Author Topic: Birthdays and Maps  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Crystal72

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • *looks over white counter* How may I help u?
    • View Profile
Birthdays and Maps
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:54:11 pm »
Not sure if this is the right topic...

Wow! It's been so long since I've posted-glad to see you floofs! The second of July was my birthday-and I got something really special-a Wacom bamboo tablet!

On that note, I've been playing around with Gimp, and I've finally started a map pack! Hopefully it'll be done before the end of Summer-here's a little sneak-peek of what it will include!

-A rainforest map-Glistening Jungles
-A savannah map-Wanyamapori Plains
-A desert map-Land of the Whirlwinds
-A canyon map-Kimbunga Canyon
-Two underwater maps-Tsunami Tides and Coral Cove
-A prairie map-Blooming Valley
-Two forest maps-Rainbow Woods and Needle Forest
-A tundra map-Permafrost Zone
-Two polar maps-Barafu Glacier and Utelezi Fields
-A mountain map-Mt. Vigumu
-A cavern map-Inatisha Tunnels
-A volcano map-Mt. Hasira

Tell me what you think! There will also be custom textures, and fitting music composed by myself and my father being played!

Cat on a rampage.

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthdays and Maps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »
My guess is this should go under maps, though I may be wrong c:

I want a Waccom Tablet so badly, drawing with a mouse just gets on my nerves. You really must've been inspired though, to want to create such a big map pack! Geez girl, that's... 15 maps! I can't wait to see the finished product, but until then good luck! :D

Offline Crystal72

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
My guess is this should go under maps, though I may be wrong c:

I want a Waccom Tablet so badly, drawing with a mouse just gets on my nerves. You really must've been inspired though, to want to create such a big map pack! Geez girl, that's... 15 maps! I can't wait to see the finished product, but until then good luck! :D
I have always marveled at the amazing map packs people create. As I would explore them, I would think: "Wow, I really want to do something like that!"

Cat on a rampage.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
Good luck with those maps then! I'd gladly search for any meshes you need too as a map maker.
Also, a tablet? Wow. Do tablets work on Gimp 2.8? That's what I'm asking. Sounds neat you got a wacom bamboo tablet! :D

Can't wait to see that map pack. c: (I've recently been working on a huge map pack myself.)

Offline Crystal72

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 05:02:06 pm »
Good luck with those maps then! I'd gladly search for any meshes you need too as a map maker.
Also, a tablet? Wow. Do tablets work on Gimp 2.8? That's what I'm asking. Sounds neat you got a wacom bamboo tablet! :D

Can't wait to see that map pack. c: (I've recently been working on a huge map pack myself.)

Tablets work on just about any program! It pretty much is like another kind of mouse. Also, thank you! :)

Cat on a rampage.

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:17:40 am »
Happy Birthday! Haha, two days late, oh well ^^" I think I got the same tablet as you just a few months ago, they're really handy, aren't they? ;)

This map project you are working on sounds really cool. That's quite a lot of maps so I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished map pack. I wish you all the best with it and I can't wait to see it! :D

Tablets work on just about any program! It pretty much is like another kind of mouse. Also, thank you! :)

Just adding on, I don't think GIMP has the "pressure sensitivity" option enabled. Meaning if you put pressure on the pen the line your drawing (for example) is thicker, the less pressure you put on the pen the thinner the line gets. I found this little video tutorial on how to enable or activate that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQl6ZQFDiJ4

-Plug in your tablet before opening GIMP
-Open GIMP, click Edit and select "Preferences"
-Select the "Input Devices" tab then click "Configure Extended Input Devices"
-You should see a list with your main mouse (mine is "Core Pointer") followed by a few other listings. Select ones that have "Tablet" in the name. Depending on what type of tablet you have the name will vary, but pick the one that looks like your specific device.
-The "Mode" will likely be set to "Disabled", so change it to "Screen" or "Window"
-Now your tablet should be set up and GIMP will make a darker line when you write harder
-If it doesn't work, try restarting GIMP
-Experiment with the different Dynamic options (on the bottom left) to get the effect you are looking for

(Pretty sure "Pencil Generic" is the one I was talking about?)

So yeah, I hope you find that useful, it helps especially when it comes to really detailed drawings and maps :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:36:11 am by Ingredient »
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Crystal72

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:08:09 am »
Happy Birthday! Haha, two days late, oh well ^^" I think I got the same tablet as you just a few months ago, they're really handy, aren't they? ;)

This map project you are working on sounds really cool. That's quite a lot of maps so I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished map pack. I wish you all the best with it and I can't wait to see it! :D

Just adding on, I don't think GIMP has the "pressure sensitivity" option enabled. Meaning if you put pressure on the pen the line your drawing (for example) is thicker, the less pressure you put on the pen the thinner the line gets. I found this little video tutorial on how to enable or activate that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQl6ZQFDiJ4

-Plug in your tablet before opening GIMP
-Open GIMP, click Edit and select "Preferences"
-Select the "Input Devices" tab then click "Configure Extended Input Devices"
-You should see a list with your main mouse (mine is "Core Pointer") followed by a few other listings. Select ones that have "Tablet" in the name. Depending on what type of tablet you have the name will vary, but pick the one that looks like your specific device.
-The "Mode" will likely be set to "Disabled", so change it to "Screen" or "Window"
-Now your tablet should be set up and GIMP will make a darker line when you write harder
-If it doesn't work, try restarting GIMP
-Experiment with the different Dynamic options (on the bottom left) to get the effect you are looking for

(Pretty sure "Pencil Generic" is the one I was talking about?)

So yeah, I hope you find that useful, it helps especially when it comes to really detailed drawings and maps :)

Thanks for that little how-to! I can't wait to show you all these maps!

Cat on a rampage.