue is what it was! Thank you!
<3 No problem, floof! Also I thank Star for posting before me xD
Find me In-Game as CandyGore/ Thunderbirds!