Poll

SOPA/ACTA/PIPA?

I think they're a good idea to fight against pirating!
It's good to defend copyright laws, but they're taking it a bit far. (Sign a petition!)
I am against them. (Sign a petition to stop them!)
What? (Check out the many helpful links below for more information)

Author Topic: [16.07.12] Internet Censorship and Copyright Legislation  (Read 71975 times)

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
    • View Profile
Re: ACTA, SOPA, PIPA, Lawful Access...
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 12:52:15 am »
I've added the above link suggested by 'Pitbull, I've also found the Official White House Petition, so check the front page!

Offline BloodDeath

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 01:36:50 am »
This only proves that our goverment is STUPID. People go on websites like FH and YouTube just to take a rest from real life. But they don't relize that we are capable of surviving without our wonderful internet. And this also proves that the guys who created this bill don't relize that the internet can be FUN. I have no support for SOPA or PIPA. For every internet lover: Act now, or our paradise will vanish before our eyes! If you live anywhere near DC, protest directly! SAVE OUR INTERNET!

FoxfangPitbull

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:09 am »
Yeee boi, I'm so awesome :3
But yeah, Lamar Smith, he just needs to grow a pair

Offline galania

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:00 am »
on facebook for post picture of your favorite cartoon day. someone posted pciture that said this image has been removed due to copyright and underneath it said thanks sopa. it was joke but thats what would happen if any of these where passed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:19:50 am by skyblade »

Mutant Headcrab

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2012, 02:54:08 am »
INIT: divisiveop.mhc
RUN/

<-I, as a furred quadruped and not an autonomous observation platform, support these endeavors to more tightly regulate the flow of information.->
<-A rudimentary analysis indicates that this legislation will result in an estimated 72% decrease in unauthorized fan works, including but not limited to illustrations of poor construct relating to diminutive equines.->
<-It is the opinion of this unit that the only individuals who have anything to fear from this legislation are those actively engaged in theft of copyrighted materials.->

/END

Offline Lawcere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:22 am »
INIT: divisiveop.mhc
RUN/

<-I, as a furred quadruped and not an autonomous observation platform, support these endeavors to more tightly regulate the flow of information.->
<-A rudimentary analysis indicates that this legislation will result in an estimated 72% decrease in unauthorized fan works, including but not limited to illustrations of poor construct relating to diminutive equines.->
<-It is the opinion of this unit that the only individuals who have anything to fear from this legislation are those actively engaged in theft of copyrighted materials.->

/END

It's all very good in theory - theft is bad, on principle, but let's consider a few things.

Those MLP screenshots = copyrighted. That pretty much destroys half of everything on the internet. There are very, very few people who haven't in some way violated copyright law.

And what is wrong with fanworks? If they credit the original artist doesn't that just provide you with more fans?

Honestly, Hollywood is really not losing that much money because of pirating - they're losing money because they make horrible movies. I'm not going to a theatre and pay $15 to watch another crappy Pirates movie. I will, however, make it a point that if the movie I watch for free is decent, I'll buy it! I'll pay tons for something if it's worth it! I actually just bought 5 movies earlier today, Bluray, steelbooks. That's top dollar. ;)

The music industry... Well, there's not much difference between law and no law, because music artists never made that much money to begin with. With this law they still will not be paid any more than they have been. Music artists really only make money off of solid merchandise. Many musicians feature their work for free in the first place, as free publicity; their music is spread like wildfire across the internet, and actually their business is improved. As with movies, if I hear something I enjoy, I'll buy it! But I find the ability to freely listen to an entire CD before purchase much more logical than randomly buying a CD and realizing it was only that one song that I liked.

Copyright for fine art is more sound, I believe this law would work more to the benefit of those artists, but it still greatly restricts their creativity - an idea can be held to copyright rules. That... sucks.

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2012, 05:44:09 am »
I fully enjoy the fact that the poll bars make up an image of someone flipping the bird.
Sopa hasn't passed.

Haruki is pleased.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 05:49:24 am »
I fully enjoy the fact that the poll bars make up an image of someone flipping the bird.
Sopa hasn't passed.

Haruki is pleased.
:O It does look like that! OMG!

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

tigerzrule!

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »
what is this all about and i voted WHAT? cause i DID NOT understand any of it, is this happening in Aussie [Australia] aswell?

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »
what is this all about and i voted WHAT? cause i DID NOT understand any of it, is this happening in Aussie [Australia] aswell?

It will affect us, yes. If America takes down sites that are run there, we can no longer access them, and ACTA is an INTERNATIONAL one, meaning it is pretty much worldwide. They are planning to remove our freedoms when it comes to internet, removing any sites that could possibly have any copyrighted material on them, like youtube, grooveshark, deviantart, and image hosting sites, upload sites, things like that. FH as far as I have seen won't be extremely impacted, but it WILL be impacted in some way.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho