Author Topic: Preset Contouring  (Read 4712 times)

Offline TullileIsHere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • plonke
    • View Profile
Preset Contouring
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:47:35 pm »
Some of you may be familiar with the term "contouring" when it comes to drawing, sculpting, or even doing makeup. When it comes to drawing/doing makeup, it basically means adding shades to outline specific details. It can even be used while making presets, which is what I'll be showing you how to do in this tutorial.
(NOTE: This is for people who already have the basics of preset-making down.)

1. Begin with a preset (It can be colored or not; it wouldn't really matter either way.):

2. Make a new layer for your shading (it can be above or below the fur texture, just as long as it isn't below the actual colors). Using a brush with low opacity and a color that stands out compared to the rest of your preset (ex: red), color the following areas:

3. Lock the layer and color it all grey:

4. Unlock the layer, set the mode to "multiply", and then blur/blend around the edges of it. It should now look similar to this:

5. Create a new layer over the shades one and draw out the following:

6. Repeat the steps from before; then merge the new layer to the other shades one (this just saves space).

7. To add even more depth to your preset, outline the cheekbone and around the muzzle like so:

8. After repeating the same steps from before, your preset should now look like this:

I hope that this was helpful to my fellow preset-makers, and will come in handy in the future.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Contouring
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »
Oooh, this will definitely come in rather handy, thank you for this!
A good ol' nuzzle for you. <3

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Preach

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:53:15 pm »
Even though i don't know what this would necessarily do, I definitely do know this would come handy and helps others greatly! Thanks for sharing! ^^

Offline TullileIsHere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • plonke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:58:54 pm »
Even though i don't know what this would necessarily do, I definitely do know this would come handy and helps others greatly! Thanks for sharing! ^^
It basically just adds "depth" to your preset by shading and makes it a little more interesting.

Echoing harmony

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing this Tullie It gives more depth to your preset and certainly catches the eye.  :)

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »
This is a very unique way to add to presets! Nice job c:
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:53:51 pm »
Very interesting! I know this will definitely be helpful to those who are discovering new ways to add more depth to their character's preset. I've heard that some contouring can be rather tricky to figure out, but your tutorial makes it very clear and easy to follow. Good work! c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.