Author Topic: Heightmap/crashing issues (Evo.2 - eating my characters!!!!!!!!!!! new post)  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
Yes I have read the *read this if you have trouble with heightmaps* thread. A dozen times. I have also made a dozen successful heightmaps.

:P That's why this is annoying. Because it might just be that my computer sucks and there's absolutely nothing I can do to fix it.

So I got some new brushes yesterday and had fun making new heightmaps. I made some heightmaps, put them into mapmaker, and they worked, but they kind of sucked. So I made two new ones today - one with the new brushes, slightly blurred, and another version of the same one super-blurred, because I didn't know how smooth I wanted it. After a certain point of smoothness the rivers start turning into divets and mountains into molehills, so I usually have two copies.

After trying to put the heightmaps in six or seven times, I finally realize "Geeze.....I did everything wrong. XD 2000x2000 res, RGB mode, .JPG files." So they are now 513x513 grayscale .PNGs. Saved into the terrains folder.

I open FH mapmaker and I can load some of the other heightmaps I have made, and can load the slightly-blurred heightmap. Sometimes. Sometimes it just crashes. Other times it crashes when I try to resize the map. Other times I get this, no matter what heightmap I have loaded.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:08:37 pm by Aedre »

Offline Jayfeather55

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 165
  • It's been 6 years?!
    • View Profile
Re: Heightmap/crashing issues lol
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:54:22 am »
Herm.. Seems like it's a graphic problem to me. Try changing you rendering system by, going to "Options" in the log-in menu. Click on the "Video" tab, and change your rendering sub-system.

Wolfsoul143

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:34 am »
Hmmmmmm....ya you might need to fix your computer O-O that's a problem I don't have an anwser for... What type of comp you have?

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:09:43 am »
*headdesk* I'm just chalk full of issues today lmao. XD

The map I just finished (and was complaining about the other day, too.........) is called Rigidity. It had the problems with its objects appearing in whatever new map I was working on. Soooo now I (gasp!) leave my mapmaker and go to run around as a logged-in character. That's becoming surprisingly rare for me. :P And none of my trees are there? It actually took me a few minutes to realize what was missing.

And now I'm just confused and want to get back to making maps that no one is ever going to see. o.o I'm also sad because my castle I've been working on is so enormously huge and detailed that it lags out on my computer.

*huff* I think I'll go to bed. And see if it will work better in the morning. Maybe computer needs a nap?

Annnnd I see people have replied aready. If I were to change my rendering system...what would I be changing it to. XD I get a "Which of these programs would you like to use to run FH (Auto-select OGRE program)" message whenever I go to open FH again after it crashes.

And lawl I have a 2002 windows XP (laptop) with -less- than a gig of RAM. I plan to upgrade to an 8gig RAM laptop before the next school year starts but....You know what they say of the best laid plans... :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:12:25 am by Aedre »

Wolfsoul143

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:13:47 am »
How to solve the "appearing objects glitch" (I have had this problem befor)

When you make your map and have the terrain and mask on. Get a random object and put it on the map then export it. Everything should go back to normal and when your done you can remove the object.

If having problems still pm me and I'll explain more

But I don't know how to fix the other thing sorry T3T *has failed*

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:08 am »
*Pats* Is probably just a comp issue. Something I'm thinking is that I changed a 2000x2000 size file to 512x512 that probably made it pretty high resolution/DPI (I'm not sure what the exact term for that is XD).  I also changed it to 20x20 to see if that helped lol but it didn't make a difference.

As for the appearing objects...well for now its a minor issue if I keep crashing like this. o.o lol

OOH. I shall try changing the 20x20 to a bigger file...that oughta kill the rez. :P But it might also kill the heightmap....hmmm...I'll try it anyhow ^.^

Offline Jayfeather55

• Community Champion
  • It's been 6 years?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:47 am »
If I were to change my rendering system...what would I be changing it to. XD I get a "Which of these programs would you like to use to run FH (Auto-select OGRE program)" message whenever I go to open FH again after it crashes.

Noooo, don't change it there. You know the screen where you log-in? Click on the "Options" button. Go to the "video" tab, and change the rendering system :3

Annndd, the magical "re-appearing objects" are a glitch in the 1.09 version of the game ;(

Wolfsoul143

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 04:24:49 am »
If I were to change my rendering system...what would I be changing it to. XD I get a "Which of these programs would you like to use to run FH (Auto-select OGRE program)" message whenever I go to open FH again after it crashes.

I posted a temperairy fix for the "re-appearing object fix" I hope it will be fixed soon this is the fourth one I've awnsered today -_-"
Noooo, don't change it there. You know the screen where you log-in? Click on the "Options" button. Go to the "video" tab, and change the rendering system :3

Annndd, the magical "re-appearing objects" are a glitch in the 1.09 version of the game ;(

Offline Jayfeather55

• Community Champion
  • It's been 6 years?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:32:24 am »

Merp?

Offline Aedre

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:29 am »

Ah, but you see, I asked about it yesterday. XD Not today. Different thread. <3 thank you though. (Dun mind me joking >.> Just me notbeingfrustrated.)

But Meh =/ At least if it was consistent I could resign myself to the fact that the heightmap was 1. broken or 2. too much for my computer to handle. But I just spent ten minutes with the map loaded perfectly and I ran around it determining that, yes, the cliffs are definitely too high to jump up. So I went to load the smoother map (don't ask me why I say 'cliffs' and then want to be able to reach the top of them...my goodness I have a strange mind...) and it crashed. :P