Author Topic: The MateCenter Stereotype  (Read 2866 times)

Offline .Lynx.

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
The MateCenter Stereotype
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:13 am »
So a few weeks ago I was playing FeralHeart, and I saw all these MateCenters around. I didn't like them much, so I made my own called Lit MateCenter, where people were required to give roleplay samples when in the middle. This was so that if somebody wanted to find someone to roleplay with then they could, and find people who were equal with their current level of how well they rp. We had a group to prevent chat flooding and spam. This Center was for literate people but also illiterates who were too shy to get a partner in roleplay, and then they could both plan ahead with how their characters meet each other in the rp and such. (example, the couple meets each other when young, grows up together) To further prevent advertisement spam, we even advertised in video clips so that if people simply did not want it, then they could just uncheck it in the chat. We did not tolerate those who acted inappropriately, and though none did, we would have both kicked them from the group and blocked them.

I wanted a more organized version of the current Center, but it seemed to be a far more difficult task than I thought.
One person was nice, and I respect that, but quite a few people had caused a wave of hate to wash over me, only because of my name. I don't know what I did to deserve it, but here's what happened.

Person1: You realize that people who actually care about rping don't come to mate centers in the first place.
Person1: They're obnoxious and stupid.
Me: Well some might, some people might be too shy to ask someone.
Person1: Most people aren't going to go over there because they don't want to go mate begging in the first place.
Me: Well it's easier than asking, and people are going to pick others because of how well they rp, not their looks.
Me: That's why i'm including an rp sample.
Person1: I'm not going to try and explain why it's not going to work, i'm just suggesting for the good of everyone, and what everyone else thinks, stop making Mate Centers.
Me: This is the only and first Mate Center i've made.
Me: I wanted a change in Mate Centers so I decided to make a better one.
Person1: They're awful. Don't make them.
Person1: Regardless of what they're based around.
Me: Why? What's wrong with them? As long as everyone is treated fairly and nobody goes against the FH rules, then it's fine with me.
Me: I'm going to make a group, too, so MateCenter spam won't be there for everyone to hear.
Person1: Issue #1: People cluster to them. Thats why Bonfire has been nicknamed "Lagfire", because people cluster and make a giant ball of fps lag that we can't look at. Issue #2: Other than your group idea, people spam chat, simply flooding it with caps nonsense.
Me: I don't have any lag issues at all. If you do, then you should get a better computer. And i'm a lit Mate Center, so i'm not going to spam in caps for advertising.
Person1: Look, i'm done arguing with you. And it's really rude to say "well get a better computer because you lag at something that is caused by the game, not their specs".
Me: I didn't do anything wrong, I don't know why you are doing this. I'm sorry If I ever offended you, i'm just trying to make a change to these Centers so they can be better one day.
Person1: They only change they need is extinction.
Person1: Five year FH veteran. They won't change.
Me: Another way to get rid of lag is to block everyone in the mate centers temporarily.
Person1: I've blocked 300~ in FH MC's alone. It gets old and pointless when I can just look away from them.
Me: Well, i'm not the one to help you. Why not just complain to the other Mate Center over there? That's the one that's causing all the trouble, not me.
Person1: I told you I was done arguing. That's enough.
Me: I'm not arguing, if you don't want to argue, then don't comment.
Person1: You're the one who keeps replying.
Me: Why are you doing this? I'm not doing anything to you.

Then, later, I heard someone talk in local about my Center, wondering what the difference was between a lit MateCenter and a regular one. I replied the following in whisper.

Me: People give rp samples when in middle, and we have a group to prevent chat flooding.

After awhile the person replied.

