Author Topic: Moving objects  (Read 1214 times)

Offline TheDawsonGaming

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Moving objects
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:33 am »
I had a great idea, I'm probably not the only one who though of this but I was thinking of the trees, grass, flowers, map objects like elk or other animals moved and roamed around. I don't know if that would be to laggy or not but that would be cool. I know there is mods for the trees, grass and sometimes flowers but what if the game already had that stuff in it so that will same time? I think its a great idea. Its a cool idea.

Have a great day, also thanks for making this game its amazing and i will never stop playing it!

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Moving objects
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:29:20 am »
Moving this to game opinions/ideas

Unfortunately animals can't be added due to a lack of source code :c As for the moving/swaying plants it sounds cool but it would require lots of hours of retexturing and modifying of material files (I believe, never work with material files lol so someone correct me if I'm wrong). It's simply not high on our priority list either

Still a fun idea nonetheless!
Farewell everyone<3

Lucius

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:49:11 am »
Pretty sure that I've had moving grass and leaves in my game once.

All you have to do is add "wave_xform scroll_x sine 1 .1 0 .1" after the texture to make it look like it's swaying in the wind. There was a thread on this sometime ago, and here is another one.

But not every mesh can be simulated with that code, only flat planes that rely on textures, such as leaves and grass can be manipulated like that. For the flowers, which have actual modeled stems, you'd have to rig and animate them. Same for the elk and other animal models I believe.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:53:21 am by Lucius »

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:08:46 am »
Kiki you saw that rabbit i animated!  But it could only hop about & run in circles.  Basically... the xform rotate animation code is one way to get moving grass and leaves that blow in the wind, but animals require tone of work that i don't understand yet, unless you want some that perform the same action over & over.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline BlueMuzzleFlash

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:30:30 am »
These suggestions may be achievable, but I'd consider the performance issues that material modifiers could cause when used in number.