Author Topic: Wolves in Norway  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Avani

• Slytherin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 241
    • View Profile
Wolves in Norway
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:20 pm »
Greetings, fellow members of FeralHeart!

I would like to hear your opinion on an ongoing situation in my country.
We have less than 70 wolves in Norway, yet there has lately been a lot of debate
regarding them. The government planned on killing two-thirds of the population, which
is a terrible thing to even consider in the first place. I have never been so ashamed of my country.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/16/norway-wolf-cull-government-wwf-friends-earth-environment-protest

Luckily, the number of 47 wolves planning to be shot was reduced to 15. Though I still see no reason to shoot them.
Wolves belong to the Norwegian nature, they always have. They are an important part of the biodiversity and their presence in our nature has great value. Slaughtering these beautiful creatures would be among the biggest disgraces yet. 

www.thelocal.no/20161220/norway-reverses-course-on-wolf-slaughter

I fail to see how these wolves are a threat to us. They do not see us as prey and will generally stay hidden from us.
Few humans are attacked by wolves and they are not as dangerous as some people try to make them sound.
Hunters and farmers are of course the most anti-wolf people we have, they keep this debate going.
Wolves are constantly accused of killing all their sheep, though only 367 sheep were reported to actually be harmed by wolves last year. The majority die of many other causes such as sickness and drowning, yet they keep on blaming these predators. It is all about the money, I suppose.

www.express.co.uk/news/nature/753359/Norwegian-wolves-extinct-hunt-Friends-of-the-Earth-Norway

It is hard to say what will happen to our dear wolves. Hunters and farmers are quite furious
and have threatened to take this to court many times. There is a chance the majority will
be shot, but I desperately hope for the best. We already have so few wolves.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/771208/Activists-fury-Norway-Government-rushes-law-change-massacre-wolf-population

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2017/02/22/wwf-moves-to-halt-a-new-wolf-hunt/

I just cannot believe this has become a huge topic.
It is heartbreaking.

Offline CosmoFursi

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • . steal my starbucks and i'll steal your soul
    • SSFireWolf
    • channel/UC4pX64nRbfEuRcBaNlVxlJw
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Wolves in Norway
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:20:40 pm »
oh dear stars save the wolves ;-;

seriously, though. i hope they don't go through with this. it's not right.

one of the many reasons i hate humanity, but that's just me.

but still, i really hope they don't go through with this. i hate seeing animals killed for no reason (or in general to be honest).

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:50:44 pm »
It's certainly disheartening to see that a country wants to eradicate the precious lives of a species that is already both endangered and going extinct because of the environmental issues we cause. What I find that most people fail to understand is the way nature rules over mankind:  we have to kill to survive and it's instinct to try and dominate over other species to have full control. However, this doesn't mean we as humans have the right to abuse the animals that have just as much rights to live on Earth as we do; and it saddens me to know that we can be so cruel because of our insatiable lust for power and leadership in the food chain.

Farmers can complain all they like, and they won't ever stop, which is understandable because sometimes it is a very difficult situation to handle a group of predators hunting down their sheep when they already have to deal with other harmful diseases killing them off too; but the fact that they are going as far as this is just brutal and in my opinion ridiculous. If they do not want wolves in their area and killing off their sheep, then it should be their own responsibility to seclude the sheep better and build up techniques and strategies that will drive or keep the wolves out. Instead of immediately taking the choice of complete execution, farmers should take a little more care into what they can do without the harm of another species.

One day, I honestly hope nature comes back to smack humanity back into their rightful places - which, from my perspective, should not be at the top and we should be dominated by certain predators. I hope nature fights back and puts a stop to the cruelty we can bring, and I've always liked to refer to this video to remind me how grateful humanity should be over what we've been given to live with, even if it is disease or predators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVLcj-XKnM

People should be a little bit more aware of how selfish we are as a species; how we look upon ourselves like gods, when in reality it's what nature has done for us that has put us here. We suffer the consequences such as disease and other predators for a reason, for a balance in nature. Fighting back by trying to eradicate species of wolves is only going to bite us back in the backside one day- maybe even with an even more cruel predator.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:57:43 pm »
This is so saddening to hear about! As an American it always amazes me to see what other countries are dealing with.
Wolves are needed. Everything in the environment makes a difference and has a part in the food chain and everyday life. If it weren't for Wolves everything would be a mess. The animals, the species difference.

I hope there are options to make a difference, because I will be in on it. There is something like that going on in the U.S where they are voting to kill Wolves in sanctuaries and the wild in 4 states. I hope it turns out well in your favor, for Norway.
Good luck, love.<333
not active here anymore ♡

Offline OnionKnight

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Mulligan is my boi <3
    • OnionKnightly
    • View Profile
    • Deliverance
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:12 am »
Last year, the state of Washington murdered an entire pack of wolves because a rancher took his cattle to public land, right beside their den to graze. Naturally, he lost one. It became a battle between animal rights activists and ranchers, and sadly the lazy ranchers won. (Is it obvious what side I'm on yet? haha)

History repeats itself, sadly, and its the wolves who end up suffering. Humans are too prideful to look at themselves, and wonder what WE are doing wrong, so instead we blame the animals. Wolves are a natural, and valuable part of the ecosystem and in my opinion ranchers need to keep their cattle, and livestock better secure and protected. Take note from other countries and perhaps get some guard dogs. The Maremma Sheepdog LGD, the Great Pyrenees, the Kazakh shepherd, the The Komondor all dogs who are literally BRED to be raised with a herd of livestock, and protect and deter predators from hunting and killing them.

People need to think more about what THEY can do to help secure their own livestock, instead of eradicating an animal because they're quite frankly too lazy to figure out an alternative. Look at what happened to Yellowstone? Wolves HAD to be re-introduced because deer were destroying everything. Like I said, history sadly repeats itself.

Profile gif [c] TheSpookyWolf
Signature art [c] Kr00bs

Offline OnionKnight

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Mulligan is my boi <3
    • OnionKnightly
    • View Profile
    • Deliverance

Profile gif [c] TheSpookyWolf
Signature art [c] Kr00bs

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:32:09 pm »
Suggest reducing humans by 2 3rds and see what the reaction is :)  Hmm..
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"