Person2: From my experience that would be a "Rp Center"
Me: Sort of, but no one would get a partner out of it.
Person2: ....Don't literates find partners in their rps...?
Person2: Idk that's how every experienced rper i've met does it.
Me: Well some may be too shy.
Person2: I'm just saying your name is going to drive a lot of literate people off.
Me: Do you have any other ideas?
Person2: Ah...Anything OTHER than "mate center"
Me: PartnerCenter might work, but it's a bit long.
Person2: ...
Me: I don't know though.
Person2: You're missing the point. Most literates that hang out over in the "Literate" section of bonfire are going to block anything related to "mates"
Person2: Because that seems like a bunch of desperate folk trying to get some tail.
Person2: It just carries a stigma.
Me: But this isn't one. :(
Person2: But your name says it is.
Person2: Mate Centers just have that stigma.
Me: I don't know what to replace it with though.
Person2: Just no Centers...
Person2: Center= something for the desperate.
Me: I was thinking of MeatCenter, because i'm a WQ fan. xD But that just sounds kind of cheesy.
Me: So no Center then?
Me: Would lit MateFinder work better?
Person2: No "Mate"
Me: Is there any synonyms for the two?
Person2: ...Yes there IS but that defeats the what i'm saying.
Person2: ANYTHING
Person2: Related to Mate Center is NOT going to attract literates.
Person2: The idea is to find an rp.
Person2: It's not for dating or "mates" or whatever you wanna call it.
Me: That's not what i'm here for.
Person2: But your name implies exactly that.
Me: Jeeze ever since I made this charrie i've gotten a wave of hate. All i'm trying to do is make a change to make them better.
Me: I don't even have a neon charrie.
Person2: Doesn't matter what the MC looks like. MC lag, chatspam, and just are all over not what the game is for.
Person2: I'm just trying to alert you to that.
Person2: I'm not trying to be nasty.
Me: I made a group to prevent that.
Person2: But the name still draws stigma.
Me: But if I change MateCenters to be better there won't be any stigma.
Person2: Exactly. Make something new.
Me: .-. Brb, searching synonyms on google.

....2 mins later....

Me: how does Lit Matchfinder do?
Me: Sounds a little out there but it could work.
Person2: It's the same name.
Person2: The ISSUE is the "match finder" aspect.
Person2: Literates don't go to centers to find "mates"
Person2: Ever. If they do they're probably shunned by the others.
Me: But some may be too shy, some may want a quicker resolve. Some want to plan ahead their charries get-together in rp.
Me: There actually was a few literates who joined, too.
Person2: I am thoroughly shocked.

Have I done anything wrong? :/ I haven't played FeralHeart in the pass few weeks because of this, and i'm a fairly new player, too. I worry about the blocking thing. If half of the people of Bonfire really did block me, then i'm probably missing out in a lot of rps.

Here is some proof of what happened.

http://imgur.com/kzk6pvp

http://imgur.com/fCgKWIU

http://imgur.com/AaNyVv9

http://imgur.com/w0ptcjh

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:16:59 am by Lynx »

Offline Zophrenia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
Re: The MateCenter Stereotype
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:54:07 am »
Wow, Thats just utterly rude.

I can understand the hate and dislike for the centers but people personally going out of their way to talk you down like that is just aweful. Especially the "5 year veteran".
I myself have been around since the start of this game, and it shocks me to see someone act like that, especially someone whos been around just as long as i have.

The idea of trying to better the mate centers seems like a good idea to me and i say keep at it if you feel up to it! You're helping others find rp partners and thats all there is to it, a good deed.
Don't let them get you down and worry not of people blocking you. I highly doubt even half of them would block you. Maybe 1 out of every 20 players might.

And so what? You can still go to the Tunnels or Fluorite plains and rp there.

<3 Best of luck.

Offline AssemblerOfSouls

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:39 am »
They're upset for reasons they think they understand. They don't realize what you're trying to do, which, to me, sounds like a great idea. Once I get my character up and running (I've only got a name down, so far), I'd definitely feel more welcome in a LMC than a regular MC (god, those things are barbaric, they're only slightly amusing when the MC host is shouting "WHO WANT SEXY M/F?!??" as if they were hotcakes).

From what I'm reading, it sounds like you're trying to make the matchmaking process more civil or professional. A place where a person's character isn't treated like an object and everyone's given a fair chance to put their best foot paw forward, so to speak. People don't have to pair as mates, but it would be something to consider since it's generally a "mate finder" kind of Center. Again, it sound a lot more welcoming, and as long as it stays that way, newcomers (like me) will always have a safe environment to make new friends and RP buddies (while possibly fetching a potential mate for their OC).

If you're worried about the whole "MC stigma" nonsense, sometimes it's better not to listen to them. If you want to make a difference, keep that foot down and don't let people boss you around. You made it clear that you're trying to help, and if they don't like it, they can bugger off.

If you ever need assistance with your LMC and I happen to be around, send me a whisper. :D
Call me Jen, Soul, or Anza. ;D

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:20:36 am »
Ugh... Seeing what they said to you made me a little mad, to be honest. I don't think you did anything wrong in fact. It's really nice you listened to them, though, and I think your idea was great. In fact if I were online I might've thought of going there if I had a character. So when the second person said "literates don't go to mate centers" take in mind that is /completely/ wrong.

It just seems like their enforcing their opinion on you and /trying/ to change your idea completely to something /they/ like and not you. This is a reason I think you should just try to ignore them, 'cause honestly that's not right... ewe'

I'd even go as far as say they were acting a little bit like a bully to you, even if they seemed respectful sometimes I'd say they weren't.

Sorry if I seem too harsh or anything of that sort, but I really disagree with the people who have whispered you... I think you were being creative sorta, and they just stomped all over that.

Plus number two seems to remind me of someone who was a bully to me and my own friends sorta like that, so I guess I can kinda sympathize/empathize.

Offline .Lynx.

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:09:15 am »
I guess I've just been a bit paranoid. I could try to re-open the center, but it was difficult anyway, I was never a good leader.

I hadn't visited Fluorite much, it's so huge that I haven't bothered to explore it, but I suppose I could try rping in Ficho more.  I like Bonfire because it's easier to get around, you won't get lost and it and I like the trees and green landscape. Ficho is cool but I don't like going down that waterfall because then I'm stuck there.

Yep, I was trying to make it welcoming, and If I ever do decide to open it again someday, then i'll try to whisper you, Assembler! I suppose they might have misunderstood my intentions, but oh well, mistakes happen.

If this happens again then i'll take all of your advice and ignore them. Thanks!

Offline AssemblerOfSouls

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:40 am »
Good on ya, buddy! ;D Ficho might be a good place to lead the LMC if people try harassing y'all.

If you ever wanna hang out, I'm usually hanging up somewhere near the den on bonfire, watching people be silly or weird. Occasionally, I chill down below, but that's to watch the chaos of MC gatherings, lol.
Call me Jen, Soul, or Anza. ;D

Offline .Lynx.

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 07:33:11 am »
I'm sure that map would be a good idea! Ficho usually doesn't have much roleplaying going on in it compared to Bonfire from what i've seen, so if there is a big crowd around the center then I doubt many people will mind if it causes lag.

I enjoy the bonfire cave too, the Lion and Savannah rps up there are interesting. I'll be sure to say hello when I see you!

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:08:44 am »
I honestly think you wasted your time trying to explain yourself to those two, especially the first person. It seems they were not really interested in your idea, and just wanted to waste your time by bashing your idea and throwing insults. They probably didn't care, they just wanted to throw insults instead of giving suggestions. Person 2 actually gave some points, but the way they steered the conversation was just negative. I have a feeling I know who these people were, and I think you should have blocked them right off the bat instead of dealing with their rudeness.

It's a real bummer of the type of stigma that floats around Mate Centers, but I actually like the idea you came up with when it comes to your Mate Center. All I have to say is don't let the nay sayers get you down, and continue with this idea of yours. Some people may enjoy it and find good roleplay partners out of it, while others are probably going to bicker and whine about it because it's a "desperate mate-beggers chance at finding a 1 day mate", as some call it.
Inactive

Offline Delija

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Life is looking up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 10:48:36 pm »
Ah man... I'm sorry that happened to you. And that person was being terrible and it hurts me to see people in this community being so rude. Personally like that way you were going with the literate mate center idea, gives people a chance that want to see if they can have a little bit of fun with literacy and find someone who can keep up with there level of rping a chance.

But on the point of that person being rude, they had no right to open there mouths. You were in the right with what your doing. FH is a place, I believe to let your creativity leak out a little bit and see what you can do. Not sit around and spam silly things, so if your going to try and find a "mate" then you were definitely going about it in the right way.
Signature by Adelish

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:38:52 am »
I was incredibly unnecessary for them to go toe-to-toe with you and try to tell them what you "should" be doing. "5 year FH veteran" doesn't cut it. It doesn't make you automatically right and special. Besides, this game has only been out for 4 years, so I call BS on that one. lmfao

What these two people said to you honestly gives me second-hand embarrassment. It's extremely funny how they assume that you are chatspamming when you said that your center was group based and advertise in clips. They should step down for a while and stop trying to act like the most smartest person in the game, because what they are doing is not helping in their cause. Plus, it's humiliating for them. If they were actually smart and literate, then they would look down on this behavior.

Not everyone can find a mate through rp the "literate" way, so this idea you have is helpful. I'd say ignore hate and do something that is actually unique to the game, no matter if it has a basic idea of a mate center. If you want to, you can block harsh adversaries.